Post by rdracup »

No favours from ERC for supporters or team
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: As predicted - Friday night in Belfast

Post by me2 »

What favours were you expecting?

If anything, they DID do fans a favour by scheduling the match at around the same time as Ulster's usual matches!
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

For those working getting there on for a Friday evening is harder than a Saturday - and our Friday night record, though recently improved, has never been great. I just think a Saturday afternoon is always the best time to play rugby.

That said we have to play them there whenever and the differences are marginal.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

No suprises then, don't think the time will make much of a difference. The thing about friday nights is we are usually slow to get started but if the players can't get ready for this game then there is a real problem, it's must win. I am already predicting a cold, wet and windy night where the strongest pack will prevail, I still think we will sneak it but Floody will have to "find his kicking boots" for 80 minutes rather than 40.

Thinking about it we haven't lost on a Friday night for a while, excluding the LV.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

rdracup wrote:For those working getting there on for a Friday evening is harder than a Saturday - and our Friday night record, though recently improved, has never been great. I just think a Saturday afternoon is always the best time to play rugby.
There are twelve matches to be played in the Heineken Cup that weekend - they cannot all kick off at 3pm on the Saturday. For those working on the Friday and are intent on getting to the match, what's to stop them taking a day's holiday?
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

BJ. wrote:There are twelve matches to be played in the Heineken Cup that weekend - they cannot all kick off at 3pm on the Saturday. For those working on the Friday and are intent on getting to the match, what's to stop them taking a day's holiday?
Indeed my holiday request will be submitted today :smt023

Fingers crossed it isn't unlucky Friday 13th :smt009
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

BJ,

Have you any travel/accommodation plans in mind?? This will be our first ever weekend away following Tigers.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

kpbates wrote:BJ,

Have you any travel/accommodation plans in mind?? This will be our first ever weekend away following Tigers.
I'll drop you an email.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

BJ. wrote:
rdracup wrote:For those working getting there on for a Friday evening is harder than a Saturday - and our Friday night record, though recently improved, has never been great. I just think a Saturday afternoon is always the best time to play rugby.
There are twelve matches to be played in the Heineken Cup that weekend - they cannot all kick off at 3pm on the Saturday. For those working on the Friday and are intent on getting to the match, what's to stop them taking a day's holiday?[/quote]
I'm sure my headteacher will be happy!! NOT!! Teachers will not be able to take a days holiday!! Fans are being ostracised for money!!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

For anyone who may be interested in going to this game the people who organised the coach to Aironi are planning on doing this trip too. PM me for further details.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

WiggoTiger wrote:I'm sure my headteacher will be happy!! NOT!! Teachers will not be able to take a days holiday!! Fans are being ostracised for money!!
The last time I checked not everybody was a teacher!

It's obvious some are going to be put out or peed off by the kick-off times but you cannot please all of the people all of the time. I'm sorry if you can't make it.
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

Teachers may not be able to take Fridays off but then shift workers may not be able to take Saturdays off so, for everyone who can't do Fridays there is probably someone who can't do a Saturday or Sunday.

As BJ says, the games have always been spread over the Fri/Sat/Sun for TV (and logistical) reasons so it is no surprise.

As most fixtures involve travel to another country for the away team, SOMEONE will always have to travel on the Friday so SOMEONE will always lose out (or not get any "favours" as you put it).

This time it was us. It isn't some sort of ERC anti-Tigers plot you know.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

BJ. wrote:
WiggoTiger wrote:I'm sure my headteacher will be happy!! NOT!! Teachers will not be able to take a days holiday!! Fans are being ostracised for money!!
The last time I checked not everybody was a teacher!

It's obvious some are going to be put out or peed off by the kick-off times but you cannot please all of the people all of the time. I'm sorry if you can't make it.
Quite right. I actually despise Saturday afternoon kick off times, due to the issue that that is when I play rugby for my local club - meaning I'll always miss the match. However, I've begrudgingly accepted that for all those people who aren't within a certain age bracket/aren't lucky enough to be without injury/aren't that keen on rolling around in the mud in January, Saturday afternoon is the ideal.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

BJ. wrote:.... they cannot all kick off at 3pm on the Saturday.
Of course they can - very easily. They won't, of course.
BJ. wrote:For those working on the Friday and are intent on getting to the match, what's to stop them taking a day's holiday?
As Wiggo responded about teachers so to for many others. I suspect far more people than not can't get the time off at this sort of last minute notice. In fact for many of us, booked holidays being cancelled at the last minute are far more the norm!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

DickyP wrote:I suspect far more people than not can't get the time off at this sort of last minute notice. In fact for many of us, booked holidays being cancelled at the last minute are far more the norm!
Last minute notice? :smt017

We've known for five months this fixture will be played on the weekend of 13-15 January 2012.