Leicester v Clermont Auvergne

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Sparkie

Re: Leicester v Clermont Auvergne

Post by Sparkie »

GS wrote:
BJ. wrote:Marcos did something to his wrist in Clermont last weekend. I don't know the full extent of the damage but he appeared to be in a fair bit of pain at the time. I think Horacio's was just a tactical substitution yesterday.
Thanks BJ. I did almost hope that Aguila was taken off for an injury as didn't really see what Hamilton brought to the party. Apart from nearly giving a try away that is.
Dont see how anyone can criticise Scottie he has been one of our most consistant players since he has been at the club and certainly one of the few who can chase up a kick effectivly.
The older I get the better I use to play.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

kingol22 wrote:9 Points will see us top the group.
Clermont should get 9 points from their games but could lose to Ulster. Ulster could come out of the next 2 games with 2 points.
My predicted table
Tigers: 21
Clermont: 20
Ulster: 16
Aironi: 0

If we could get a bonus point against Ulster we may get a home 1/4 but it is very unlikely.
I would not be suprised if Clermont get 5 points vs Ulster, leaving the two sides level but then Clermont would win the group due to head to head. 21 would be enough for a best runners up spot but winning at Toulouse or Leinster will be a massive ask. Win the group and it will probably be a trip to Sarries or Munster.

My predicted qualifiers:

1. Leinster
2. Toulouse
3. Sarries
4. Munster
5. Clermont
6. Cardiff
7. Leicester
8. Scarlets/ Biarritz/ Edinburgh

But we need to win at Ravenhill first which will not be easy.
Last edited by PM76 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Sparkie wrote:
GS wrote:
BJ. wrote:Marcos did something to his wrist in Clermont last weekend. I don't know the full extent of the damage but he appeared to be in a fair bit of pain at the time. I think Horacio's was just a tactical substitution yesterday.
Thanks BJ. I did almost hope that Aguila was taken off for an injury as didn't really see what Hamilton brought to the party. Apart from nearly giving a try away that is.
Dont see how anyone can criticise Scottie he has been one of our most consistant players since he has been at the club and certainly one of the few who can chase up a kick effectivly.
Last season and the year before he was superb but this year he has been really off colour. He looked out of sorts yesterday and I think his contract is up at the end of the season and I suspect he will be released. It's ashame but Hamilton and Murphy seem to be holding back Morris. He has been a great servant ,especially when big names were off on international duty, but he will probably get a nice pension fund in France before heading back home.

Hopefully Marcos and Geoff will be back for Ulster so we can dominate up-front Boris and Skivs/ Slater are great deputies but not quite in the same class.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Grimlish wrote:Must've been nearer than me then :smt002
You can see it on the TV as well.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

PM76 wrote:
kingol22 wrote:9 Points will see us top the group.
Clermont should get 9 points from their games but could lose to Ulster. Ulster could come out of the next 2 games with 2 points.
My predicted table
Tigers: 21
Clermont: 20
Ulster: 16
Aironi: 0

If we could get a bonus point against Ulster we may get a home 1/4 but it is very unlikely.
I would not be suprised if Clermont get 5 points vs Ulster, leaving the two sides level but then Clermont would win the group due to head to head. 21 would be enough for a best runners up spot but winning at Toulouse or Leinster will be a massive ask. Win the group and it will probably be a trip to Sarries or Munster.

My predicted qualifiers:

1. Leinster
2. Toulouse
3. Sarries
4. Munster
5. Clermont
6. Cardiff
7. Leicester
8. Scarlets/ Biarritz/ Edinburgh

But we need to win at Ravenhill first which will not be easy.
My prediction

1. Leinster
2. Munster
3. Saracens
4. Toulouse
5. Edinburgh
6. Clermont
7. Quins
8. Cardiff
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Old Hob wrote:
jonlin wrote: Keep the faith, after all it is only a game and we should not allow the result of a rugby match, spoil a good day out
Have you been at the Christmas sherry again? :smt017 :smt043
Thats the Christmas spirit.......put as smile on my face! :smt023 :smt038
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

biffer wrote: My prediction

1. Leinster
2. Munster
3. Saracens
4. Toulouse
5. Edinburgh
6. Clermont
7. Quins
8. Cardiff
Can not see Munster making 2nd seed as they will probably lose to Saints with the way they are playing. I would say they will finish with 20 points.
1. Leinster
2. Sarries
3. Toulose
4. Clermont/Tigers
5. Munster
6. Edinburgh
7. Quins
8. Clermont/Tigers
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Genuine question: at the very end of the game Flood put a kick into the corner, presumably to have one last go at denying Clermont the bonus. From our vantage point in the CAT Tigers didn't contest the lineout but prepared to defend the drive - Parra kicked the ball dead immediately from that play. Was that what happened? Odd tactical decision by the line-out if so?

IMHO some of the criticism of Flood in the first half is unjust - he was playing into a swirling wind & Clermont's tactical kicking suffered similarly in the 2nd half. There was a restart kick that fell just in front of where we were seated. The ball must have moved a metre or more in the wind on the way down, nightmare for the bloke who called the catch.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

kend wrote:Genuine question: at the very end of the game Flood put a kick into the corner, presumably to have one last go at denying Clermont the bonus. From our vantage point in the CAT Tigers didn't contest the lineout but prepared to defend the drive - Parra kicked the ball dead immediately from that play. Was that what happened? Odd tactical decision by the line-out if so?
When we turned down the kick at goal a few minutes earlier, it seemed we were just trying to play the clock down rather than deny ASM the LBP. If we wanted to deny them the point, then we should have kept the ball in hand, going through the phases (and risked a turnover & end-to end score by them a la Glaws last season....).

Hence as soon as the lineout would be the last play of the game, Floody kicked the ball to touch - both sides seemed to have settled for the points they had already.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Parra kicked the ball dead immediately. It was clear his mind was made up as soon as the line out formed. The initial reaction of the Clermont supporters was shock/outrage which quickly passed.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Yesterday I heard Marcos Ayerza is to be out for 6 weeks and it'll be another 4-5 weeks before Craig Newby is fit. Also, everything seemed to have gone quiet on Anthony Allen at the moment
Three weeks according to the Mercury today. At the time AA's injury was revealed it was reported he'd be back in January, ditto for Parling. Then again Matt Tait was supposed to be back in December and there's no sign of him yet (we could do with him).

Newby will take a while to get up to speed. Don't see him playing regularly until the start of the 6N. Handy time to have him back though.