Moody leaves Leicester - his version

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Moody leaves Leicester - his version

Post by Old Hob »

It is pretty much as most people on here felt. Injuries + age + internationals meant Tigers were less keen to keep him - particularly as he had expressed a desire to go to France. Sorry it ended like this but think the club got it right.

The final year of his contract began with Moody expecting to leave through a desire to finish his career playing in France.

But, by Christmas, he said his mind-set had changed and that his "love for Leicester had been rekindled".

He went into contract negotiations with Tigers' top brass around Christmas and claims that Tigers made him an initial offer that was 20 per cent less than his existing deal.

Moody refers to a meeting between himself and his agent and Tigers head coach Matt O'Connor and director of rugby Richard Cockerill.

"O'Connor asked me if I was intending to retire from Test rugby after the 2011 World Cup," said Moody. "It annoyed me because it felt like the club were more or less telling me to retire after the World Cup, whereas the decision was for me and me alone."

He added: "They wanted to know what my demands were and I said that I wanted to stay at Leicester but to receive an offer that meant there was no way I would leave for France. We were not holding a gun to their heads."

Moody said the following month went by and agent Mark Spoors suggested Moody should see if any English clubs were interested in his services as French trio Toulouse, Clermont and Racing Metro had already made advances.

With Bath showing a strong interest, Moody says he was asked to go for a one-on-one meeting with Cockerill when he says he was told he would not be made an offer.

Moody said: "Cockers went on to explain that it was nothing personal but purely a business decision based on the fact that there was every chance that I would be away for autumn tests, Six Nations and then for the first part of the following season due to the World Cup.

"Cockers argued that Leicester couldn't and wouldn't compete with rival offers.

"I offered my hand as I left the meeting but I was bitterly upset and angry and it hurt like hell."

He added: "There will always be a bit of green, red and white inside of me and, of course, Leicester Tigers continue to be the best and biggest club in the country."

The last comment is sure to upset Barf. Source: http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/h ... story.html
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bertos

Mad Dog talks about leaving Tigers

Post by Bertos »

From today's Merc; Moody talks about his contract negotiations prior to his departure from Tigers in an excerpt from his autobiography. He calls the conversations leading up to his departure a "complete joke".

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/h ... story.html
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Moody leaves Leicester - his version

Post by JWM »

I'm afraid that it does come across that Moody thinks that Leicester owed him a living, expecting unquestioning loyalty to him whilst he was perfectly willing to be disloyal to the club.

Behaving like you're indispensible, wanting the benefit of the upper end of professional wages, but trying to make the process run on sentimental reasons is - to say the least - unrealistic.

Did he seriously expect Leicester to be able to match the non-salary-capped French, for an aging and increasingly injury-prone player who'd also be likely to be away on international duty?

These are my demands.

Sorry, we can't keep you on anywhere near those terms.

Now I'm all upset.

Diddums - and perhaps you should have been a bit more realistic to begin with...

In his autobiography LM is trying to paint himself as the victim, with evil uncle Richard as the wicked step-father. But in this panto, I'm afraid that it is LM who has shown himself up. From hero, he's gone down in my estimation.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

The club gave him no chance to show loyalty. So he looked at France hes not the only player to do so. By not offering him a contract the club forced him out.
He deserved a bit more than that.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Sorry JWM, that's a bit harsh. Yes it's a business and yes he is injury prone (he does dive in amonst the feet)and would be away with England BUT Loyalty goes both ways and Lewis never gave less than 100% in a Tigers shirt and didn't flinch about putting everything on the line.For the club and the supporters. He didn't want to leave the club he clearly loves.
Was it really too much to give a great and loyal player a contract for his last two years playing? When he has given so much of himself?
Are we so heartless, even in the professional age, that we had to treat him like that?
I was appalled when he left and despite his hitherto reticence to complain about his treatment, this latest revelation only increases my angst.
A life long Tiger
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We can all be clever with hindsight and say the club did the right thing,we could also be finding reasons for why he should or could have stayed.Thing is it is a different game now,proffesionalism and money mean this will keep on happening,so we will have to get used to it.
I'm thinking that no-ones is to blame,it's just business,as the line in the Godfather movie portrayed.(At least we didn't leave him swimming with the fishes)
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

kingol22 wrote:The club gave him no chance to show loyalty. So he looked at France hes not the only player to do so. By not offering him a contract the club forced him out.
But they did make him an offer ! Lewis was unhappy that it was 20% lower than his existing deal and wanted something that prevented him going elsewhere.

Tigers decided on that basis to not compete and withdrew their offer.

I think that is all absolutely fine for both sides. Lewis got to sign a fantastic contract at Bath (and he has barley played), and Tigers moved in a different direction.

Personally i am bit dissapointed in the way Lewis has portrayed it.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I have said it before but I'll say it again - Excellent player in his day and a very nice chap but it was the best bit of business Tigers did letting him go. The farcical way that English Rugby is financed does not allow a club to be sentimental about a player.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

tig1 wrote:
kingol22 wrote:The club gave him no chance to show loyalty. So he looked at France hes not the only player to do so. By not offering him a contract the club forced him out.
But they did make him an offer ! Lewis was unhappy that it was 20% lower than his existing deal and wanted something that prevented him going elsewhere.

Tigers decided on that basis to not compete and withdrew their offer.

I think that is all absolutely fine for both sides. Lewis got to sign a fantastic contract at Bath (and he has barley played), and Tigers moved in a different direction.

Personally i am bit dissapointed in the way Lewis has portrayed it.
Sorry but an offer that is 20% lower than he was on might as well be no offer at all.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Also we gave Murphy a 3 year deal. Why not Moody?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

To me Moody will always be a Tigers Legend simply for the way he played the game for us.

However, I don't see why the club should be under any obligation to offer him whatever he wants, an offer equal to his previous deal, or make him an offer at all. What if a player decides he wants to play until he's 50? Should the club continue to offer him contracts on the same wage as he was on when he was 25 simply out of loyalty?

The club has shown Moody loyalty over the years. Think back to the times when he has been missing due to injury - I recall many fans questioning the club keeping him here. Add to that all the coaching, support etc he's no doubt had since he joined Tigers and it's fair to say he hasn't been treated too badly. Similarly, I'm sure Moody had plenty of opportunities to leave the club earlier in his career, but chose to stay - so he has shown loyalty too.

Unfortunately, they came to a point where they couldn't come to an agreement, so he left. This is sad, but it's just life. It's not like he was kicked out of the club into poverty and despair - he moved on to what I'm sure is a fairly lucrative contract and the chance to live in a particularly lovely part of the country.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I think 20% less was a good offer

It could be argued that he is at least only 80% of the player he was

He was not able to assure the club of his avaiability therefore they need to bring in other quality players

Until very recent injury and call ups Newby and Waldroum have proved much better "value" for money than Moody would have been had he stayed.

Last year how many games did he play for Bath - He spent most of his time playing for England or injured - 80% of his previous money for that would have been a good deal.

Let's not fool ourselves about loyalty - he left for money - for which I do not blame him - he is in a precarious profession in a career which is drawing to a close - he must maximise his potential income while he can. It is just not to be at our expense.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Also we gave Murphy a 3 year deal. Why not Moody?
Exactly and we gave contracts to Staunton and Grindall.Castro et al.
So he was bound to play for England. So was every one of the scores of other
internationals who have graced the club. That should never be a factor.
"Sorry, you can't have a contract because you will be away with England too much?"
How crass is that? :censored: rediculous. We would never keep any great players with that attitude.
As has been said, 20% less was no offer at all for the England Captain.
In fact it was a :censored: insult to this great player and servant of the club.
I don't accept any of the rubbish about commercial realism and salary caps.
If they wanted to keep him, the money would have been found.
He is not a journeyman player, he is the very essence of Tigers rugby.
Still a very good player and I for one wish he was playing for us now.
He deserved to be treated better than that.
A life long Tiger
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I liked Moody more than any other player. But he wanted Tigers to offer him more money than any other English or French club.

That's not loyalty. That's just bartering.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
beech

Post by beech »

Like most, if not all, Tigers supporters I was an admirer of Moody. He played some great games for the club and always gave 100% - when he was fit and not playing for England. I don't know what Bath is paying him but I think that it is doubtful that they are getting value for money. His performances in the World Cup shows that he is not the player he was.
tf22