Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Floody/Ford or Staunton??

Post by kpb »

To start against London Irish??

Bearing in mind how Staunton controlled the game against Bath I would go with him.Floody not controlling things well at all at the moment.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Lammy

Re: Floody/Ford or Staunton??

Post by Lammy »

Unless Flood has an injury I would always start with him. I suspect Cockers would not be thinking of changing anything at present unless injuries dictate.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Given Manu, AA, and 36 are still crocked I'd go with both. Floody at IC and Smithy at OC. Alex and Agulla an the wings and Morris at FB.

...........But what do I know?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

I would certainly not start with Staunton.I would also have Ford on the bench, with more experienced players around him he may not be so exposed.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

I think we can't afford to rotate in the backs yet. Although we lacked penetration vs. Sale it was much better in the second half when A.Tuilagi/ Murphy started playing at 12 in attack. The only rotation I would suggest for L.Irish is Castro/ Cole, Boris/ Ayerza, Chuter/ Youngs, Deacon/ Skivington and bringing Mickey Young and Billy in if they are fit.

The main thing is our defensive solidarity which was good vs Sale, Smith and Agulla will never shy out of a tackle and showed good organisation. Even if we are not scoring tries in the backs I think we can put 4 tries past L.Irish, Aironi and Ulster simply due to our forward dominance which I suggest we should have in the next 3 games. For example although Alex scored that try was really due to the superb maul and then a reasonable set move, which I'm sure we've done at least a couple of times before.

Edit: Sorry went a bit off topic there but why would we drop Flood the only way he will find form is by playing and playing at IC won't help him or the team. I would rather have an off form Flood than any of the current options, he will come good.

Form is temporary class is permanent.
Last edited by PM76 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Flood is by far our best fly half, no reason to drop him.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Jeremy Staunton is very boring ie predictable. Fine for a 10 man game.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

kpbates wrote:.... Floody not controlling things well at all at the moment.
In exactly what way isn't he controlling things? He totally controlled both the Gloucester and Sale games. Or are you talking about his run at 12 for England?
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Class is permanent and I think that Flood has real class.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

Can't believe that this is a serious question. Is rather like a nz fan asking whether to start with carter. Never ceases to amaze me how underrated flood is, even by tigers fans.
Joe The Tigers Fan
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Jose wrote:Can't believe that this is a serious question. Is rather like a nz fan asking whether to start with carter. Never ceases to amaze me how underrated flood is, even by tigers fans.
Whole heartedly agree - what is it that his critics think he can't do? Kicks, runs, passes as well or better than anyone in the AP and tackles better than any FH except Wilkinson at his best. Controls the game well and his kicking form hand only goes wrong from occasional over ambition! Look at his place kicking since he got back - 12/13 and plenty of them difficult ones.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

If Flood is fit he should always start at 10 . Ford is sadly a little overhyped , while Staunton is not even squad standard . Yes , Flood does have occasional 10 minutes lapses , but overall gives direction and imagination which transforms our attacking play . I would back him as our future Captain - we need someone who plays with his brain .
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

kpbates wrote:To start against London Irish??

Bearing in mind how Staunton controlled the game against Bath I would go with him.Floody not controlling things well at all at the moment.
Considering he's "not controlling things well at the moment" it's amazing that Tigers have wrapped up two BP wins in his two starts, and Flood himself has picked up three try assists, set up the position for a fourth with a good line break and scored a fifth himself.

Oh, and picked up around 30 points with the boot in those two games.

Even an out of form Flood is still the best FH we've got by a fair distance, and I don't even think he's out of form. The only possible reason to move him from 10 would be if we need him in the centres as a result of all the injuries.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="Lammy"]Unless Flood has an injury I would always start with him. I suspect Cockers would not be thinking of changing anything at present unless injuries dictate.[/quote]

Ditto
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Bertos

Post by Bertos »

4071 wrote: Considering he's "not controlling things well at the moment" it's amazing that Tigers have wrapped up two BP wins in his two starts, and Flood himself has picked up three try assists, set up the position for a fourth with a good line break and scored a fifth himself.

Oh, and picked up around 30 points with the boot in those two games.
Completely agree, and he has done that while having a rookie scrum half one side of him and an Outside Centre playing Inside Centre the other side.

I think he's played pretty well since he has been back.