Allen and Twelvetrees close to re-signing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Allen and Twelvetrees close to re-signing

Post by Bud »

The Boy Dave wrote:Jim Hamilton has done very well since moving on from Tigers. I wish we had him now as he has developed into a quite brilliant lock. A position that Tigers are currently lacking IMO.
Wait, what?

Deacon, Slater, Parling, Skivington, Kitchener, Green. That's not counting Mafi and Croft who can also play there. I'd consider it one of our strongest positions!
Ed
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Twelvetrees the best player ever??!!

http://www.606v2.com/t21463-twelvetrees ... layer-ever
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

kpbates wrote:Twelvetrees the best player ever??!!

http://www.606v2.com/t21463-twelvetrees ... layer-ever
Bit bizarre apparently he has won all the accolades that professional rugby can offer :smt017
Is this the same Twelvetrees?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Posted while on the sauce?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Wait, what?

Deacon, Slater, Parling, Skivington, Kitchener, Green. That's not counting Mafi and Croft who can also play there. I'd consider it one of our strongest positions!
I think that you are wrong!
Tigers have regular internationals across the side and apart from Deacon at lock there is alot of uncertainty in this position. This points to being one of the weakest areas of the squad IMO. It's not a cap issue but more a genuine lack of power in a position that is crucial to the go forward ability of the pack be it either set piece or more importantly for Tigers recently, in the loose. As I have stated before if you had read it properly the players all mentioned are fine players. They would have to be so to play Premiership rugby but IMHO Tigers lack real impact at lock to challenge the top sides in Europe. I am used to seeing scary guys in this position. Ones that put doubt into you when they come anywhere near you and the players you refer to are too nice. All the players above have backrow attributes which I am told locks need these days but the balance is tipped too far IMO. A lock needs to be the genuine article, it is not a makeweight position and square pegs don't fit into round holes!
Cheery chappy
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

i definately agree with the boy dave. there is a clear difference when deacon is in the pack - and we have no one to replace him when hes injured or retires. the younger players mentioned may well improve but there is no like for like replacement to the same standard. i think skivington was meant to be but i dont think he is quite in the same class as deacon.
Antony D

Post by Antony D »

I am putting a very strong case for Ed Slater - I would of started him for the WAPS game - reallty mobile - Power - yes I know he his young - but boy his work rate is high - looking forward to see him with Geoff
Antony

I cook with Wine, sometimes I even put it in the food!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

If we were in the transfer market in the summer, James Hudson would be a good shout although he is the wrong side of 30 now but he has real leadership.
Always a Tiger
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I agree with both points. Tigers certainly are a better and more powerful pack in the tight when Deacon is playing. He adds some good old fashioned second row go forward to scrums, mauls and rucks. He's more than a tad handy at the lineout as well. Certainly last season we looked in serious trouble when he was injured.

Having said that Ed Slater has clearly learned a lot from last season and has developed a good deal whilst working with the likes of Parling and Deacon in training. He's really kicked on this season and improved his physicality and his discipline. He's not Deacon standard but he adds some serious bulk and has great hands and carrying ability which Deacon doesn't. If he can continue to develop through this season we may well not be so relient on Deacon in future years. I hope Ed starts against Ulster we'll need his power in Belfast.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Provided the club are signing Allen as 12T's cover & not the other way round I'll be happy enough.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Provided the club are signing Allen as 12T's cover & not the other way round I'll be happy enough
I'd rather they were signed in order to provide competition for the 12 shirt. Whoever is playing best should be in posession. Though Billy's ability to play 10 would maybe see us jetison Staunton and move Ford closer to the first team which would be a good thing in my eyes.
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

A report in the Rugby Paper today that 12trs has spoken to Gloucester because of the lack of game time.

Also in the same paper but different column that he is happy at Tigers.

Which one is true? Hope its the latter!
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Twelvetrees will stay. AA is good at what he does, but Billy offers so much more. AA will get his chance when 12T is playing for England.
avoidingrush

Post by avoidingrush »

Definalely need to sign billy but keep him at centre next to manu fly half is not his gig as for Mr Allen time to shake his hand and say thank you and best of luck I find him very frustrating once he gets the ball he finds it very hard to pass it he seems to get tunnel vision and doesn't see people around him. not bad at defense though.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

avoidingrush wrote:Definalely need to sign billy but keep him at centre next to manu fly half is not his gig as for Mr Allen time to shake his hand and say thank you and best of luck I find him very frustrating once he gets the ball he finds it very hard to pass it he seems to get tunnel vision and doesn't see people around him. not bad at defense though.
Perhaps AA does more for the team than you think. Surely the people who play with him know more about him and didnt they vote him their player of the season last year.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.