Tigers vs Sale Sharks

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tigers vs Sale Sharks

Post by PM76 »

Sale are next up on Sunday, Cockers and co. will be aiming for 5 points. A win would take Tigers above fourth place Sale and would see Tigers into the play-off places.

My side (assuming Deacs and Manu are out and Parling is back)

1. Stanko
2. Hawkins
3. Castro
4. Slater
5. Skivington
6. Croft
7. Salvi
8. Mafi
9. Young
10. Flood
11. Tuilagi
12. Twelvetrees
13. Smith
14. Morris/ Hamilton
15. Murphy/ Morris

16. Chuter
17. Cole
18. White
19. Parling
20. Waldrom
21. Youngs
22. Staunton
23. Agulla/ Hamilton

A strong side but giving a few players a rest before Ulster (who put out their academy side vs Leinster, resting their entire 15 for the Heiny!!)

Thoughts??
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Sharks

Post by Darc Tiger »

Harsh on Ringo, who I thought was great today, not just for his final try. He is really pushing Hipkiss for the title of 'Man of Rubber'. I'd stick with Waldrom too. Not that I wouldn't like to see Mafi get more game time.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Darc Tiger wrote:Harsh on Ringo, who I thought was great today, not just for his final try. He is really pushing Hipkiss for the title of 'Man of Rubber'. I'd stick with Waldrom too. Not that I wouldn't like to see Mafi get more game time.
I think he and a few others could do with a rest, he certainly wasn't being "dropped", he has been superb, he has scored our two best tries all season and has put in a run of great performances.
ABC Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ABC Tiger »

Sale are next up on Sunday, Cockers and co. will be aiming for 5 points. A win would take Tigers above fourth place Sale and would see Tigers into the play-off places.

My side (assuming Deacs and Manu are out and Parling is back)

1. Stanko
2. Hawkins
3. Castro
4. Slater
5. Skivington
6. Croft
7. Salvi
8. Mafi
9. Young
10. Flood
11. Tuilagi
12. Twelvetrees
13. Smith
14. Morris/ Hamilton
15. Murphy/ Morris

16. Chuter
17. Cole
18. White
19. Parling
20. Waldrom
21. Youngs
22. Staunton
23. Agulla/ Hamilton

A strong side but giving a few players a rest before Ulster (who put out their academy side vs Leinster, resting their entire 15 for the Heiny!!)

Thoughts??
I thought both Parling and Allen were out untill the Wasps game and if we are going to rest players I'd much rather it be against Wasps than Sale, I'd go for:
15.Murphy
14.Agulla
13.Smith
12.Twelvetrees
11.A.Tuilagi
10.Flood
9.Youngs
1.Castro
2.Chuter
3.Cole
4.Skivington
5.Mafi
6.Croft
7.Salvi
8.Waldrom

16.Hawkins
17.Stanko
18.White
19.Slater
20.Woods
21.Young
22.Staunton
23.Morris

Also like to say thought the front rows ball carrying was outstanding today and Smith and Agulla also played very well indeed.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

ABC Tiger wrote:
I thought both Parling and Allen were out untill the Wasps game

Also like to say thought the front rows ball carrying was outstanding today and Smith and Agulla also played very well indeed.

"Director of rugby Richard Cockerill said they would be welcome additions to a squad that faces three games in just 12 days over Christmas and the New Year.

He said: "Anthony should be fit for the Wasps game. And there is even a chance that Geoff may well be fit for when Sale arrive a week before."

From the merc. I agree it was nice to see Chuter and Cole making some hard yards alongside Castro, another great performance from Boris too.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Darc Tiger wrote:Harsh on Ringo, who I thought was great today, not just for his final try. He is really pushing Hipkiss for the title of 'Man of Rubber'. I'd stick with Waldrom too. Not that I wouldn't like to see Mafi get more game time.
Why 'Ringo'? Is it because of his Beatle mop haircut? I was going to ask if it was because he has narrated Thomas the Tank Engine - but that would open a whole can of worms...... :smt003

Agreed about his similarity with Hipkiss and his power and ability to stay on his feet. The bonus is that Aguila faster and has a great kick and catch, today was superb.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

I am a bit upset with this thread! I think this is the second game running where the thread has not been started by Tigermad. What is the world coming to? We are all doomed I tell ya, doomed! :smt001
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

GS wrote:
Why 'Ringo'? Is it because of his Beatle mop haircut? I was going to ask if it was because he has narrated Thomas the Tank Engine - but that would open a whole can of worms...... :smt003
That's what the players call him. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I recall it being said that ringo means limp (or something) in Spanish, and that Horace has 1 leg shorter than the other. Or I may have made that up. :smt005 Anyone help?
ABC Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ABC Tiger »

GS wrote:
Darc Tiger wrote:
Harsh on Ringo, who I thought was great today, not just for his final try. He is really pushing Hipkiss for the title of 'Man of Rubber'. I'd stick with Waldrom too. Not that I wouldn't like to see Mafi get more game time.

Why 'Ringo'? Is it because of his Beatle mop haircut? I was going to ask if it was because he has narrated Thomas the Tank Engine - but that would open a whole can of worms......

That's what the players call him. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I recall it being said that ringo means limp (or something) in Spanish, and that Horace has 1 leg shorter than the other. Or I may have made that up. Anyone help?
I think I remember it from an interview with him on LTTV a while ago
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Result against Sale

Post by WiggoTiger »

I am hoping for another TBP win against Sale, the game they played against the Falcons Sale looked poor and easily beatable. They were pedestrian and only scored on poor tackling and bad defending.
I can see us smashing them up front and be in control for most of the game.
Wiggo is becoming far too optimistic! :smt017 :smt018
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Result against Sale

Post by sapajo »

I can see us smashing them up front and be in control for most of the game.

Its the "most of the game" bit that worries me. On more than one occasion this season we have pulled out a sizeable lead early on only to fall asleep and let the opposition come back at us after all the hard work has been done.

We badly need to put a true 80 min performance something which we always took pride in and indeed regularly delivered. If we can do this, I remain optomistic for the 5 point full monty :smt016 :smt036 :smt037 :smt045
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
neilf
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by neilf »

ABC Tiger wrote:

I think I remember it from an interview with him on LTTV a while ago

I think I heard this on LTTV but sure it was Gringo due to his South American Heritage.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Sale Sharks

Post by PM76 »

Teams Up:

15 Geordan Murphy (c)
14 Horacio Agulla
13 Matt Smith
12 Billy Twelvetrees
11 Alesana Tuilagi
10 Toby Flood
9 Ben Youngs
1 Martin Castrogiovanni
2 Rob Hawkins
3 Dan Cole
4 Ed Slater
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Steve Mafi
7 Julian Salvi
8 Thomas Waldrom

Replacements
16 George Chuter
17 Boris Stankovich
18 Logoviii Mulipola
19 Ben Woods
20 Tom Croft
21 Micky Young
22 Jeremy Staunton
23 Scott Hamilton

Nice to see Hawkins and Kitchener getting starts and it will be interesting to see how Castro gets on at LH. Hopefully Mulipola will get a chance off the bench as he has been getting rave reviews from posters who have seen him. That side should be good enough to win but the BP will take a good performance.

Sale Sharks: 15 Rob Miller, 14 Tom Brady, 13 Johnny Leota, 12 Sam Tuitupou (c), 11 Joaquin Tuculet, 10 Nick Macleod, 9 Dwayne Peel; 1 Alasdair Dickinson, 2 Marc Jones, 3 Tony Buckley, 4 Fraser McKenzie, 5 Andrei Ostrikov, 6 James Gaskell, 7 David Seymour, 8 Andy Powell. Replacements: 16 Andy Titterrell, 17 Vadim Cobilas, 18 Henry Thomas, 19 Kearnan Myall, 20 Mark Easter, 21 Cillian Willis, 22 Andrew Higgins, 23 Will Addison
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

PM76 wrote:Hopefully Mulipola will get a chance off the bench as he has been getting rave reviews from posters who have seen him.
Agreed, I haven't seen anything of him but have heard lots of good things although I have a sneaky feeling that if things are tight we'll be seeing Castro or Dan Cole putting in a full 80 minute shift, probably Castro moving from LH to TH. Nice to see Hawkins getting a start and Kitchener now has the chance to impress but I think Slater will have to be the 'steady rock' in the engine room for this one.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I'm a little bemused by the loose head decision,is Boris carrying a knock?,or is this a look at a long term starting lineup?
The injuries mean the backs pretty much pick themselves,don't see much to worry about our ability to win plenty of ball up front,so a victory should be fairly straight forward.A bonus point is perhaps a tight call.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRRRrrrrsssssssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.