Transfer Rumours

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Transfer Rumours

Post by kornboy130 »

I won't go in to too much depth as I've not got too much on these - but sniffing around the place are the rumours we're looking at Miles Benjamin and Matt Mullan and more recently there has been a rumour we're sniffing quite hard around Daniel Bowden. None of these are 1st hand just from other boards so you can question the reliability - but the Mullan rumour and even more so the Benjamin rumour has been doing the rounds for a good while now.

you also have to wonder who would be leaving if these three did come in... in an ideal world it would be Robinson, Bucknall and, though I think he doesn't deserve anything like the stick he gets on here, Staunton - but the if we need 10-12-13 cover we have Twelvetrees who looks like re-signing....oh the possibilities!

Thoughts?
ABC Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by ABC Tiger »

To be honest i don't quite see why we are trying to sign Mat Mullan as at loosehead we already have Ayerza, Stanko and Brookes so why add Mullan who in my opinion will not get that much game time. We've seen it with Kitchener, Brookes and Micky Young this season, all in the Saxons playing very well and barely appear for us.

As for Benjamin, if we were to sign him I would perhaps think about letting Hamilton go as well as he isnt starting at the moment any way and Idont really see him as an impact sub either.

If we was to sign Bowden I'd of thought as a second choice 10 which would be good signing in my opinion if he wants to play second fiddle to Floody.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I think at the end of the season we will be losing:

Pete Bucknell
Boris Stankovich - Heard nothing on contract talks and swear he's outta contract.
Julian White - retirement
Louis Deacon - retirement, had a lot of injuries and with people like Slater and Kitchener on the books, can't see him risking his back much longer.
Craig Newby/Ben Woods - again with youngsters coming through, one or both could be gone.
James Grindal
Jeremy Staunton
Lee Robinson
Scott Hamilton
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Pete Bucknell
Boris Stankovich - Heard nothing on contract talks and swear he's outta contract.
Louis Deacon - retirement, had a lot of injuries and with people like Slater and Kitchener on the books, can't see him risking his back much longer.
Craig Newby/Ben Woods - again with youngsters coming through, one or both could be gone.
James Grindal
Jeremy Staunton
Lee Robinson
Scott Hamilton
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

It's certainly not the first time we've been linked with Mullan IIRC, and as ABC Tiger said, we have plenty of LHs and Castro who can switch over if required.

If we were to sign Bowden then would that mean with a view to him backing up Flood and taking the 10 shirt during AIs and 6Ns meaning George Ford et al taking a back seat for longer? Not ideal IMO and maybe disheartening for academy players to see others drafted in. I'm also thinking that Bowden has played a fair bit at FB, maybe more as cover rather than out and out FB, so we may be hedging our bets regarding Tait and bringing in extra cover for Geordie?

If we are in the mix for him I'd rather it be for the latter reasons. But do we want a utility player?

From what I've seen Benjamin would bring the pace we seem to be lacking, and that many yearn for, but would a speedster really benefit from our current (perceived lack of) style of play? Possibly Bubbles heading off back to NZ at the end of his contract?

Then again it could all be agents doing the normal of adding Tigers' name to the mix to bolster contract negotiations and bump up salaries.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

ABC Tiger wrote:To be honest i don't quite see why we are trying to sign Mat Mullan as at loosehead we already have Ayerza, Stanko and Brookes so why add Mullan who in my opinion will not get that much game time. We've seen it with Kitchener, Brookes and Micky Young this season, all in the Saxons playing very well and barely appear for us.

As for Benjamin, if we were to sign him I would perhaps think about letting Hamilton go as well as he isnt starting at the moment any way and Idont really see him as an impact sub either.

If we was to sign Bowden I'd of thought as a second choice 10 which would be good signing in my opinion if he wants to play second fiddle to Floody.
Ayerza will miss the first 2 months of next season due to the tri-nations and autumn internationals so Mullan would be a good signing and has a lot of potential. Kitchener, Young and Brookes have all had injuries when they looked like breaking into the side and I am sure they will all make their mark during the 6 nations.

As I posted on the contract thread I feel Benjamin would be a good replacement for Scott. Bowden would be a good signing but I'd question the need for him unless Allen, Twelvetrees or Staunton leave, which doesn't appear likely (according to the bbc) and I think Staunton signed a 2 or 3 year deal last season.
TTRITH wrote:I think at the end of the season we will be losing:

Pete Bucknell
James Grindal
Jeremy Staunton
Lee Robinson
Scott Hamilton
Boris and Newby signed new deals last year but I don't know for how long, but with Salvi signing for 2 years I think one of Woods and Newby will go.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

PM76 wrote: with Salvi signing for 2 years I think one of Woods and Newby will go.
You may be right, but isn't Newby strictly a 6 or 8 who was covering 7 as a last(ish) resort? Maybe there's scope for both to remain with Salvi too.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
PM76 wrote: with Salvi signing for 2 years I think one of Woods and Newby will go.
You may be right, but isn't Newby strictly a 6 or 8 who was covering 7 as a last(ish) resort? Maybe there's scope for both to remain with Salvi too.
I suppose he is but he played so well at 7 last year that I was thinking of him as a 7, they could definately both stay.
ABC Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ABC Tiger »

Ayerza will miss the first 2 months of next season due to the tri-nations and autumn internationals so Mullan would be a good signing and has a lot of potential.
Ah, forgot about this this we would also lose Agulla so the signings of Benjamin and Mullan seem to make more sense.

Pete Bucknell
James Grindal
Jeremy Staunton
Lee Robinson
Scott Hamilton
I would be suprised if Deacon retired, i could see him however taking a step back and Skivington and Parling becoming first choice second row.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

ABC Tiger wrote:I would be suprised if Deacon retired, i could see him however taking a step back and Skivington and Parling becoming first choice second row.
Don't think Deacs is ready to throw the towel in just yet - he signed a THREE year deal with the club at the start of the season as I recall.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Jay C wrote:
ABC Tiger wrote:I would be suprised if Deacon retired, i could see him however taking a step back and Skivington and Parling becoming first choice second row.
Don't think Deacs is ready to throw the towel in just yet - he signed a THREE year deal with the club at the start of the season as I recall.
He was in the Rugby Paper a couple of weeks ago saying that he wanted to play on till he was as old a Chutes (i think it was Chutes). So i don't think he is planning to retire yet.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

On Worcesters Unoffy site they seem to think that if Benjamin goes anywhere it will be to Saints as they are sniffing around, especially if Ashton goes to Sarries.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Deacon was in the Mercury before the RWC quashing the rumours about his retirement. He seems to think the injuries have given the rest of his body more time to repair and so he can carry on for longer. Which is great news as Deacs and Parling are a league above the rest of our locks.

Can't see us signing Bowden unless one of Twelvetrees or Allen leave. It doesn't look like either will and Staunton has another year on his contract. With Ford stepping up after that.

I'd expect Grindall, Bucknall, Hamilton and Robinson to be definitley out of the door at the end of the season. There's been no definite answer on whether Big Julian White is retiring or not.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

g wrote:On Worcesters Unoffy site they seem to think that if Benjamin goes anywhere it will be to Saints as they are sniffing around, especially if Ashton goes to Sarries.
Have also heard a swap in clubs between Strettle and Ashton.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Welcome back Kornboy. Long time no hear.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.