No matter what else you think of Nigel Owens, you've got to like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXoBNFOxlQM
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Re: This is not Soccer

Post by Kinoulton »

Very good. And succinctly put.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Goes to show he's not all bad!

(Actually, I think he is one of the better referees. Ducks for cover)
Valhalla I am coming!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Recently my opinion of Mr Owens has improved. I take on board that he is perceived to have some Celtic bias, but in my opinion he has moved to avoid these accusations. Not as good as most of the French refs but by no means as bad as some refs we have had recently!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Bravo Nigel. Something refs could well practise on Borthwick, Dickson and one or two others!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

fentiger wrote:Recently my opinion of Mr Owens has improved. I take on board that he is perceived to have some Celtic bias, but in my opinion he has moved to avoid these accusations. Not as good as most of the French refs but by no means as bad as some refs we have had recently!

Most of the French ref are as horrible as English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh refs... We have TWO good ones in the person of Mr Berdos and Mr Poite, who are, like every human being, capable of making mistakes, but not enough mistakes to judge them biased... But the day you'll attend a game refereed by Mr Péchambert (wow I hate him) or Mr Matheu... :smt009
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

excellent! Good bloke, that Nigel Owens
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Should be posted to every ref and club with explicit instructions to tell their players to speak to the ref or TJs when requested by the ref and at no other time.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

agreed - and it should go even further - this is a growing concern for me - I would love to see the appropriate authorities really stamp this out and get back to only the captain / pack leader talking to "sir" during the game. I am really getting annoyed at the constant appealing and yapping - that is not rugby !!!
Less is more....
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

As someone who gives roughly equal thought to both sports, each has its pros and cons.

But a huge HUGE pro-rugby factor is the respectful treatment of the refs and their command over the game.

Also, players who take the refs decisions on the chin, even if they disagree, appear more "manly" than footballers who role around and squeal and wince.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

A couple of seasons ago Wayne Barnes had a similair conversation with Andy Sheridan and Julian White. It was hilarious for those of us in earshot, it went something like this:

"Gentlemen, when I blow my whistle it means stop. We do not behave like certain other sports. It does not mean throw your toys out the pram and carry on thumping each other. This is not a football pitch it is a rugby field. Now shake hands and lets play rugby!"
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I agree with Nigel Owens's sentiments in the clip but that doesn't mean I suddenly change my opinion that he is a totally inadequate referee. In fact I strongly suspect that this was just him playing to the gallery in the Nigel Owens Show, as usual.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Kinoulton wrote:As someone who gives roughly equal thought to both sports, each has its pros and cons.

But a huge HUGE pro-rugby factor is the respectful treatment of the refs and their command over the game.

Also, players who take the refs decisions on the chin, even if they disagree, appear more "manly" than footballers who role around and squeal and wince.
tbf the Football refs have the weapons to stamp that and many other plagues that are currently found in football out, but they don't have the back bone to use them, Rugby ref REFUSE to be intimidated or openly manipulated, their football counter parts are too weak to do so and seem to want to be 1 of the boys a lot of the time, calling certain England regulars by their first name (could you imagine this happening in Rugby?), the Rugby officials also give full detailed explanations of their decisions, meaning even if you don't agree you know why and can accept it easier.

On this instance football's refs AND players could learn a thing or 2
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:tbf the Football refs have the weapons to stamp that and many other plagues that are currently found in football out, but they don't have the back bone to use them,
Very true. The problem is it only takes a couple of adverse comments from Ferguson or Wenger when a referee has the nerve to give a decision against their team. These make the officials and the authorities wet themselves and the next thing you know that referee is looking after Bogworth Rovers v Slaghill City the following week.
Jimmy Skitz wrote:...calling certain England regulars by their first name (could you imagine this happening in Rugby?)...
I'm afraid it already does. I've noticed it a lot in Tri-Nations matches ("Come here please, Richie.") and it's appearing more and more in Premiership matches.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

This has gone hand in hand with numbers disappearing off the back of players (e.g. Hartley in at least three matches this season).
Nothing wrong with 'Captain', 'No7 you did not roll away) and so on.
This is the big upset I have with Lee Dickson - his abuse and 'gamesmanship' is appalling, with obscenities quite audible e.g. ':censored: was that?' shouted at the TJ in the match at home against Stains.
BTW I have shouted at both AT and BY to shut up and get on with the game when they have 'questioned' the TJ.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95