Turning the corner

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Turning the corner

Post by kpb »

After the game against Sale(and LV cup win against Glaws) I thought that we had turned the corner and we would be back to the tigers of old,then we had the Irish nightmare and we came back down to earth we a bump.

We got the win yesterday(could have been a banana skin)have we now turned the corner?Surely at some point Tigers are going to dish out a real drumming to some poor unfortunate team?!

Starting Saturday would be good.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Turning the corner

Post by Tiglon »

We don't need to dish out a drubbing to one team, we need to develop a string of consistent performances where the team plays with efficiency, accuracy and imagination.

Despite a decent 40 minutes here and there, that doesn't seem to be forthcoming.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

To me it seems we just need to sort out our inaccuracies in attack. The defence seems to be solid now, and the pack is working hard, but the poor backs play is letting us down.

Yesterday it was more poor execution than lack of ideas or skill. We generally played with pace and width, but numerous times, poor handling or a bad pass let us down.

It needs to click quickly, and I think that when it does, we are going to be hard to stop. Having Allen/Billy/Manu back would help too. Lets hope it doesn't happen too late!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

How late is too late? :smt017
Valhalla I am coming!
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Tiglon wrote:We don't need to dish out a drubbing to one team, we need to develop a string of consistent performances where the team plays with efficiency, accuracy and imagination.

Despite a decent 40 minutes here and there, that doesn't seem to be forthcoming.
Darc Tiger wrote:To me it seems we just need to sort out our inaccuracies in attack. The defence seems to be solid now, and the pack is working hard, but the poor backs play is letting us down.

Yesterday it was more poor execution than lack of ideas or skill. We generally played with pace and width, but numerous times, poor handling or a bad pass let us down.

It needs to click quickly, and I think that when it does, we are going to be hard to stop. Having Allen/Billy/Manu back would help too. Lets hope it doesn't happen too late!
Thses comments sum it up for me, the sooner the better, hopefully this weekend and definately before Saints at home!!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Contrary to some opinions posted elsewhere, the saints match is key for us. If we are still in a state of disrepair by then, it will be too late to get a top 4, and probably too late for HC qualification.
Valhalla I am coming!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I still think defense is the main problem, rather than attack. True, we weren't as accurate as we should have been against Aironi, and in other recent matches. However, we have scored lots of tries this season - 20 so far in the AP, the 2nd highest total.

Defensive errors cost us against Irish, and that match should have been one to send out the message that we had indeed turned the corner. If we can sort this out I think we can still do reasonably well this season.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

As with LI for large parts of the game we had the majority of the ball and did nothing with it.
If you take the first 20 mins out when we scored 20 points to their 0, then from that point on Aironi out scored us.
With the ball we've had this last 2 weeks we should of been out of sight with a TBP in the bag.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
mikefro

Post by mikefro »

with ref to turning the corner . . . . .
I've just been reading Official Yearbook 2010-11

League table reads -
Guinness Prem...round 8
4th place Wasps 22pts
11th place Bath 11pts

...round 22(same season)
4th place Bath 61pts
5th place Wasps 57pts

this season - round 8
4th place Gloucester 19pts
10th place Tigers 14pts

WALK IN THE PARK I RECKON...
Ulster

Post by Ulster »

Lets hope you don't give us a drubbing :smt022 We#re capable off producing some almighty :censored: ups ont he road.

If you do hammer us, except the biggest kicking off your lives when you reach Ravenhill :smt018

2004 style

I think we've played each other twice in the Hcup
You won 1 game 49-7 and we won the other game 33-0???
Tigershaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tigershaz »

We certainly looked to have turned a corner defensively bagainst ulster. They never looked like scoring atry. :smt038
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Is it fair to say now that we have turned the corner or am I getting carried away? :smt026 :smt026
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The defence has certainly been alot better........Gloucester were not given many chances to threaten the try line..........a loose pass gifted them the try they scored!!

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

kpbates wrote:Is it fair to say now that we have turned the corner or am I getting carried away? :smt026 :smt026
I would say it would be prudent to wait until the Saints game next week. But we're certainly heading the right direction now, still some tidying up to do, belt and braces and all that. 1 or 2 players back to the mix (Manu) and we'll be well on our way. But, that shouldn't gloss over some earlier frailties, we'd be mad to ignore those, lack of penetration, game plan etc.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.