> Laying the foundations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Luke Eldridge

> Laying the foundations

Post by Luke Eldridge »

In a game that typified the ferocious intensity and competitiveness of the Heineken Cup, Leicester finally started to display the mental resolve that has made trips to Welford Road so feared for opposition in the past in outmuscling Ulster to a 20-9 win. There was no try-bonus-point again, but this was never a game that looked like producing one. In being denied a losing-bonus-point, Ulster have been kept at arm's length in the pool before their next two games where they could realistically be aiming for nine or ten points against Aironi. The performance from the home team was archetypal Leicester Tigers: a lot of power and a little guile.

The porous nature of Leicester's defence this season has caused them to look towards a bitter enemy from the past in Shaun Edwards to bolster their coaching team and it was as if the Lancashire man's likely instructions were already ringing in the player's ears. The headline was nine points conceded to long-range penalties but the way in which Leicester contained Ulster was impressive. The penalty count was below every team's target of ten, the line-speed was consistently good even as the players tired and, most notably, the drift defence coped excellently with the threat from Andrew Trimble, Craig Gilroy and Simon Danielli.

This is where Leicester's collective defensive system has been exposed this season but the thirteen tackles from Matt Smith at outside centre were testament to a level of organisation seldom seen at Welford Road this season. Leicester rarely built up enough phases to get near to Ulster's try-line, but all good teams are built on a solid defence and the lack of attacking verve from the depleted centres is but a small loss if the opposition cannot get over the gain line.

A gutsy team performance was scattered with moments of class from some of Leicester's big-game players. Thomas Waldrom continues to take the fight to the opposition regardless of what is happening around him; a post-rugby career in the courier business awaits him, such is his consistency in delivering every time. He beats as many defenders as Alesana Tuilagi, he makes as many metres as Geordan Murphy, he tackles as much as Julian Salvi and he carries more than anybody. The offloads have, regrettably, disappeared from his game as he has become accustomed to the way Leicester play, but in a tight game as on Saturday, every one of his eighty-nine metres made with the ball was crucial.

Dan Cole continued to enhance his scrummaging reputation with, if not a knockout, a points victory over Ireland international Tom Court. Though some may question Richard Cockerill's recent favouring of Cole ahead of Martin Castrogiovanni at tight-head, the Leicester Tigers Director of Rugby seems to have found a useful way of getting the best out of both players.

The return of Ben Youngs provided some urgency in the back-line, but the consistent form of Sam Harrison in his absence has been extremely promising; in the space of a few weeks the Leicester-born scrum-half has propelled himself up from fourth-choice to second-choice and it is not unreasonable to suggest he could be pushing Youngs for a starting berth in the near future.

Where Ulster were far smarter than Leicester for large parts of the game was in their kicking; Paul Marshall and Ian Humphreys had a purpose that was lacking in Harrison and Toby Flood. A bad kick is made worse if there is no chase and the sight of Flood with arms held outstretched as not one of his team mates ran after an up-and-under suggested lack of communication or desire.

The big question for Leicester is whether their gradual resurgence will be enough to overcome the might of Clermont Auvergne. This latest win was not spectacular, but it was solid and the fifth game unbeaten in a row. To engage in a slugfest against Ulster was a useful rehearsal for the battle that will ensue with the French and that type of contest may be better suited to this current Leicester side.
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: > Laying the foundations

Post by parkerd68 »

An excellent post overall and, whilst I agree that Flood's kicking out of hand was not great, the example you mention where he was stood with outstretched arms did confuse me, as he kicked the ball up into the air, had noone round him to chase it, and stood still, therefore making anyone who did chase it offside.
pwinson

Post by pwinson »

Luke!
A well stated and elegant resume of the Ulster game, which may impress some on this site. However, it reads to me like an extended commentary which could have appeared on the Telegraph on Monday or a a starting point for a M.A. thesis on the subject of Sports sociology. It is a typical analytical piece, oh, so prominent in the UK - we can all do it - but where are the real insights as to where the Tigers can go forward from here. If you don't have any useful suggestions or otherwise, why bother to post it.

We have all heard it before!

I find it rather self serving -'look at me' etc.

Dr P
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

pwinson - you have obviously not grasped the principle of a forum. :smt009

Keep posting Luke -and welcome! It is heartening to see that you join a number of posters who bring an analysis and perspective to the forum. :smt001
Valhalla I am coming!
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

a wonderful comprehensive breakdown of the game Luke. well done and welcome along :smt023
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

One of the most interesting posts ive read in a long time.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Another great post Luke.

However I have two comments: Firstly, plese don't expect to either be right or to be thought so by others all the time. That's just not good form on here.

Secondly, nowhere do I see in your otherwise excellent and comprehensive post reference to the fact I wore my old, 'lucky' Tigers Shirt/Jersey on Saturday, thus single-handedly being responsible for our return to winning ways. :smt045
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

pwinson wrote:Luke!
A well stated and elegant resume of the Ulster game, which may impress some on this site. However, it reads to me like an extended commentary which could have appeared on the Telegraph on Monday or a a starting point for a M.A. thesis on the subject of Sports sociology. It is a typical analytical piece, oh, so prominent in the UK - we can all do it - but where are the real insights as to where the Tigers can go forward from here. If you don't have any useful suggestions or otherwise, why bother to post it.

We have all heard it before!

I find it rather self serving -'look at me' etc.

Dr P
Agreed. It's Tiger Mad's younger brother at college.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Old Hob wrote:It's Tiger Mad's younger brother at college.
I thought it was more William Blessing in disguise myself.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

With respect, there is nothing wrong or against forum rules in the original post. The OP is a comparative newbie and we don't want to put people off posting here. If you dislike the style or content of the post, please respect the user's right to post it here provided it is within forum rules.

If it bothers you or annoys you,there is always the "ignore" function, or failing that you can simply skip the thread and not bother reading it.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

What bothers me is the Grimlish seems to think it was something to do with his old shirt and has used no critical analysis of why that may be. He glibly comes on here and tries to take credit for others efforts, as if anyone is going to take him seriously. I do wonder sometimes the quality of some posters on here and if they know anything about rugby at all.

I know, on the other hand, that it was more to do with my old pants, and the reasoned analysis, that I have done, to be convinced this was the case, is that I have deliberatly not washed them since the last time we won. There conclusive proof!

I'm going to continue that for the rest of the season - You just watch our form here on in.