New Deals for Alesana and Horacio?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

New Deals for Alesana and Horacio?

Post by bwightman »

The Mercury article posted this morning seems to imply that Miles Benjamin is being brought in as Alex and Agulla are out of contract:
"His likely arrival at Welford Road means he will join Scott Hamilton, captain Geordan Murphy, Mathew Tait, Matt Smith and Niall Morris as nailed-on options in the back three next season.

Two wingers, Samoan Alesana Tuilagi and Argentine Horacio Agulla are, however, out of contract."
Now I'm not adverse to young English talent being brought in to the squad, but losing either Tuilagi or Agulla would be a hammer blow for us and pretty much a complete change in style in the backs.

Alongside Waldrom, Agulla's been our main source of metres gained over the past few games. It'd be a shame to lose him, even though he's likely to be away for four months of next season with Argentina.

Alesana, however, would be a HUGE mistake to let go. He's getting better and better every season and we'd be mad to give him the heave-ho.

Your thoughts?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: New Deals for Alesana and Horacio?

Post by sapajo »

Its the curse or othwerwise of the wage cap, maintaining your best squad of players means taking very tough decisions to maintain the status quo and safeguard the future. I would like Alex and Horacio to stay and hope that we can pull it off their signatures. That said, as always it boils down to money and how much either player wants to stay with Tigers :smt036
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

If Tigers think Benjamin is better than Agulla or Tuilagi then we have a problem me thinks! :smt017
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

The implication that one or other might be let go seems to be based on not only Benjamin coming in, but that all the other back three players mentioned will definitely be around next season. I think any assumption that Hamilton, Tait and maybe even Geordie will be "nailed on options" for selection is deeply flawed.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

WiggoTiger wrote:If Tigers think Benjamin is better than Agulla or Tuilagi then we have a problem me thinks! :smt017
AT's tackling on Sunday was woeful; too old? too slow? or can't be a*sed?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I disregard Hamilton being an option next season, yet with Smith, Morris, Benjamin, Tait, Murphy, Lewington and Forsyth, I think we can cope.

The possiblilty of a Backline of 15. Morris, 14. Tait, 13. Allen, 12. 12trees, 11. Manu, 10. Flood, 9. Youngs really excites me, especially when you then have the youngsters, Benjamin, Lewington and Forsyth, along with experianced players in Murphy and Smith I think we have a good strong, young set of backs. That being said, if that is the case we would need a new Backs Coach, as the constant crash ball would not work.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

AT probably only has one season of top class rugby left, if he chooses to spend it being highly paid in the south of France who could blame him, he has served Tigers well over the years.

Aguilla would be a great loss, he seems to be getting better with every match, he may however want to play in the 4 Nations and feels he needs to play in the SH.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

jgriffin wrote:Murphy is too old, Tait too crook, and you discount one of the best players in the AP - Agulla.
Agulla has impressed me BUT we can't afford to lose someone on his pay grade for 4 months every year...Ayerza we can because we've got good youngsters coming through...

Also, the Tait injury is nothing to do with his shoulder, I still harbor hopes for that guy. He's got the talent if he can stay mended.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

TTRITH wrote:
jgriffin wrote:Murphy is too old, Tait too crook, and you discount one of the best players in the AP - Agulla.
Agulla has impressed me BUT we can't afford to lose someone on his pay grade for 4 months every year..

I would have thought his salary would factor in availabiliy?
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Alex & Horace are rightly our first choice wingers at the moment and I would like them both to stay....

Benjamin will be a good signing & adds competition to the wing slots that Robinson (for example) does not.

Those 'nailed on' players are all predominantly full backs and I would be happy to see Bubbles and Tait leave if it means we keep Alex, Horace, Benjamin, Morris and Smurph at the club.....
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I'd probably have Matt Smith ahead of a number of those mentioned as back-three players.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

bwightman wrote:losing either Tuilagi or Agulla would be a hammer blow for us and pretty much a complete change in style in the backs
I agree, but would this not be exactly what some have been calling for? Change of coaching/tactics = style?
WiggoTiger wrote:If Tigers think Benjamin is better than Agulla or Tuilagi then we have a problem me thinks! :smt017
Maybe Tigers think that in a Leicester set-up, with our players around him Benjamin would be better. Looking at potential rather than current product (in a weak worcester set-up maybe?) Not necessarily comparing against AT or HA but looking at him as offering something different.

Unless Tigers show him the door, or Argentina tried to influence a move away then I strongly believe HA would stay here, he has Marcos Ayerza to use as an example (which also helps negate the Argentina influencing a move argument). If, as others seem to think, AT heads off to France for a final year (or two) at the top in the sun, on rockstar wages, then good luck to him, he's been a good servant to the club.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Benjamin has gas to burn and would be a useful addition. I would be sad to see either Alex or Horacio go but I could understand Alex wanting to top up his pension in France and Tigers deciding that Horacio absence for much of the season would be too much of a factor to ignore. A back line of the following would be very exciting for Tigers. It would have pace, power and youth and could be leathal behind our pack:

9. YBY
10. Floody
11. Benjamin
12. Billy
13. Manu
14. Morris / Smith
15. Tait