If you can't wait for the EPS, here it is

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerMuz

Re: If you can't wait for the EPS, here it is

Post by TigerMuz »

What does TTTE have to do to get an England cap? Whilst it is great news for Tigers that he is only in the Saxons squad, he has been our MOTM often this season and constantly breaks the gain line, seriously think that he should be in the squad.

However, having him in the Tigers squad for much of 6 Nations will be a huge boost for us in a key part of the season!

Laughing at people slipping on the treacherous Crumbie Stand steps since 2004
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

why should he get a cap though? there is very little chance of him being first choice in 4 years and he offers no experience so what advantage does it have playin TTE rather than morgan? easter has been putting in some great performances for quins (as much as i hate to say it) so if its on form surely he should be in rather than TTE as his form has been good enough to not warrant being dropped.

most of the picks are clearly looking to the future which is a good thing!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

why should he get a cap though? there is very little chance of him being first choice in 4 years and he offers no experience so what advantage does it have playin TTE rather than morgan?
If he was on form, and playing better than Morgan, then he'd certainly deserve a cap; at the 2015 RWC he'll only be 32, so about the same age as Easter was in NZ, and only a year or so older than Dallaglio in 2003.

At the moment he probably isn't on better form, but it would be wrong to write him off entirely. :smt001 Personally, I'd have preferred him over Dowson, but hey, I'm not the England coach! :smt003
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

very true, i always think he older than he actually is!! i still think giving a first cap to a 28 year old isnt really plannin for the future though.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Cardiff Tig wrote:very true, i always think he older than he actually is!! i still think giving a first cap to a 28 year old isnt really plannin for the future though.
Its not often I disagree with you but on this occasion I think you are wrong. A lot of forwards are in their prime at 32 so Waldrom would be just right at the next world cup. Look at J.White Esq now and the likes of Johnson, Dayglo, Hill and Back at the 2003/2007 WC
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

On the Radio Leicester rugby show last night they thought Ed Slater would be called up to replace Geoff Parling in the saxons and Matt Smith or Jonathan Joseph would replace Henry Trinder.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

Flood and Manu due back from injury on the international rest week, a bit of game time with Tigers against Saracens maybe.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

In terms of 6N impact on AP remember Gloucester lose 4 to Scotland squad, Irish 2, Sale 2 and Newcastle 1.

Wales may take 1 or 2 from Sale as well. I don't think the Irish or French include any AP players.

Exeter will prosper most in this period ... perhaps they are the biggest threat to our and Saints Top 4 finish ambitions.

They have 3 homes , Tigers, Bath and Sale and one away to Wasps in 6N period.

16 points at least I would say.

I still think we will finish ahead of them come May but as we all know International rugby is the most important part of the game and everything else has to come 3rd or 4th in priority... so the top clubs shouldn't worry about it and it is a good handicap system to give smaller clubs a chance to shine. Our pride and joy in having so many international players in our squad is our compensation for the fact we find ourselves in a scrap for 4th place.

I think this is what Sarries said this week or perhaps they said something else we can agree with.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I have had chance to reflect on the EPS squad and to temper my intial reaction.
My considered conclusion is
1 This has several very poor selections
2 For several positions (e.g. LH, Hooker,10) there are at least two better players in the AP who are England qualified
3 Too much going on about youth disguises the fact that getting hammered by Scotland could be on the cards if we have weakness at LH, a fragile talent at 10 (either Hodgson or Farrell) and no brains in the centres
4 The brightest lights are the back row, TH, lock, SH and FB
5 The Saxons are a better selection in many positions
6 A SH manager/Mallett/Kirwan would definitely not make some of these selections

Not really a happy bunny either, because we lose too many again.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

The thing I don't understand is that the press are talking about our bright young stars coming through and how we are going to be playing a more exciting brand of rugby. In the same breath they are saying Hodgson should start at 10 with Barritt at 12 and Farrell at 13. IMO Saracens have a great back three but despite this the only way their backs have scored trys lately has been a Strettle intercept against Quins and a great solo effort by Wyles against Bath. I can't see how having a Saffas 10, 12 and 13 combo is going to break down an international defence when they have been unable to do it a premiership level (apart from the Strettle intercept and Wyles solo effort you have to go all the way back to their HC game against Treviso to find the last time a back crossed the try line for them). Don't get me wrong they are great defending and Farrell has a wonderful boot but going forward do they offer anything more than a Hape Tindall midfield?
nasher

Post by nasher »

Question: If this lot get well beaten in the Six Nations and a new man (Mallett or Cotter) gets the permanent position how long is the new man stuck with these 32 players?
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

I can't see how having a Saffas 10, 12 and 13 combo is going to break down an international defence
My fears as well.

Hodgson is a probably Floods equal when it comes to his passing game, but Barrit t and Farrell have about as much creative spark as Julian White.
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

adamv6 wrote:
I can't see how having a Saffas 10, 12 and 13 combo is going to break down an international defence
My fears as well.

Hodgson is a probably Floods equal when it comes to his passing game, but Barrit t and Farrell have about as much creative spark as Julian White.
Excuse me but don't diss the great man :smt013
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.