Next England Captain

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Next England Captain

Post by Daveyboy »

On Sky Sports tonight, there was brief interview with Dylan Hartley being suggested as a potential candidate for England Captain.

Would the panel consider this a wise choice?
Last edited by Daveyboy on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Next England Captain

Post by MJ Chairman »

I don't think he does a bad job at Stains and is certainly number 1 in his position in the country.
Still question marks over his temperament though.
palm1990

Post by palm1990 »

Surely has to be someone whos got the shirt nailed down and the only person who has is crofty, with woods coming a close 2nd.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Don't be stupid,what with the London-centric media, got to be Farrell :smt005

Personally I'd go for Robshaw, who I think is excellent and has the warrior spirit.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I agree JG, Robshaw should be the man, if he can make the step up. Hartley is rarely on the field for the full game, and is too easy to wind up, and too temperamental.

The team needs to develop leaders more than it needs a "captain".

Don't rule out YBY in the future, or Toby.
Valhalla I am coming!
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

to be fair hartley is a lot better than he used to be, his temperament has improved loads since saints made him captain.

hartley is probably the only choice that is guaranteed to be number 1 in his position throughout the whole six nations - the back row has too many choices and unknowns to make anyone captain yet and no one is guaranteed a place.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

I too am in the Robshaw camp for captain. But is he an international 7?

If he isn't he probably isn't our best 6. In which case is he our best 8?

All good questions which are perhaps the basis for another discussion.

But the only way to find our if the answer to the first question is yes, is to pick him there for at least a couple of games and see.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Pick your side then pick your captain otherwise you weaken your side and put the captain in an impossible situation - remember when Phil DeGlanville was made captain in spite of Guscott and Carling being absolutely streets ahead of him as centres.

Talk of Robshaw being captain are premature unless Lancaster is certain he is a certainty in the side. I don't see that as sensible until he's actually proven himself as a regular starter.

How many certainties are there in the England side? Manu, Youngs, Cole, Ashton and Hartley and only one of those has any experience as a captain. Even Croft isn't a nailed on starter - much depends on the overall make up of the back row.
For me it has to be Hartley although the front row isn't an ideal position to view what's going on.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

A couple of picks in the EPS suggest to me that Lancaster is somewhat enthralled by Stains at the moment. Hartley would therefore be my bet.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

With the squad the way it is at the moment I would pick the captain game by game. After the 6 nations, when things are a bit clearer, you can then pick your captain going forward.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Will S wrote:With the squad the way it is at the moment I would pick the captain game by game. After the 6 nations, when things are a bit clearer, you can then pick your captain going forward.
That's not a bad idea. After all, Stuart Lancaster has only got the job for the 6 Nations and, if he's not kept on afterwards, his successor could turn everything upside down and name their own captain. The idea of having a 'Captain for the Day' would keep the potential candidates for the permanent post interested. It would also reinforce the belief that this 6N campaign is going to be experimental and results will not be the be all and end all.

We've got tickets for the Italy match and my interest in this fixture has increased dramatically after the naming of the squad. I've honestly no idea how England will play and I believe the more experienced Italian side will think a famous scalp could be theirs for the taking.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

BJ. wrote:
Will S wrote:With the squad the way it is at the moment I would pick the captain game by game. After the 6 nations, when things are a bit clearer, you can then pick your captain going forward.
That's not a bad idea. After all, Stuart Lancaster has only got the job for the 6 Nations and, if he's not kept on afterwards, his successor could turn everything upside down and name their own captain. The idea of having a 'Captain for the Day' would keep the potential candidates for the permanent post interested. It would also reinforce the belief that this 6N campaign is going to be experimental and results will not be the be all and end all.

We've got tickets for the Italy match and my interest in this fixture has increased dramatically after the naming of the squad. I've honestly no idea how England will play and I believe the more experienced Italian side will think a famous scalp could be theirs for the taking.
If only! :smt003
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

mol2 wrote: For me it has to be Hartley although the front row isn't an ideal position to view what's going on.
A certain Sean Fitzpatrick might disagree with that!

Ads
Bertos

Post by Bertos »

BJ. wrote:
I agree to an extent but I'd be tempted to name a captain for the tournament but make sure it is made clear that this is the case.

Personally I would name Palmer as I think he is one of the big figures in the team, he is going to be first choice and he plays in a good position for a captain.

By doing it this way it gives us time to see which back row candidate will be in the starting line up and wheter Robshaw can make the jump to International level (I'm sure he will). The problem with naming Croft, Wood or Robshaw is that they all are primarily No. 6s so they might not all feature in a balanced back row so as good as they all are, can they be gaurenteed a place in the starting line up?

If Palmer is named for the tounament then Lancaster or whoever is incharge in the summer will have a better idea who his first choice lineup is and can name the captain accordingly.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

In many ways I think the captaincy issue is linked to Lancaster's back row selections. No real 7! I think he will go with Wood or Robshaw but they will have to play at 7, because Croft is by far the outstanding 6 in the country, and he simply adds an extra dimension to the team. If Lancaster had selected Saull od Saracens he would have been hard pushed to not pick him.

This concerns me and it is something Lancester cannot afford to do. His captain has to beable to hold off all oposition in his position and Croft is one of the few who can do that. I do not think he should be captain but who is is a real dilema.