catering vans

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

man in the suite
Top Cat
Top Cat

catering vans

Post by man in the suite »

:smt013 can somebody tell me how can the catering van's inside the ground charge such high prices. last night develoment game three burgers three chips twenty two pounds, bigest rip of ever. :smt013
GrumpyDad

Re: catering vans

Post by GrumpyDad »

man in the suite wrote::smt013 can somebody tell me how can the catering van's inside the ground charge such high prices. last night develoment game three burgers three chips twenty two pounds, bigest rip of ever. :smt013
Hmmm :smt017! Are you not answering your own question by using them?
man in the suite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by man in the suite »

no i am not this was in conversation at the game :smt039
GrumpyDad wrote:
man in the suite wrote::smt013 can somebody tell me how can the catering van's inside the ground charge such high prices. last night develoment game three burgers three chips twenty two pounds, bigest rip of ever. :smt013
Hmmm :smt017! Are you not answering your own question by using them?
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Because they can. I wandered across the ring road to get a lovely haddock and chips for a fiver. By the smell on the terrace an awful lot of other folks did the same !

Oh an a 0.5l bottle of water from the shop next door for 75p. It £2.10 for 330 ml in the ground.

I'm glad plenty of people pay it as it helps keep Tigers viable I gues, but I think the prices are laughable.

At Sale last Friday night I got a nice pie with mash, peas and gravy for £4.50. Not a bargain but miles better than seven quid for burger and chips.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Purebob wrote:Because they can. I wandered across the ring road to get a lovely haddock and chips for a fiver. By the smell on the terrace an awful lot of other folks did the same !

Oh an a 0.5l bottle of water from the shop next door for 75p. It £2.10 for 330 ml in the ground.

I'm glad plenty of people pay it as it helps keep Tigers viable I gues, but I think the prices are laughable.

At Sale last Friday night I got a nice pie with mash, peas and gravy for £4.50. Not a bargain but miles better than seven quid for burger and chips.
agree the pie/mash/peas/gravy at Sale is excellent - in fact usually the best thing about the whole evening.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I never eat at the ground the food is over priced and expensive. The gf bless her complains about the G burgers van everytime we sit in the CAT stand it stinks and with her being a veggie she's not a fan.

About time the club did a deal with Castro's restaurant and started selling nice pizzas, pastas and ciabattas at the games. There's enough curry houses around Leicester as well, surely one of them would like to come in a do a deal to provide food. Then if you have to pay top whack at least the food you're getting is top quality.

I'd imagine the high prices are because the food vans have to pay a chunky licence fee to take their place at the games.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I cater at our dressage competitions and serve up well sourced sausages and burgers (i.e. proper meat from a butchers) delivered in nice tasty fresh buns with a range of sauces and pickles for them that wants it.

I can knock these out at £2 a go and make a decent profit, and guarantee that the punters will be back for more.

The only excuse for overcharging is that some mug will pay it.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The vans out side are OK and reasonable at £3.50 or so for a burger. Curry on chips???? whatever next?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Old Hob wrote:The vans out side are OK and reasonable at £3.50 or so for a burger. Curry on chips???? whatever next?
Never had chips and curry sauce? Where have you been for the last 30 years?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

jgriffin wrote:The Great Durbar aka Bombay Bites could extend their superb Bombay Bites boxes to WR.Less than a fiver for a cracking set of curries (including veggie) on rice or chips.
Catering at matches can be good but if people put up with rubbish that's what you get.
I agree and in this age where we have good restaurants all over the country and there is a real focus on eating healthier, the standard of the food at many sporting venues is extremely poor. Having tried most of the catering options at WR, I now either eat out in town before the match or bring my own food. At least that way I know it is healthy and good value. Shame though, how difficult does it have to be to provide a cup of nice soup and a ham roll?
Always a Tiger
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I can knock these out at £2 a go and make a decent profit, and guarantee that the punters will be back for more
Yes but how much does it cost for you to have that pitch to see from? Tigers out source the food options at the ground meaning the vans will have to pay a hefty annual charge/percentage of proceeds in order to have the opportunity to sell their goods this has to come into the price of the food. Tigers should take on their own catering and utilise the foody county we are situated in.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sam16111986 wrote:
I can knock these out at £2 a go and make a decent profit, and guarantee that the punters will be back for more
Yes but how much does it cost for you to have that pitch to see from? Tigers out source the food options at the ground meaning the vans will have to pay a hefty annual charge/percentage of proceeds in order to have the opportunity to sell their goods this has to come into the price of the food. Tigers should take on their own catering and utilise the foody county we are situated in.
Not to mention wages, maintenance of equipment, tax etc.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Bit lazy and greedy of Tigers all at the same time. £22 for the food described is a joke except for the fact it is true.
Tigers have total control of who, how many and what they pay to put their van there.
I would have thought that there are enough employees on the Tigers staff to take catering seriously but the neverending thread on this forum about catering suggests otherwise.
Leicestershire is a huge food county but you wouldnt know it at Tigers.
I don't buy food in the ground because I have found it expensive and not very nice. Until very recently I have ourced a lovely cheese, onion an dmayo bap at Ted's Kwik bite next door but one to the chippy. But it has closed!! I am devastated and am still looking for a source of cheese and onion.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

How much do Tigers charge the concession caters?