Salary Cap exemption

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Salary Cap exemption

Post by sam16111986 »

Premiership Rugby explained that the policy, that for example could see Leicester could exclude Ben Youngs if they wished but not Newcastle immediately after signing him, is intended to, "ensure as far as possible that clubs keep players they have developed and there isn't an inflationary market in top English players moving from club to club".
Give Coley the deal he wants then exclude him from the squad and use the new gap in the salary cap to increase Ayerza's salary and keep Salvi. Sorted. We have a young team that will continue to improve over time. Youngs and Hawkins offer good competition for George at present and we can re-access that as and when we need too.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Tiglon wrote:http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-20 ... 40449.html

The exact detail of the qualification criteria has yet to be agreed but the "rough parameters" agreed by the clubs allow for an overseas signing to excluded from the salary cap or for a player acquired from a rival English club to be discounted. However, in the case of the latter, the player has to have been with the club for "a period of time".

Premiership Rugby explained that the policy, that for example could see Leicester could exclude Ben Youngs if they wished but not Newcastle immediately after signing him, is intended to, "ensure as far as possible that clubs keep players they have developed and there isn't an inflationary market in top English players moving from club to club".

So we could see most teams simply nominating their existing highest earner as exempt from the salary cap.

Looking at the Tigers squad, there aren't many positions where we need a superstar signing. For me, our weakest position is still inside centre - who wouldn't love to see a centre pairing of Manu and Jamie Roberts?
How about Nonu?

Nonu and Manu together in the centre, terrifying thought.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Nonu wouldn't be bad either! But my personal preference would be Roberts - I feel he's at the top of his game, whereas Nonu is just starting to decline.
Bertos

Post by Bertos »

Tiglon wrote: - who wouldn't love to see a centre pairing of Manu and Jamie Roberts?
Whoever the Australian centres are during the next Lions tour!
johns
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by johns »

Marquee sorted Adam Ashley-Cooper
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Marquee sorted..........whoever RC, PT want!! :smt017
We will have no say in it! :smt018
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
EustaceHPlimsoll
Tiger Cub

Post by EustaceHPlimsoll »

Apart from a hooker I'd love to see us sign a quality, pacey winger. We have enough battering rams in the team without the likes of Jamie Roberts – I'd like to see Ngwenya flying down the touchline instead. Or alternatively we could just keep Tait fit.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

WiggoTiger wrote:Marquee sorted..........whoever RC, PT want!! :smt017
Well obviously. I don't think anyone commenting thinks their opinion will influence the club.
EustaceHPlimsoll wrote:Apart from a hooker I'd love to see us sign a quality, pacey winger. We have enough battering rams in the team without the likes of Jamie Roberts – I'd like to see Ngwenya flying down the touchline instead. Or alternatively we could just keep Tait fit.
I agree that a pacey winger would add a bit of balance, but I couldn't think of one that fits the bill. Ngwenya is a rather poor tackler, so we'd just have an expensive Tom Varndell. Maybe Corey Jane?

Keep Tait fit? Now you're just living in a fantasy world...
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Thanks for your input. Let's not bother discussing anything and just close the message boards down then.
RayDTuTu

Post by RayDTuTu »

Danny Cipriani :)

He will be good cover when Flood is on England duty
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

biffer wrote:
Thanks for your input. Let's not bother discussing anything and just close the message boards down then.
Just stating obvious, all these wonderful ideas being bandied around and it comes down to RC's choice and PT agreeing. Lets rush out and buy an expensive Jonny Foreigner to fill the marquee spot! :smt013
Why bother lets use the money wisely to keep the squad together and enable others to be paid slightly more.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Isn't Jamie Roberts still a part-time medical student in Cardiff? He's unlikely to leave Wales if he is.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I am surprised that living in Baaaarth you didn't see our inside centre
slice through them like a knife through butter (when he was fit.)
AA is a high quality inside centre and is as good as most in the UK.
OK we may not have much of a second string but it's not bad when all are fit.
A life long Tiger
duffers
Tiger Cub

Post by duffers »

I see Adam Ashley-Cooper has joined the Waratahs. Does anybody know if he will join us afterwards?