Does ITV have a London bias, or what?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Does ITV have a London bias, or what?

Post by Kinoulton »

I've never joined in the bashing of the BBC, or Sky, or even Stuart Barnes, and fail to see the supposed unfairness towards Tigers.

But I was genuinely suprised watching ITV's programme on Sunday night as to how openly London-centric the entire ITV team are.

Tigers performace was described as "stodgy". Well it was a pretty stodgy pitch, so to get 29 points against decent opposition was not bad.

The commentator for the Irish v Sale game was so biased that he went mad every time Irish scored, kept relatively quiet when Sale scored, and most incredibly, when Irish scored a try to put the game back in the balance he said "Let's hope the conversion goes over".

Even the Sarries v Bath game, by no means a north v south affair, clearly had ITV boys wanting a Sarries win.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Does ITV have a London bias, or what?

Post by sapajo »

Yes they do and it is mini hysteria enjendered by the comparative recent and short term success of certain London based clubs. Success is transitory but only greatness is permanent. Tigers are a truly great rugby club whose prowess, success and achievements continue to be legion. :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Tigers performance WAS stodgy. We made it twice as difficult as it needed to be, the kicking especially by Youngs was poor and we missed a simple defensive move to gift them a try and we missed two tries of our own. Many of the print journos commented on how annoyed and frustrated the crowd were getting so this opinion is not just mine. But, yes the media are London centric in everything they do.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

I noticed it was really prevalent during the RWC (please please please don't let ITV had the 2015 tournament).

Dayglo spend 3 minutes waxing on about James Haskell, the most dynamic ball carrier in the England squad when he had carried twice in 45mins!

At least the presenters are fairly open minded, if the commentators are not.
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

adamv6 wrote:Dayglo spend 3 minutes waxing on about James Haskell, the most dynamic ball carrier in the England squad when he had carried twice in 45mins!
That is not London bias but it is a clear conflict of interest. Dayglo (as far as I am aware) is still on the Wasps board and is/was responsible for player recruitment and contracts so he uses his media opportunities to play up Wasps' players or compliment players they are looking to attract (or attract back, in Haskell's case).
Always a Tiger
exiledandy

Post by exiledandy »

what
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I don't know why you complain, just accept that lazy journos latch onto the fashionable names and know sweet-:censored:-adams about a lot of others. Right now they cannot stop repeating 'Owen Farrell' - and if Lancaster is stupid enough to build a side around this over-rated love-child, then that's Lancaster's long suicide note. Homer has more talent, let alone Burns, 12T and several others.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

It amuses me how a certain TV company constantly refers to a particular French club as 'Jonny Wilkinson's Toulon' as if the only way we would have heard of them was by the fact he plays for them. The trouble is this TV company, which would broadcast nothing but football 25/8 if it had the chance, treats its viewers as if they have the mentality of a Millwall supporter.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

jgriffin wrote:I don't know why you complain, just accept that lazy journos latch onto the fashionable names and know sweet-:censored:-adams about a lot of others. Right now they cannot stop repeating 'Owen Farrell' - and if Lancaster is stupid enough to build a side around this over-rated love-child, then that's Lancaster's long suicide note. Homer has more talent, let alone Burns, 12T and several others.
Sigh...........
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Is the censor banning the term F.....A.... because it stands for something or because it has an association with football? :smt001
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Kinoulton wrote:Is the censor banning the term F.....A.... because it stands for something or because it has an association with football? :smt001
It appears the filter does not like the diminutive form of Frances or something resembling a fan.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BJ. wrote:
Kinoulton wrote:Is the censor banning the term F.....A.... because it stands for something or because it has an association with football? :smt001
It appears the filter does not like the diminutive form of Frances or something resembling a fan.
So are all things of beauty (Frances or diminutive) excised from this puritan universe. (sigh)
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

The word as described by BJ above as a diminutive of Frances is obviously in the filter list, initials for football association as not as far as I know. The problem is that one or two users persist in including certain words in the profane or swearing context, despite being asked to stop, and thus certain words remain in the filter list.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

The problem is that the filter does not like the word for something that opens a door, a man who throws a caber, and a small bird that may be blue or coal.

I respect the filter operators for protecting our delicate ears, but even on the channel we're discussing here (ITV) our ears receive a constant stream of proper, albeit mild-ish, swear words up until 9 p.m. and then after 9 pm everyone is free to use words commencing with C, F and W.

Now I don't like these words being used in the wrong context, and I certainly wouldn't want to see them appear here, but every day objects whose words happen to coincide with certain terms of abuse are still part of the OED and our language, even if the "Computer says 'no'".