Rugby Club and George Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tonyw

Rugby Club and George Ford

Post by tonyw »

Comments from the rugby club pundits that they cannot understand why a young guy with his talent is not in the squad and that it could dent his confidence.

Is it another case of Cockers going for the safe option again?
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rugby Club and George Ford

Post by Purebob »

I have NEVER seen Ford play a good game against adult opposition. I have seen Ford preside over some of the worst kickings Tigers ever had.

At DK we have a couple of quite brilliant colts. They don't play for the first XV yet because they only excel against age group competition. Same with Ford I think.
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

I would compare Ford now to Ben Youngs 2 years ago. Not alot of him, and was protected, but throw him into a few adult games and you see him progess. Last season I only saw ford at the back of the front line, and it looked like that front line were doing their best to protect him. I think he has stepped up and is starting to position himself in the line as a 10. I cant wait to see Ford grow into the 10 shirt
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

I broadly understand what they were trying to say, but Sale on a wet Friday night isn't the right moment. Our selection is playing to the fact that if Flood or one of the centres get injured we need somebody (slightly) more solid than Ford to come on to ensure our midfield doesn't get pummelled. Being run over by Tuitupou wouldn't help Ford's development. Hence I think Cockerill is right on this occasion, and the Rugby Club boys are (as usual) talking out of their behinds.
Joe The Tigers Fan
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

I don't think it is right for Ford to be on the bench for Sale, we need someone who can cover 12 and 10 on the bench which Staunton can do and as far as I am aware Ford has only ever played 10. Most weeks Flood could be asked to step in at 12 if there was an injury but this week and for upcoming weeks we will be v. streched in the centres. Ford will get more game time for Tigers, at least during the LV and probably during the 6 nations. He has also played a lot of rugby so far this season and IMO Staunton is a better player than George at the minute and for must win games which virtually every game is for Tigers we need our best 23 selected.

Ford will probably play in the A- League and people criticise Cockers for how he brings players through but a lot of Tigers youngsters come into the first team, thrive and then end up in the England side after about 20 Tigers games e.g. Tuilagi, Cole and Youngs.

The rugby club pundits would be for Ford on the bench but if he missed a last minute kick they would say it was too much pressure on such a young player etc. A pundit can have it both ways but a coach can only have it one way.
neilf
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by neilf »

The rugby club pundits were also saying Leicester should take a chance and play Ford as he is the future, problem being with the professional game if it does not work the coaches may not have a future. Reading comments on here people are already suggesting changes. If your job depended on it I bet most on here would take the safe option. This season we need results not take chances with young players and end up in a relegation dog fight. The pundits would love to be reporting at the end of the season that next year Leicester are in the championship, they would not add "at least they played the young up and coming players instead of the safe bet".
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="jamiewilkinson"]I would compare Ford now to Ben Youngs 2 years ago. Not alot of him, and was protected, but throw him into a few adult games and you see him progess. Last season I only saw ford at the back of the front line, and it looked like that front line were doing their best to protect him. I think he has stepped up and is starting to position himself in the line as a 10. I cant wait to see Ford grow into the 10 shirt[/quote]

Reminds me a lot of Ross Broadfoot
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
GEH

Post by GEH »

As has been mentioned it comes down to size. Saw him play against brother Joe (6ft) at Leeds a couple of seasons ago and George looked very much the kid brother. He's bulked up since but can still be targeted by big back rows and inside centres to run in his channel, e.g the recent Saracens game.
Despite his obvious brains and talent is 5’9” 12st 8lb enough? (Flood 6’2” 14st 4lb, Staunton 6’ 15st). Owen Farrell who could be a competitor for England 10 (18 months older) is 6’2” 15st 2lb. If you have to support a player in the tackle all the time it will eventually leave you short-handed elsewhere. Tigers need to work out a playing system to accommodate him.
When comparing him to Youngs you’re comparing a 10 to a 9 with a different spec;........but he only turned 18 in May & Charlie Hodgson is just 5’10” 12st 12lb so surely there’s still time to hope.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I think Ford needs to be brought in gradually, there is no point throwing him into big games against big opposition and watching his confidence get crushed. He's improving all the time and at only just 18 I'd say he probabley needs another year of development at least before he is looked at as a first team regular.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

GEH wrote:As has been mentioned it comes down to size. Saw him play against brother Joe (6ft) at Leeds a couple of seasons ago and George looked very much the kid brother. He's bulked up since but can still be targeted by big back rows and inside centres to run in his channel, e.g the recent Saracens game.
Despite his obvious brains and talent is 5’9” 12st 8lb enough? (Flood 6’2” 14st 4lb, Staunton 6’ 15st). Owen Farrell who could be a competitor for England 10 (18 months older) is 6’2” 15st 2lb. If you have to support a player in the tackle all the time it will eventually leave you short-handed elsewhere. Tigers need to work out a playing system to accommodate him.
When comparing him to Youngs you’re comparing a 10 to a 9 with a different spec;........but he only turned 18 in May & Charlie Hodgson is just 5’10” 12st 12lb so surely there’s still time to hope.
Ford is only slightly smaller (and 4 years younger) than Aaron Cruden.

The size issue isn't ideal, but it is a bit of a red herring. The reason he's not featuring is because he is a talented young player with a lot of learning to do. Most fly-halves of his age are still waiting in their club's A side for an opportunity in the LV. Ford has already played nearly a dozen matches, including four Premiership starts when more experienced options were available (such as 12T and Staunton).

As ever, pundits on Rugby Club can say what they want - they can be as adventurous as the like in their selections because they never have to stand by them. Cockerill has to stand by his, and at the moment it could be that Staunton is the better option to have on the bench. I don't think he is necessarily, but it's not so clear-cut a selection as all that.

Besides, the chances are that - fitness permitting - the debate about the FH cover on the bench is a debate about which player will be spending 80 minutes watching Toby Flood.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

PM76 wrote:I don't think it is right for Ford to be on the bench for Sale, we need someone who can cover 12 and 10 on the bench which Staunton can do and as far as I am aware Ford has only ever played 10.
Staunton isn't 12 cover either. If we needed cover at 12, then the chances are that Flood would move there and the FH on the bench would move into the 10 slot.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Ford should be in the squad this week & every week as the only way he is going to learn is to play, he needs the chance to play behind our better forwards which he hasn't had yet, any issue with Staunton is a red herring as he is far too often a let down off the bench, if we don't play Ford when ever we ge the chance we end up with an underdeveloped player when we need him, just like a lot of the XV early this season. This season (AP)is gone in all likelyhood we need to focus on the HC & use the AP to look at the squad to see who is & isn't up to the task & recruit accordingly.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

4071 wrote:
PM76 wrote:I don't think it is right for Ford to be on the bench for Sale, we need someone who can cover 12 and 10 on the bench which Staunton can do and as far as I am aware Ford has only ever played 10.
Staunton isn't 12 cover either. If we needed cover at 12, then the chances are that Flood would move there and the FH on the bench would move into the 10 slot.
Either scenario could occur but I still think Ford offers more than Staunton ATM and will for a year or so, which is why Staunton signed a three year contract last year because Ford is now probably 1.5 seasons off being a complete prem player. Farrel was about a year older than George is now when he started playing and he was hardly the complete article from the word go.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

Jose wrote:I broadly understand what they were trying to say, but Sale on a wet Friday night isn't the right moment. Our selection is playing to the fact that if Flood or one of the centres get injured we need somebody (slightly) more solid than Ford to come on to ensure our midfield doesn't get pummelled. Being run over by Tuitupou wouldn't help Ford's development. Hence I think Cockerill is right on this occasion, and the Rugby Club boys are (as usual) talking out of their behinds.
+1
cheers
Rich