Does the Salaty Cap really excist?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

quincy

Does the Salaty Cap really excist?

Post by quincy »

Does the salary Cap really excist?
There seems to be many complaints regarding the salary cap in the Premiership and how it destroys a clubs overall performances. Many of the arguments seem to come from sides such as leicester who are just not performing the way they were some five to ten years ago.
Its funny that other clubs just dont seem to complain as much as we do.
Are we the only club in England who actually stick to all the salary cap rules?
I just dont think that anyone is so nieve to really believe that the rules are not manipulated (a better word than the one I could use) to get the best players available. Especially with clubs like Bath. Saracens and Harlequins, who have, by all accounts have massive financial clout from their owners and supporters.
I do however support a level playing field but feel that Leicester should just get on with it, without all the moaning from their coach, who continues to attempt to protect his position using this type of reteric. Its the players performance that counts not how much they cost - look at Chelsea for example.
Finally may I just ask the one question of the backs coach. Do we actually have a backs move?
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Does the Salaty Cap really excist?

Post by tb1 »

BJ is gonna love this.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

tb1 wrote:BJ is gonna love this.
I have given up bothering.

If you highlight a person's error, nine times out of ten you get your head bitten off and told to mind your own business. I have decided to let such people wallow in their own ignorance as it is plainly obvious they cannot cope with having their mistakes pointed out to them.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

BJ. wrote:
tb1 wrote:BJ is gonna love this.
I have given up bothering.

If you highlight a person's error, nine times out of ten you get your head bitten off and told to mind your own business. I have decided to let such people wallow in their own ignorance as it is plainly obvious they cannot cope with having their mistakes pointed out to them.
Then why don't you? It is very rude out of order to say the least to call somebody "ignorant" because of spelling errors. I thought it broke the forum rules too !! I only hope you never fall from your ivory tower and hurt yourself.
Less is more....
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Maybe not everybody is as well educated as BJ. Is it really necessary to always pass comment at other peoples misfortunes or spelling mistakes?

You may not like what you read or how a post is spelt but do really always have to be so high and mighty about everything?
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

I rest my case.

The last two posts clearly demonstrate the 'aggressive defensive' stance some people take when they are told they are wrong. If I make a mistake, I welcome it being pointed out to me so hopefully I don't repeat it: it is called learning.

As for being as well educated, how long does it take to run a post through a spellchecker?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

BJ. wrote:I rest my case.

The last two posts clearly demonstrate the 'aggressive defensive' stance some people take when they are told they are wrong. If I make a mistake, I welcome it being pointed out to me so hopefully I don't repeat it: it is called learning.

As for being as well educated, how long does it take to run a post through a spellchecker?
No its called being pedantic :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Please stick to the subject of the topic and discuss that only. Further posts going off topic will be removed.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Rizzo wrote:Please stick to the subject of the topic and discuss that only. Further posts going off topic will be removed.
Point taken, Rizzo. :smt001
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

It's all so silly really. If the Premiership was really worried about the cap it would invest time and money in investigating the club's accounts. They'd only have to do it once and fine a couple of clubs where it really hurts - league points - to nip it in the bud.

However, I agree with the sentiment of the thread (if I understand it correctly). It's a bit of a Catch-22 type situation. The group that formally decides has a majority of those who cannot afford more and thus keep the cap as low as they can. Conversely, once implemented, there is little incentive to poke about too closely as the rich backers might throw their toys in the corner and leave.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

DickyP wrote:It's all so silly really. If the Premiership was really worried about the cap it would invest time and money in investigating the club's accounts. They'd only have to do it once and fine a couple of clubs where it really hurts - league points - to nip it in the bud.

PRL already do investigate each club's annual accounts. They also receive a copy of very single player contract.

PRL employ independent auditors to review & enforce the salary cap regulations across all Prem clubs and have done so for a number of years.
Put simply, the loopholes that you believe are being exploited, aren't.

Tigers publically complain about the cap because the board & management of the club know that supporters love to lap it up & repeat it ad infinitum as an excuse for poor performance in Europe, regardless of whether it is the only/principal reason or not. It is an easy distraction technique that the club's management & media have learnt & that the supporterbase rarely challenges as it is more convenient for them not to.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

IMO there is only one club where this may be an issue, and they have exploited a loophole perhaps to do with player loan and main employer?
NB not Tigers.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

me2 wrote:
DickyP wrote:It's all so silly really. If the Premiership was really worried about the cap it would invest time and money in investigating the club's accounts. They'd only have to do it once and fine a couple of clubs where it really hurts - league points - to nip it in the bud.

PRL already do investigate each club's annual accounts. They also receive a copy of very single player contract.

PRL employ independent auditors to review & enforce the salary cap regulations across all Prem clubs and have done so for a number of years.
Put simply, the loopholes that you believe are being exploited, aren't.

Tigers publically complain about the cap because the board & management of the club know that supporters love to lap it up & repeat it ad infinitum as an excuse for poor performance in Europe, regardless of whether it is the only/principal reason or not. It is an easy distraction technique that the club's management & media have learnt & that the supporterbase rarely challenges as it is more convenient for them not to.
There's scrutiny and then there's scrutiny - I was an auditor for many years and I can assure there is always a huge difference between checking the accounts and checking what they refer to: that's how the big banks got into trouble and how mega-corporations hide debts for decades (Enron etc). If it's in the scrutineer's/auditor's interest to accept the accounts they will do so.

The point of my post was not that there is no scrutiny but that there is no will to do more than confirm the letter of the law - it's a matter of the will to confront the real problem as opposed to following the MP's defence of "I complied with the rules"
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Sport never fully adheres to financial rules.

There used to be strict rules on how much jockeys and footballers could be paid, so they used to get "sock money". Literally rolled up banknotes shoved into their socks after a win or whatever.

The only people remotely troubled by this practice were the IR who wanted it taxed.

And do we really believe during those halcyon amateur olympic days that famous American athletes and Captain this and Major that of the Russian squad were not full time at their sport?
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

quincy wrote:Does the salary Cap really excist?
There seems to be many complaints regarding the salary cap in the Premiership and how it destroys a clubs overall performances. Many of the arguments seem to come from sides such as leicester who are just not performing the way they were some five to ten years ago.
Its funny that other clubs just dont seem to complain as much as we do.
Are we the only club in England who actually stick to all the salary cap rules?
I just dont think that anyone is so nieve to really believe that the rules are not manipulated (a better word than the one I could use) to get the best players available. Especially with clubs like Bath. Saracens and Harlequins, who have, by all accounts have massive financial clout from their owners and supporters.
I do however support a level playing field but feel that Leicester should just get on with it, without all the moaning from their coach, who continues to attempt to protect his position using this type of reteric. Its the players performance that counts not how much they cost - look at Chelsea for example.
Finally may I just ask the one question of the backs coach. Do we actually have a backs move?
I absolutely do not support levelling the playing field in the financial sense for the English game. Particularly one that exists only in England and not the rest of the world. Its completely uncompetetive and unrealistic and i cant think of another industry in which it happens or would be allowed to happen.

Its a small world these days and players like any other worker can choose where they want to live and earn their living. Why go to the place that caps your salary and at the same time has some of the highest taxes in the world ?