Tonight's horror show.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GrumpyDad

Re: Tonight's horror show.

Post by GrumpyDad »

Without being unduly critical it was a poor performance last night. Defensively Northampton were much better and seemed to have a game plan as far as the attack was concerned.
The running support lines from Northampton players put ours to shame, & perhaps shows a rugby league influence?
Robinson on the wing is a big bloke, but apart from one clearance kick he was absent all night. Several of the tries in the second half went straight through his channel as if he had already gone for a shower.
Ford has ability, but lacks experience & also lacks bulk. It was evident that Northampton viewed him as someone that they could run over without too much trouble. With guidance & support outside him to provide confidence, he could improve in the way that Sam Vesty did with Aaron Mauger.
Some good points from the game, the chips from across the road were ok, but apart from that I can't think of much.
brettclark

Post by brettclark »

I don't get all this criticism of George Ford.
What he has achieved up to yet for an 18year old fly half nobody has ever done before including Wilkinson-
let him develop naturally and we have a diamond on our hands i'm sure!

Tonight wasn't anybodies fault in particular- some things you just can't control!
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Isn't there an Andy Symonds who is playing for Tigers? He played against Scarlets in the 1st LV match? Thought he looked quite sharp and put in a few good tackles.
Has he been despatched to other areas?
GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

Snorbins wrote:Isn't there an Andy Symonds who is playing for Tigers? He played against Scarlets in the 1st LV match? Thought he looked quite sharp and put in a few good tackles.
He played well, but went off injured with what looked like quite a bad ankle/lower leg problem.
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

Sounds like Fords taken over from Billy as the messiah for the hate brigade!!!!!!!!
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

I don't get all this criticism of George Ford.
What he has achieved up to yet for an 18year old fly half nobody has ever done before including Wilkinson-
let him develop naturally and we have a diamond on our hands i'm sure!
I agree with this. What I am indignant about are idiots like Barnes and Morris demanding Ford be played first choice ten now.

He's a oountry mile from being even overtaking Staunton in the pick, let alone being our first choice IMO. Leave the kid alone and let him develop out of the spotlight, I say.
Bertos

Post by Bertos »

GrumpyDad wrote:
Snorbins wrote:Isn't there an Andy Symonds who is playing for Tigers? He played against Scarlets in the 1st LV match? Thought he looked quite sharp and put in a few good tackles.
He played well, but went off injured with what looked like quite a bad ankle/lower leg problem.
Looks like it is a leg break. From today's Merc:

"Playing in the centres is the jinx position this year. He has a suspected fracture of the fibula and could be out for four to six weeks.

Full article:

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/M ... story.html
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

jgriffin wrote:Hate brigade? - nowhere near it. The 'nay-sayers' have been 'nay-saying' for months that Ford is nowhere near ready for big boy rugby. Now perhaps that view - often decried by the 'real supporters' - will seen to be precise and justified.
Some of the posters here actually know what they are talking about. So no 'if you're so good why aren't you coaching Tigers' thanks. Everyone needs someone to tell them their fly/blouse is open and showing the wares!
I think you should apply for the job as you seem to think nobody else's opinion counts, if you look at my posts ive never said that Ford should be in the team, in my opinion Flood is far and away our best fly half but all the desparaging remarks about Ford not being big enough, not good enough and playing poorly will not do his confidence any good at all.
Ford has played in a side depleted of first choice players and the replacements have not performed so he was always going to struggle, you do not win the IRB award for being a bad player, people need to stop knocking him, i hope when he gets a bit of game time people will get behind him.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

It's one of those rare occasions, but I agree with tonyw. :smt002
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Ford is always going to split the camp IMO. I remember Wilkinson at a younger age, he wasn't the biggest. Wilko has some problems with the contact and some bad injuries that were contact related although he did appear thicker set than Ford and Wilko also seemed to have very high strength levels for his size but was perhaps a little too enthusiastic at times to prove it but prove it he did. I think much of the doubt on Ford for many comes from the fact that Ford is not only very small but he also seems to lack the natural strength levels needed to cope with opponents at the top level. I'm not sure how much more Ford will add and how it will change his game but only time will tell and Tigers obviously feel he can mature to the task. I see no reason for or against him playing at present as long as he can see the bigger picture. It doesn't hurt to make mistakes as long as you learn from them but you don't want to be hung out to dry only for it to keep raining.
Cheery chappy
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

And he ain't gonna get better if he doesn't play! Of course, he should get game time during the 6N as well as bench duties when appropriate.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Having now witnessed the London Irish debacle, it's worth looking back to this game and comparing the two.
Both games showed up our coaching deficiencies.
It's getting serious and something needs to be done.
A life long Tiger