Ben Youngs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ancientmariner

Ben Youngs

Post by ancientmariner »

As we have lost several threads during the IT shenanigans today, can we raise this subject again ? Did anyone see Ben's twitter that he was verbally abused, in front of his family and friends, as he left the field yesterday ? Commenting on a player's form in open forum is one thing, resorting to football-style abuse is something else.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben Youngs

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

I think there is a difference between commenting on form or improvements to perceived weaknesses in a player and verbal or written abuse. The latter should be condemned without reservation and if the perpetrator can be identified they should be banned for life from the ground.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

I think it may have been afterwards, not as he came off the pitch, I think in the bar or something.
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Not often I say this but I'm 100% with Smurphs on this. There is no place for slagging a player off like that. I have said that devoting a thread to having a go at a player isn't on either, but commenting on a players shortcomings has a place (it is a fine line to follow though).

I have no doubt that Ben was doing his best in a dip of form / lack of confidence / injury. It's up to the coaches to help him through this and abusive fans aren't helping. And aren't wanted either - a life ban should be the result.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Broadstaff

Post by Broadstaff »

Absolutely appalling. Alcohol can be responsible for a lot of damage. And it's not as if he is playing very badly - he isn't. The whole frustration with the game plan, and it affects Ben, Billy and all the other backs, is the obsession with pick and drive or forwards in the first receiver position to drive. As someone said on a thread that has been lost the pick and drive, or feed to forwards to drive, happens a few times but always in the certain knowledge that we will either conceed a penalty, be turned over or drop the ball.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Agree with all that has been said, I like other fans can get a bit worked up over a players form. However I would never ever confront a player over it and this so called fans behaviour towards Ben and his family is despicable, it is against all things Tigers stands for and that person should be banned for life. It will send out a very strong signal that abuse ala the roundball from fans is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I also witnessed some foul abuse of TV and I don't think that is excusable either. There are things we say during the course of a game that we may regret or not (e.g. Small you're a useless ref, Ashton you're a jessie) but I hope those giving out this type of abuse are told what others think, qite firmly.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

I agree that whoever overstepped the mark should feel utterly ashamed. Also strikes me as an odd time to level an insult at Ben when it was a piece of YBY magic that set up our second try!

But on his form in general, I agree it's not up to the standard we expect, but I honestly believe he is not playing badly. I think the frustrating part is that he is being inconsistent. You witness moments of brilliance, like for Billy's try, and moments of carelessness (i.e. a couple of his box kicks). Ben has always been a 'flair' player, and his lateral running works wonders when he has runners coming in short, like he does at Tigers most of the time, but it does mean that he occasionally is a tad reckless. To be honest, when he's on his game his the best scrum half in the NH, and I would have him starting any day. Harrison has played well and been solid, but does not pose a threat around the fringes, and is also prone to getting scragged in rucks.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
beech

Post by beech »

At the risk of repeating what has already been said I was disgusted to read about the abuse suffered by Ben after the game. Like others I have been concerned about some aspects of his play recently, in particular some very ordinary box kicking, but to imagine that confronting him in an abusive way will help the situation is mindless. I am sure that Ben is aware of the problems and will do everything he can to put them right. Anyone who heard the incident should report it to the Club so that the offender can be dealt with.
tf22
Sparkie

Post by Sparkie »

Its the same after ever game I can't believe the amount of critisism of any team members. Anyone not seeing the games could be forgiven for thinking that we had lost more than we won.
The older I get the better I use to play.
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

some one clearly suffering from a mix of brass balls (pardon my french) and a complete lack of a brain.

point 1) direct abuse of a player, especially in front of his family and friends, is disgraceful, disrectful and has no place whatsoever in our society.

point 2) direct abuse of a professional rugby player, one can imagine, may be seriously hazardous to your health! (of course I'm not suggesting anyone like Ben would be hot headed enough to react like that but we've all heard stories about our more boystrous squad members, especially when the drink is involved!)

I certainly hope the person involved is caught, reprimanded and given a life ban. if only for his own safety!
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
Zdzislaw

Post by Zdzislaw »

If it happened in a bar, it may well have been in the `1880' corporate bar where players sometimes go post-match, so it should be easy for the club to identify - and hopefully ban - the culprit.
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Not in the spirit of Leicester Tigers I think the expression goes. :smt018
Tigers - true Champions!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

^+1
Valhalla I am coming!
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

^ +2

Disgraceful behaviour and should not be tolerated at Tigers.
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."