Roadworks/Travel disruption this weekend UPDATED

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

Roadworks/Travel disruption this weekend UPDATED

Post by Rizzo »

Here is the link to check road works.

http://leicester.elgin.gov.uk/

There are major roadworks on University Road between London Road and Regent Road. I believe that part is closed. There are also partial closures on Lancaster Road. Not sure about weekends but on weekdays these closure are causing considerable delays down the A6 from my end of town (Great Glen end).

There are temporary traffic lights on the dual mini-roundabout between Stoughton Road and Manor Road Oadby - again causing delays.

Please feel free to add any other roadworks or disruption spots to help people travelling into Leicester for the game.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Pam.B

Re: Reminder - Road works this weekend.

Post by Pam.B »

Thanks Rizzo :smt001
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

Word of warning, the ones near to Stoughton Road are particularly bad and this was when I witnessed it at mid afternoon. I am unaware if it gets particularly busy on a match day but if it does then it is worth compensating by leaving 10 - 15 minutes earlier than normal.
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Bumping this back to the top.

There are ongoing roadworks on the University Road/London Road stretch, and part of Lancaster Road is closed off. Delays on the A6 from Oadby onwards due to this.

Also please note that there is a planned march/demonstration by EDL in Leicester on Saturday 4th February. There may be an opposing demonstration group as well, the police are keeping their news page updated but many city centre pubs will be closed on Saturday due to this demonstration. If you generally go into the city centre before or after the game, please be aware of pub closures, and also the potential for trouble.

Leicestershire Police updates are here. http://www.leics.police.uk/news/6011_ci ... anuary_16/

Also on twitter @LeicsPolice for updates.
Demelza - another Mother
Pam.B

Re: Reminder - Road works this weekend UPDATED

Post by Pam.B »

Thanks Rizzo :smt001
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Don't know what'll see more action, the match or the march!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
No. 3

Post by No. 3 »

http://www.leics.police.uk/news/6018_po ... following/

Latest on demo - one element takes place quite close to the ground...
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I have had a reply from LeicsPolice on twitter.

LeicestershirePolice @leicspolice
Marches are due to commence at 12.30pm will be some disruption in city our aim is for the city to return to normal asap.

My usual pub (The Old Horse at Victoria Park) is currently saying it will be closed until at least 1pm or shortly after.
Demelza - another Mother
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

What time does the STC (sack the coaches) march start? I'm guessing around 4.45ish. :smt002
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Well if the marches start at 12.30pm hopefully they'll have had chance to clear off by the time we start arriving for the game. Very annoyed that they've given the go ahead to this lot to march on this Saturday. Surely it would have made more sense to push them into a Sunday march? Hence limiting their booze consumption and securing a quieter city centre with less people to be caught up in the trouble (the EDL are there of course there will be trouble).
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

sam16111986 wrote:... (the EDL are there of course there will be trouble).
Really?

I'm not defending the EDL nor am I in any way advocating their policies but, if they were allowed to march by themselves, would there be trouble? As far as I can see, the problems only occur when a counter-demonstration by some anti-fascist outfit is allowed to take place on the same day. The EDL has announced its intention to march on 4 Feb: if another lot want to hold a counter-demonstration, why not do it the following day? By counter-demonstrating on the same day, it seems painfully obvious to me they are the ones looking to cause trouble and not the EDL.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

The EDL has history for causing trouble in the places it goes to march. Whether this is down to the strict EDL following or the hangers on that arrive from all over the place and think that it will be fun to play up I don't know. I certainly agree the counter demonstrators are stirring up more trouble but they weren't the ones trashing the city centre last time out.

I don't wish to brand the EDL with any unpleasent names because as I said I don't know whether it's their followers or just some trouble makers that like to tag along but there tends to be issues when they march.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Admittedly, I am somewhat cocooned up here in my Derbyshire backwater - I think the last march that took place nearby was something to do with the Pentrich Revolution. I didn't see the damage in Leicester after the last EDL march but I'm sure any damage caused this coming weekend will increase if some anti-fascist counter-march is suddenly arranged for the same day.

Anyway, we're getting off-topic and in danger of Rizzo throwing something at us. :smt002
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Heard EDL march up ST Margarets Way from the pastures, AFL march from Welford Place...oh dear too close to the ground for my liking!! :smt013

Running battles on Mandella Park?? :smt017

As someone said fancy Sir Peter and the Boys in Blue allowing it on a rugby day, bet if the roundyballers were at home it would not be happening!! :smt010
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Link for route : http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/L ... story.html keeping every one informed so can avoid the problem areas...ie A6 into town from Abbey Park Road, Newarke Street and surrounding areas....

Hope this helps everyone :smt024
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!