Transfer Rumours

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by Crumblies »

Neilf wrote ...A good club player with 20+ England caps. How many England caps have you ?
I wasn't aware that England caps were a pre-requisite to making a considered contribution to this forum. Being classed as a Leicester Tigers legend on the other hand ...?

Oh for what its worth I have two England caps one I wear when going to watch England play Rugby the other when going to watch England play Cricket.

We've won today so none taken in case you were wondering.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

bluntiger wrote:Ideally, for a team like England you would want world-class players in every position but sometimes you simply don't have the talent.

For example, right now there is not a world-class No. 8 in English colours because there isn't one out there so we have to select a good club player eg Nick Easter and in truth we don't have a world-class fly-half either. Hence George Chuter has 24 England caps and Toby Flood has 46.
So George was capped at fly half :smt017
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

After yesterday's game at Warriors I would be pleased to see us sign Benjamin - he impressed me with what he did with the few opportunities he got to attack and he is certainly quick. Not so sure about Mullins though it it is hard to tell when his pack where going backwards for a lot of the game.
Hehehehehehehehe
legs11
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by legs11 »

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 929,00.htm

It says here that we have or are getting mako vunipola the England u20 loose head who really stood out during the junior world cup, it was news to me, is this true or have they made a mistake?
same old leicester..... always winning!!!!!!!!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

legs11 wrote:http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 929,00.htm

It says here that we have or are getting mako vunipola the England u20 loose head who really stood out during the junior world cup, it was news to me, is this true or have they made a mistake?
That would be a good signing!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

G.K wrote:So George was capped at fly half :smt017
Everyone loves a smartar*e. I was just pointing out that sometime a good club player gets capped when there isn't a world-class player in the national colours. And I was pointing out that England do not currently have a world-class FH or No.8 right now so good club players will fill those slots and earn caps.
Always a Tiger
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

legs11, that link doesn't work for me.

Also I think we may just be waiting to see how the young Samoan giant currently with the A side turns out (sorry I can't remember his name!).
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

fentiger wrote:legs11, that link doesn't work for me.

Also I think we may just be waiting to see how the young Samoan giant currently with the A side turns out (sorry I can't remember his name!).
Try

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 29,00.html
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

The story has now been modified

"Mako Vunipola was good for England during the IRB Junior World Championship and will learn a lot from Rhys Gill at Saracens."
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

tigerburnie wrote:
chappie wrote:I still think that we should have not let TV leave!
Yes his tackling was a bit so so, but he was in the team to attack and score trys which he did . He or another speedster gives you different options in attack which we really have been missing of late. :smt023
Tom Varndell is on the bench for the insects,so what makes you think he would be a "go to player" for us?

Tom had his day and has moved on,so should you,now his replacement Wade,is a different matter.
After starting 13 games this season (only missing the LV Cup and the romp against Rovigo when he was being rested) he gets injured and when he returns to action it is via the bench. And that ONE bench appearance whilst coming back from an injury is enough for you to be dismissive about him? The 63 starts in 67 games (with 36 tries scored) over the last two and a half seasons can be safely ignored, because he was on the bench for a game as he returned from an injury.

And Wade isn't his replacement. The first choice Wasps back three is:
11. Wade
14. Varndell
15. Southwell
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

I agree 4071, TV still has potential and at only 26 he cannot be written off. The one downside is that the once England winger with 4 caps in 2008 is now nowhere near the England reckoning. He has fallen so far down the standings that he is now not even on the radar.

Of all the discussions regarding the England EPS going on right now many names are being put forward (Ashton, Wade, Sharples, Strettle, Cueto etc.)but I have not once heard Tom Varndell mentioned, not even in passing.
Always a Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

bluntiger wrote:I agree 4071, TV still has potential and at only 26 he cannot be written off. The one downside is that the once England winger with 4 caps in 2008 is now nowhere near the England reckoning. He has fallen so far down the standings that he is now not even on the radar.

Of all the discussions regarding the England EPS going on right now many names are being put forward (Ashton, Wade, Sharples, Strettle, Cueto etc.)but I have not once heard Tom Varndell mentioned, not even in passing.
He's not new and young any more, and England fans are neophiles.
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

4071 wrote:
bluntiger wrote:I agree 4071, TV still has potential and at only 26 he cannot be written off. The one downside is that the once England winger with 4 caps in 2008 is now nowhere near the England reckoning. He has fallen so far down the standings that he is now not even on the radar.

Strettle is being massively hyped up in the media, but he is hardly new. He's been around the England team for years, having not been able to make much of an impression (due to injury). As for young, he's 28, two years older than 'old' Varndell and has been capped 7 times. You can't simply dismiss Varndell's low ranking as a case of 'neophiles'.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

TigerAlex wrote:
4071 wrote:

Strettle is being massively hyped up in the media, but he is hardly new. He's been around the England team for years, having not been able to make much of an impression (due to injury). As for young, he's 28, two years older than 'old' Varndell and has been capped 7 times. You can't simply dismiss Varndell's low ranking as a case of 'neophiles'.
Is Strettle really being hyped up?

He had barely been mentioned until Tuesday, when he put in his only genuinely good 50-minute shift of the season before getting injured.

Still, as everyone knows, you're only as good as your last televised game...
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

TV is out of favour, and was dropped by Tigers because rugby requires players to go into contact. This was something TV continues to avoid - even after the close attention of Shedwards!. He tries to chip past defenders instead of being tackled and recycling the ball, or in trying to beat them he predictably always goes to their outside. He does not tackle properly, rather pushing players towards touch or just flapping an arm. He does not ruck, but will act as a guard, waving his arms at others as if to direct them instead. :smt013

Unlike every centre and back we have. :smt023

I still remember Paul Burke calling after him as he went on as a sub in his last season at Tigers, " Go on, and don't forget, TACKLE Tom, TACKLE"!!"

He scores tries, but at what cost? His defensive lapses cost tries at worst, and puts pressure on his team mates at best. In closely fought games he can be a liability, and there are few matches now that are not closely fought.

Please, no more about TV for Tigers or England. :smt018
Valhalla I am coming!