Squad changes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Squad changes

Post by Bunchy »

No shocks - will be interesting to see who is on the way in as well as Benjamin. You could argue we do not need direct replacements for Staunton and Grindall, leaving the potential to strengthen ther areas...

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/S ... story.html
Less is more....
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Squad changes

Post by Rykard »

some of that sounds sensible... hope the signings are good though and not also rans... be a shame to see Agulla go but I think Alex has earned his pension - sad to see him go, but wish him well.
cheers
Rich
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

According to sky sports Northampton are leading in the chase for Benjamin's signature now that Ashton is on his way too Saracens. Maybe this is what Benjamin has been waiting for.
Cheery chappy
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

veteran prop Julian White is set to finally hang up his boots and pick up his farming wellies full-time. White will have his 39th birthday before the end of this season.
Message to the board:

Can the Welford road faithfull please have an opportunity to say a big and appropriate thank you to a wonderful servant of our club!

A lap of honour at our final home game of the season please!

All in favour say Aye!
Antony D

Post by Antony D »

AYE to that

we need to give both Julian W and AT a big send off and thank you!!

I can't say I am that sorry to loose Skeffington, don't think he has fitted in to squad

with Geoff Parling and Ed Slater future is bright at 4-5 :smt041
Antony

I cook with Wine, sometimes I even put it in the food!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Bunchy wrote:No shocks - will be interesting to see who is on the way in as well as Benjamin. You could argue we do not need direct replacements for Staunton and Grindall, leaving the potential to strengthen ther areas...

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/S ... story.html
Having recruited Mickey Young and finally given Sam Harrison some games, there is no need for another scrum-half. Any fourth choice can come from the Academy if needed (or we can bring in a rubbish short-term loan signing again). However, with Flood certain to miss a third of every season with England and injury, we do need good cover at FH.

With any luck the increased cap for next season and the salaries that are being saved with this clear-out should provide enough to actually recruit a fly-half that you would not worry about being the front-line 10 for a large part of the season.

A guy like Sam Vesty or Andy Goode would be ideal - a capped player with plenty of European experience - but failing that we'll probably end up with Jimmy Gopperth when Falcons go down.

Mind you, word is that Gloucester are sniffing around Stephen Jones, who is looking for a final contract before retirement. He might be good for one more season before Ford breaks through properly.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

aye
cheers
Rich
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

AYE! Come on Whitey!

Maybe the bosses could arrange for Sheridan and O'Kelly to make make an appearance...

As for the departures, it's a no-brainer for Alex to go chasing the yen for his last few seasons - might as well get the dough in the safe while he can.

Benjamin would be a great buy but I'd say Saints have the edge on us in the desirability department at the moment.

The article implied that if Grindal and Staunton are released then they won't be replaced as we'd want to trim the squad post-RWC. I think this is fair enough as we'd have Youngs, Young and Harrison fighting for the 9 jersey and then a straight battle between Flood and Ford with Twelvetrees for emergency back-up.

Skivington's an odd one. Before the emergence of Slater I'd have said we'd be mad to let him go, but he's not getting any younger and the likes of Kitchener, Croft and Mafi provide ample balast to the locking resources.

Lee Robinson - has he ever actually played for the first team?

The biggest shame would be seeing Agulla go purely on the grounds of availability as he's been excellent for us since he arrived. Great pity if the Quad Nations means we have to wave goodbye to him.

I think new signings will be few and far between between now and the end of the summer!
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Do you think 12trees will still be with Tigers next year ?
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

I sincerely hope so!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I think Billy will be here next year but I am starting to wonder whether Anthony Allen will be. Gloucester need an IC and he would fit the bill for them whilst his performances for Tigers this year haven't been what they were last year and add into that he'll no doubt want a significant rise in wages where as Tigers will be fighting against the cap because of the renewals of Cole and Ayerza along with Savli coming in full time.

Maybe that will lead to a marquee signing 10/12 coming in?

Heard rumours of Delve as a possible replacement for Waldrom should he decide to leave.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

sam16111986 wrote:I think Billy will be here next year but I am starting to wonder whether Anthony Allen will be. Gloucester need an IC and he would fit the bill for them whilst his performances for Tigers this year haven't been what they were last year and add into that he'll no doubt want a significant rise in wages where as Tigers will be fighting against the cap because of the renewals of Cole and Ayerza along with Savli coming in full time.

Maybe that will lead to a marquee signing 10/12 coming in?

Heard rumours of Delve as a possible replacement for Waldrom should he decide to leave.
Delve is excellent but has proved a bit injury prone. TTTE is a flanker, remember. Boring repeat - why not Slater? Classic 8 profile.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

Hasn't Waldrom just signed a new contract/contract extension?
Blimey...
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

why not Slater? Classic 8 profile
I second that! :smt038
I hope not. I would rather see Slater and hopefully the returning Crane next season and bring in a top class lock. We have enough backrows who could fill in at 8 in an emergency and maybe the odd youngster from the academy.
Cheery chappy
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

why not Slater? Classic 8 profile
I second that! :smt038
I hope not. I would rather see Slater and hopefully the returning Crane next season and bring in a top class lock. We have enough backrows who could fill in at 8 in an emergency and maybe the odd youngster from the academy.
Cheery chappy