A Deafening Silence

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Re: A Deafening Silence

Post by bluntiger »

mol2 wrote:Haven't gates been down for a couple of years now?
Here are the average attendances:

2008/9 17886 (included three games at the Walkers)
2009/10 20666 - New CAT Stand opened
2010/11 19896
2011/12 20005 - after 10 games

The bad news is that we will probably only play 17 home games this season (assuming no home play-off and no invitational International) as opposed to 18 in the last two seasons.
Always a Tiger
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

If you believe that losing a game of rugby and having a generally off season all round equates to a club in crisis then you must lead a very sheltered life.

Are we in financial ruin? No. Are crowds tumbling? No. Are players desperate to leave the club? No. Are staff not being paid? No. Have the bailiffs arrived? No. Have we stopped all investment? No.
If you believe it's just a slight problem that will go away on it's own you are in a serious state of denial.
A couple of minor changes? The understatement of the decade! Get real.
Without a successful team, all the off field stuff is meaningless.
There is no doubt that the team is rudderless and the coaches clueless.
They have been given so much slack and time to get it right it is infuriating.
Do you seriously want more and more of this stuff?
Will the club stay well financed and well run if this carries on?
The team in this state is in a crisis. Some serious action has to be taken
and not just by the coaches.
The board must act.
A life long Tiger
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

I think Friday night's game reiturates the fact that English clubs by and large are not able to compete with the current Salary Cap restrictions. It has become a complete farce and until the RFU do something about it, Ireland & France will continue to dominate the Heineken Cup. We were playing against an Ulster side that included 13 internationals including a third of the team from South Africa.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Smudge wrote:If you believe it's just a slight problem that will go away on it's own you are in a serious state of denial.
A couple of minor changes? The understatement of the decade! Get real.
Without a successful team, all the off field stuff is meaningless.
There is no doubt that the team is rudderless and the coaches clueless.
They have been given so much slack and time to get it right it is infuriating.
Do you seriously want more and more of this stuff?
Will the club stay well financed and well run if this carries on?
The team in this state is in a crisis. Some serious action has to be taken
and not just by the coaches.
The board must act.
First the club was in crisis (your original post : 'Surely the club is in a state of crisis and an emergency board meeting is called for?') and now just the team are in crisis. The rest is your opinion so please don't present it to us as fact.

You say 'There is no doubt that the team is rudderless and the coaches clueless'. Just your opinion so I'm afraid that there is considerable doubt as has been seen from the amount of debate on several threads here.
Always a Tiger
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Clearly my opinion. Ernestly expressed as is my right.
A life long Tiger
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

mightymouse wrote:and during the malaise last year we reached a premiership final - many clubs would like a malaise like that

I agree we are not having a good year - but one can also blame The world cup , a ridiculous schedule, a wage cap that hamstrings us verus other European countries and a bad string of injuries.

Do I think every thing in the Tiger Garden is rosie? - No

Do I think the club is in crisis? - NO

Could we do with a revised coaching structure? - possibly

Do we need to get rid of all our current players? - NO

Should we purchase wisely within whatever constarints the wage cap put on us next year and bin a few fringe players that have not worked out? - YES

Will I be there on Saturday? - YES

Will I cheer the team? - YES

Do I think we should put out our best team? - NO

Would I be annoyed if we lost? - YES

Major problems as I see it are

1) speed of ball won - issue with back row balance, particularly 7

2) use of ball - issue with midfield and tactics

3) without Manu we look toothless - ie not enough power pace or guile in the backs
Well summarised. Probably the view of most sane supporters except I would change the 'possibly' of the coaching statement to 'certainly'. And I don't think we need new players at all, just a little luck and a lot more coaching input. I personally do not blame the players.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Some sense amongst the madness,maybe we could ask the board to act by throwing the whingers off this board,then everything would be fine. :smt039
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

[quote="tigerburnie"]Some sense amongst the madness,maybe we could ask the board to act by throwing the whingers off this board,then everything would be fine. :smt039[/quote

If only :smt047
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Antony D

Post by Antony D »

Some very good comments, I was at the Ulster game as a guest of a Ulster member and box holder - did he expect Ultster to Win - YES did he expect to win and get a bounus point NO - Ulster are playing out of their skins at the moment look out Clememont

Should the team reflect on loss - YES should the board act - NO - anyone who read Casto's tweet can understand what it meant to him

It also cost me a lot of beer! -
Antony

I cook with Wine, sometimes I even put it in the food!
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Yes the club is in a playing crisis and this malaise will affect all other things to do with Tigers if it were allowed to fester for much longer.Maybe the board plan a clearout at the end of the season when there is a quieter time and less media focus.

Our players have collectively lost the will and the skill to win. Changing the coaching staff would seem to me to be the least that can be done. New ideas and personalities can then see which players can up to it and which are not good enough.

Newcastle? I suspect are in full fall, they might be very close to technical insolvency, they may be going to go through relegation and emerge a much stronger club as the Saints did.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="Isambard"]Yes the club is in a playing crisis and this malaise will affect all other things to do with Tigers if it were allowed to fester for much longer.Maybe the board plan a clearout at the end of the season when there is a quieter time and less media focus.

Our players have collectively lost the will and the skill to win. Changing the coaching staff would seem to me to be the least that can be done. New ideas and personalities can then see which players can up to it and which are not good enough.

Newcastle? I suspect are in full fall, they might be very close to technical insolvency, they may be going to go through relegation and emerge a much stronger club as the Saints did.[/quote]

Oh no! That's really careless of the players! Have they all lost both will and skill or have some lost just their will or just their skill?It is indeed a crisis.
Are Newcastle close to technical insolvency? A shame if true.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Isambard wrote:Maybe the board plan a clearout at the end of the season when there is a quieter time and less media focus.
Not possible, most (quality) players and coaches will be committed to where ever they will be for next season BEFORE this season ends - see the Ashton situation.

So if there is a clearout, it will be happening as we speak. A few questions first though:

Who is surplus to requirements - Robinson, Grindall, Staunton
Who will make it back from injury or not - Crane, Deacon, Tait
Who will come up through the ranks - Ford, Green etc.
Who is committed contractually for next year - Castro et al.
Who is not yet contractually committed - 12T etc.
Where are the gaps.
What can we afford? Wage cap, Marquee player ....

All that needs to have already happened and the last two questions already answered and players identified. You simply can't do that in the close season with any real hope of success.
Always a Tiger
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

An earlier reply mentioned players not wanting to leave as part of the measure
of a club in crisis?
How then do you explain Billy wanting away> Alex and Scrivs etc.

Now over a week and no comment from the board so obviously all is believed to be well.

Clearly the Peters are not going to announce they are sounding out replacement
coaches at the moment but I certainly hope they are.
A life long Tiger
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Smudge - did you miss Peter's comments in the article linked further up this thread? What do you expect him to do, come on here and reply?
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I missed his very bland reponse which I have just read. Does he have shares in Costa cruises?

Meanwhile Radio Leicester are devoting as much time to Oadby Football Club and others as to the Tigers.