Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigermad
Super User
Super User

Leicester v Clermont Auvergne

Post by tigermad »

:smt024 :smt024

What a festive treat this weekend as Leicester look to bounce back after the loss in France. 20,000 plus expected to raise the roof and Santa himself might provide us with the perfect Christmas present - a win against Clermont and maybe an iPad or two and all that stuff. You never know.
Philip J Gray
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester v Clermont Auvergne

Post by Soggypitch »

I'm hopeful we can win but we could do with a 5-0 which is a huge ask.
I would put Billy at 12, move Manu to 13 and Smith to wing in place of Agulla.

However there is an argument for playing Agulla at F/b in place of Murphy who is seriously off form (hope it's not a permanent decline).

I would also consider Slater for Skivington (real shame Parling's not fit, any news on that?).
Soggypitch
Stupid

Post by Stupid »

Soggypitch wrote:I'm hopeful we can win but we could do with a 5-0 which is a huge ask.
I'm also hopeful we can win, but take the view that a win away against Ulster is perhaps more achievable than a 5-0 against Clermont. If that can be managed (a very very big if) any win will do this weekend.
bluehumber
Tiger Cub

Post by bluehumber »

We need to be playing quite a bit better than yesterday to be pushing for the home win, but after reading the Clermont-Tigers thread and looking at the photo of Parra biting Chutes http://twitpic.com/7s0dvq
I wonder if he will be cited as it's a long ban if he is,regulation 10.4m,
L E 12 http://www.ercrugby.com/IRB_Recommended ... 1_pdf2.pdf
I'm sure if it was a Tigers player there would be no doubt of a citing or is that me being cynical.

If he is cited, without Parra and missing their props (injured) one must hope we can push on and just perhaps clinch the victory needed.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

A win is necassary if we are to qualify, even as runners-up. A 5-0 would clearly be the prefect result but 4-0 is most realistic IMO, but will still be a huge ask. I think Tigers will win, which must be the first priority but denying Clermont an LBP would be perfect. Loose this game and our Heiny is over for another year IMO, even with a win in Ulster but if we can beat both Clermont and Ulster then we could still nail a home quarter.

My team would be:

15. Agulla (Murphy is showing signs of decline and Morris should not be thrown in for such a key game but afer Christmas he deserves a run in the side at 15)
14. Smith/ Hamilton
13. Tuilagi
12. Twelvetrees
11. Tuilagi
10. Flood
9. Youngs

1. Ayerza (if fit)/ Stankovich
2. Chuter
3. Cole
4. Skivs
5. Deacon
6. Croft
7. Salvi
8. Waldrom (Sunday showed what a key player he is for us, hopefully he is fit, if not Mafi or Slater)
tigerD

Post by tigerD »

15. Agulla (Murphy is showing signs of decline and Morris should not be thrown in for such a key game but afer Christmas he deserves a run in the side at 15)
14. Smith/ Hamilton
13. Tuilagi
12. Twelvetrees
11. Tuilagi
10. Flood
9. Youngs

1. Ayerza (if fit)/ Stankovich
2. Chuter
3. Cole
4. Skivs
5. Deacon
6. Croft
7. Salvi
8. Waldrom (Sunday showed what a key player he is for us, hopefully he is fit, if not Mafi or Slater)[quote][/quote]

Agree but would start with Hawkins, as Chutes a bit off form and Castro. Smith playing better and more game time than Hamilton at present.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Sorry but Niall Morris should play at full back this saturday without a doubt
Agulla is a winger not full back
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

What I saw on the highlights(not much I know),but Clermont seemed to bully us at the breakdown in the loose.Now that's what we normally do,we have them in the scrum,need to do the same in broken play.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Yes we needed Waldrom on from the start. We need Croft to do more than jump in the line. He gave away penalties and did nothing positive that I can recall.

So Youngs kept running sideways and flood kicked a lot. The game seem to be half the pace of the Saints game.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Qbec wrote:Sorry but Niall Morris should play at full back this saturday without a doubt
Agulla is a winger not full back
I think Morris will be Tigers full back by the end of the year, but I think throwing him in against the best back 3 we will play all season is too much to ask, ecspecially as he has not played since Ulster. After christmas though we have 3, relatively, simple games in Worcester, Wasps and Sale and I think Morris sould be given that time to bed in before the Heiny returns.

I thought Agulla could (and has) played full-back, although not for Tigers, but Hamilton could play there instead. What is clear IMO is that Murphy should be dropped; he is declining and it is a shame to see such a great player struggling. Hopefully he can take up coaching the backs and we might see some more inventive moves.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Said this on the tactics thread.....but it seems to fit in with what some are saying here.

Scrum half = small(ish) cheeky sod. Confident in his own ability and ready to pass kick or run depending on circumstance.
Fly half = Contoller, governor, playmaker, pass or kick at first reciever, yard maker with the boot.
Inside centre = runner and offloader, passer and creator of space. A fly half that never made it.
Outside centre = bash and crash merchant.
Wings = catch, run, fall over, score, celebrate, take all the credit.
FB = come into line as an extra wing or centre and adds an extra paceman to the attack.

OK so I'm already reaching for my coat but as an ex prop I can see us with FOUR bash and crash merchants and a misfiring flyhalf because he's got no confidence in the men around him an no alternatives to bash and crash.

Conclusion? Billy and Manu or Bill and Smithy would be a better combination than Smithy and Manu. Not sure about Agulla, but Geordan does not poses the attacking zip any more.

Coat reached for, got and I'm out of here! Like I said just a props view!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

According to the Merc website, Rougerie won't be playing this weekend due to a respiratory infection (?flu). At the risk of being accused of schadenfreude, this has to be good news for us.

To push my luck further, let's hope it's contagious!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

loretta wrote:According to the Merc website, Rougerie won't be playing this weekend due to a respiratory infection (?flu). At the risk of being accused of schadenfreude, this has to be good news for us.

To push my luck further, let's hope it's contagious!
As the jingle for a certain supermarket chain says, "Every little helps."
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

15 minutes gone, 6-0 to Clermont. 2 drop goals. We've had nearly all the ball but are trying to tick every box on the error bingo card. So far we've had a pass to fresh air, 2 knock ons, a missed pen, a throw not straight...

...BUT WE'VE JUST SCORED A TRY!

7-6
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

Tigers knock on from the kick off. A few phases later Flood goes in at the side. Parra nails the pen. 7-9.