Mat Tait

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Mat Tait

Post by Crumblies »

I too think he was brought in principaly as a back three player, possibly to succeed Murphy, but who could also cover OC.
We're not running a Make a Wish charity giving contracts to players who have been unlucky.
Really? Grindal, Staunton, Robinson, etc what do you mean they haven't been unlucky? Unlucky for them and consequently us they haven't got the necessary talent, unlike Tait.

I also have it on good authority the contract given to Tait is no where near his value if he had not had his series of injuries.

Right now the guy needs all the support we can give him, as we have to others!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

He was signed to give us another option at centre.
I think he was actually signed as a utility back. To initially come in on the wing and then as the long term answer to Geordan.

His injuries are taking time to mend but from his brief appearences so far he has shown a step and acceleration that is sadly missing in our back three. Risk? Well worth it. He's not even had a full season with us and no doubt signed on a small contract which was heavilly geared towards rewards for games played. I doubt he's costing us much in salary (though maybe in medical costs). If he comes back for the end of the season when the grounds are firming up his speed and step could be the difference between us finishing with or without silverware.
Mo Leicester

Post by Mo Leicester »

When posting on here I think is is worth remembering that it is a public forum.

I'm sure most players have a look to see what is being said. Personally, I try not to make comments about players that I would not be comfortable saying to there faces.

We all know that Mat has been very unlucky with injuries. Signing him was a calculated gamble. When it pays off, nobody will be happier than Mat himself.

Good luck mate, you still many great years ahead of you in a Tigers shirt.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I have high hopes for Tait. I would be concerned if the injury keeping him out at present was to do with his shoulder but this is not the case. It is a new injury that will be resolved (it may have actually given his shoulder a bit extra rest that will help his career in the long term).

Tait is, IMO, the long term replacement for GM. GM is still a great player but his speed is starting to go. Hopefully the time GM and Tait have together at the club GM can help pass on some of his knowledge. The great thing about Tait is that his attributes are ones that we are sorely lacking in the team at present - blistering pace and a great step. Matt playing off Youngs, Flood and Manu will be very dangerous.

I always thought this would be a longer term investment for us so not too concerened about this short term injury.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Matt is a very good player and still has a long career ahead of him. As far as I understand he spent most of last year with Tigers and he has no recurring injuries, this groin injury is unrelated to his previous problems. He has shown brief glimpses of his quality and I think he will be a quality Tiger for years to come. Take Deacon as an example, he had horrific injuries but has overcome them and is in superb form, Tigers have very good medics etc. and I think Tait will become a key player for us once he has a run of games in the side. It was a gamble but if it pays off he has the potential to change games single-handed.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

PM76 wrote:Matt is a very good player and still has a long career ahead of him. As far as I understand he spent most of last year with Tigers and he has no recurring injuries, this groin injury is unrelated to his previous problems. He has shown brief glimpses of his quality and I think he will be a quality Tiger for years to come. Take Deacon as an example, he had horrific injuries but has overcome them and is in superb form, Tigers have very good medics etc. and I think Tait will become a key player for us once he has a run of games in the side. It was a gamble but if it pays off he has the potential to change games single-handed.
+ 1
cheers
Rich
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

In addition to the pace and sidestep, the other attribute I saw in his brief appearances so far for us, was his handling skills, including the ability to receive and make a pass almost in one movement. Reminicsent of Geordan in his prime and so sadly lacking in most of our other players.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Mat will come good for us.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I am very excited about the prospect of seeing Mat back fully fit in the mix playing for Tigers. From what I have seen his pace and seering acceleration is something that we have not had post the departure of Lotti T. So my best wishes to him and I sincerely hope he can recover his fitness and show us fans what a truly talented player he is and that his game, fortune and prospects are engendered for a long time with Tigers. :smt007 :smt007
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Maximus66

Post by Maximus66 »

Quote: "Spoke to Mat yesterday. He gave the impression that his recovery was not progressing as quickly as he would have liked and was a tad frustrated to say the least. Gave no time frame for his return.

A really nice, humble guy who seemed pretty fed up and all I could do was to wish him well, hoped he'd have a Happy Christmas and said that we looked forward to seeing him back soon.

It's good to be reminded that the players are susceptible to the same ups and downs in life as the rest of us. Geoff Parling gave us the biggest insight of these frustrations when he told the story of the moron who thought it would be funny to leave a zimmer frame on his doorstep after his knee injury last season.
Utterly crass."

This is a copy of the post I made on the 'Ollie Phillips to Tigers' thread on Wednesday.
Having read some of these subsequent posts it seems to me there can be a lot of, to quote a seasonal phrase; 'Bah Humbug', on this forum sometimes. :smt012

A Happy Christmas to one & all however you spend it. :smt001
brooksey101

Post by brooksey101 »

Matt Tait is a class signing for us someone that has the individual brilliance to change a game in a second. Score a try out of nothing. He will be on a cheap wage with us as he has being heavily injured in recent years and isn't an england regular like he used to be. I'm sure the tigers wouldn't of penned him down to a long contract maybe only a year with an option for a second or just a 2 year one.

Everyone should give the guy a break do you think he enjoys being injured? Lets get behind him and show him some support.

I for one can not wait to see him in a tigers shirt settled in one position and going on the outside of the opposition!
:D TiGeRs RuLe!!!!:D
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Can't understand the simplistic branding of a player as 'injury prone'. It is the job of the back room boys to ensure that all players are as well toned physically as is possible and beyond that the picking up of injuries is a lottery of risk taking in play and luck. Clearly severe injuries often lead to 'weak spots' and recurrent injuries with particular players but this is one of the risks in life you take.

MT is without any doubt a great talent and I believe a good signing. Time alone will tell whether current or past injuries prove to be a recurrent problem but this is no more likely in MT's case than any other player. Let's wish him the best for the future :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Concur with the majority of the (positive) posts on this thread - Matt Tait is a fantastic player at his best and I sincerely hope to see him playing his best in a Tigers shirt.

Wishing him a speedy recovery for Christmas and looking forward to seeing him play in the New Year!
suttyprop
Tiger Cub

Post by suttyprop »

I forgot about mat what a gem to be able to produce towards the end of the season when things may well be tight in the prem I would like to wish him a speedy recovery
5m pushover against the head!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Crumblies wrote:I too think he was brought in principaly as a back three player, possibly to succeed Murphy, but who could also cover OC.
We're not running a Make a Wish charity giving contracts to players who have been unlucky.
Really? Grindal, Staunton, Robinson, etc what do you mean they haven't been unlucky? Unlucky for them and consequently us they haven't got the necessary talent, unlike Tait.

I also have it on good authority the contract given to Tait is no where near his value if he had not had his series of injuries.

Right now the guy needs all the support we can give him, as we have to others!
So if anyone has any spare crutches then can they please arrange delivery.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.