Tigers vs Sale Sharks

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mr_Ben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Tigers vs Sale Sharks

Post by Mr_Ben »

Far too much kicking and almost all of it woefully inaccurate at present is giving Sale chance to be in the game

As Will Greenwood has commented there doesn't seem to be much sense of leadership and desire to win by anyone in a Tigers shirt today
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

There is a desire to win just seem short of ideas at times,especially when we are attacking in Sale 22.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

A good win, against a good side, I would be suprised if they are not in the top 6. Disappointed with Small he seemed to lack control over the breakdown and gave players too much lee-way, ashame about the injury to Castro and Youngs looked to be carrying a niggle. On a positive note Slater was superb and Waldrom, Kitchener, Hawkins, Flood and Twelvetrees (nice hands and he made significant yards) impressed. Slightly disappointed not to get the TBP but I was hoping for 14 from this 3 game spell so a BP next weekend is a must really against a Wasps side nilled by Worcester (at home).

Credit to whoever (O'Connor presumably) worked out our attacking plan of letting Sale come up for the big hit and then putting in short passes, it worked well and not just for the tries. But we do run out of ideas after 4 or 5 phases, in the 22 especially. Overall it was a good way to start the year, we are in the top 4 and we must try and stay there now.
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

To all the those that poo poo-ed the backs for the last two months and wanted Cocker's out, I'd like to quote Mr Jon Bon Jovi:

Keep The Faith.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Its a win but after the great start we really should have put the game away. Good to see Slater have a good game and Flood had another good game as did 12trees. The kick chase seems much improved as well.

See Sarries only managed a draw at home today which takes us to within 8 points of second place, a strong second half to the year could see us sneak a home semi.

Has anybody heard anything about the Sale number 7 who went off early on? Looked pretty bad.
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

drc_007 wrote:Tigers work rate seems to have dropped.
...possibly to do with the fact that Ben Youngs seems to have entered some sort of competition to be the slowest scrum half in England. Why run when you can walk ? Much better to wait with the ball at your feet and allow the opposition to get into position.
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

I think that the difference between the match today and the one against Worcester was the referee.

Against Worcester the ref penalised any attempts to kill the ball in the rucks. Today the referee did very little with this and only penalised randomly.

I think a bonus point was achievable today but when you get a ref like that then it is very difficult to play especially in adverse weather conditions.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

Anyway a bonus point win against Wasps should put us in a good position.
Last edited by yellow_balaclava_hunter on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

ancientmariner wrote:
drc_007 wrote:Tigers work rate seems to have dropped.
...possibly to do with the fact that Ben Youngs seems to have entered some sort of competition to be the slowest scrum half in England. Why run when you can walk ? Much better to wait with the ball at your feet and allow the opposition to get into position.
He was slow but perhaps this was related to the injury he appeared to be carrying.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

Slater ws excellent today and against Worcester. Cleary wants a regular berth and with Deacon probably out for a long time he wants to be first choice next to a fit Parling.

Very hard game....Sale worked very hard and deserved their point.
12Ts looked good, he gives you options, but AA controls the line so how do you play it?

As for the Referee, I am sorry he was shocking....offside was clearly a word that has been outlawed in his dictionary and he needs to ref it much better.

A win is a win as they say. I expect as fuller strength side as pssible against Wasps. So:-

15. Murphy
14. Agulla
13. 12Ts
12. AA
11. AT
10. Flood
9. Young (Youngs needs a rest)
8. Waldrom
7. Salvi
6. Croft
5. Skivington
4. Slater
3. Cole
2. Chuter
1. Ayrzea

Parling among subs
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

I find most of you Tigers supporters a bit harsh with your own team : you were 11th of the table not that far ago now you are 4th of the table. Today was a hard fought win against a valiant team, if it was my poor Stade Français, I'd take it as a good win. What. :smt026
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

If the idea is to build the best team in Europe then Tigers are as far away from that as at any point in the last few years. Fortunately they won (just) on the scoreboard, but imo came second in terms of passion, skill, commitment, positivity, enthusiasm/motivation etc and it wont be long till Sharks overtake Tigers asa team. A painful hometruth.

I just dont think Tigers are progressing their game or as a team. Sorry.

Although Geordie did ok today he is no longer above average in the Prem. One of my all time favourites but Tigers need to move on.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Andy W wrote:If the idea is to build the best team in Europe then Tigers are as far away from that as at any point in the last few years. Fortunately they won (just) on the scoreboard, but imo came second in terms of passion, skill, commitment, positivity, enthusiasm/motivation etc and it wont be long till Sharks overtake Tigers asa team. A painful hometruth.

I just dont think Tigers are progressing their game or as a team. Sorry.

Although Geordie did ok today he is no longer above average in the Prem. One of my all time favourites but Tigers need to move on.
You were obviously watching a different Geordan Murphy to me: I, and the others round me in the crowd, thought he had a tremendous game and was superb with the high balls in crowds.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

[quote="PM76]
...possibly to do with the fact that Ben Youngs seems to have entered some sort of competition to be the slowest scrum half in England. Why run when you can walk ? Much better to wait with the ball at your feet and allow the opposition to get into position.[/quote]

He was slow but perhaps this was related to the injury he appeared to be carrying.[/quote]

Then why wait until the 76th minute to sub him off - we were calling for Young to be introduced from half time ....

... its the usual poor use of the bench from Cockers, again :smt009

Croft & Chuter did not add anything to the game when they came on - and if you want players to have an impact from the bench, then give them at least 20 minutes, not 5 like Young & Bubbles .....

On the plus side - Slater, Mafi and 12trees continue to impress :smt023 , the back 3 had a good game & took their tries well and Kitch had the solid game that was needed from him. TTTE continues to be a stand out player - if only Crane was also available as an impact from the bench !

I also thought everybody's new darling (Smith) was anonymous today .... hope Manu is back soon :smt023
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Kitchener was a potent force too - at least in the 1st half.

A good win against a side that id not want to lie down.

4th in the Premiership after Christmas. I would have taken that 6 weeks ago.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.