Is it time to thank Cockers for his efforts?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Is it time to thank Cockers for his efforts?

Post by WiggoTiger »

Having luckily avoided watching the rubbish thrown up today, and as I mentioned at the beginning of the week a thrashing was always on the cards. Is it now time to thank Cockers for all his time at the club as a player, coach and Director of Rugby and look for someone/group of people who will stop the rot! Tackling, ball retention, forwards play, game plans, fire in the belly all spring to mind alongside brilliant backs with skills. This is what TIGERS once stood for going back the 35 years I've been a loyal supporter. Very very worried that season is a write off already!
:smt022 :smt013 :smt022 :smt013
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Tigers27
Tiger Cub

Re: Is it it time to thank Cockers for his efforts?

Post by Tigers27 »

I personally think we need to give Cockers a few games with a proper squad to pick from, however, with reflection on last season, will it be much better??

If it changes, who would we want in his place?
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

We need a coach with some imagination ie not an ex forward!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Someone who can change game plans, have better defensive styles, substitute better, create vision and flair.
Jake White?
Warren Gatland?
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Tigers27
Tiger Cub

Post by Tigers27 »

Don't think Gatland would leave Wales at the moment. Nick Mallett is free. Maybe Castro could use his influencing skills??
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Tigers27 wrote:I personally think we need to give Cockers a few games with a proper squad to pick from, however, with reflection on last season, will it be much better??

If it changes, who would we want in his place?
He had a full squad today but refused to use it...............becoming a bit of clown IMO. Too blinkered and not willing to accept that he has made terrible mistakes.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Why get rid of Cockers and throw the club into further turmoil?? How at this stage will that help?

He has had a selection nightmare from the word go this season.Now are international tribe has returned they will settle the ship.

Start shouting for Cockers head in 6 months time if things are still the same not 7 matches in!!
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Tigers27 wrote:Don't think Gatland would leave Wales at the moment. Nick Mallett is free. Maybe Castro could use his influencing skills??
Mallett game plans are a bit narrow and predictable ie in the Meyer style!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

kpbates wrote:Why get rid of Cockers and throw the club into further turmoil?? How at this stage will that help?

He has had a selection nightmare from the word go this season.Now are international tribe has returned they will settle the ship.

Start shouting for Cockers head in 6 months time if things are still the same not 7 matches in!!
Change when relegation beckons, Amlin Cup beckons, attendances are down, fans not renewing for the following season................... :smt018 :smt018
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Cockerill seems bereft and clueless. He is incapable of evolving our plays,defence and tactics. He is an MJ clone, stuck in a time warp insistent in playing old style bash them up front and pray for something to happen in the backs. Well guess what the game what has significantly moved on and we have not. Tigers are utterly predictable and our opponents have our number. We need someone with vision and a pulse firmly on the modern game and quickly.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

jgriffin wrote:Still doesn't get rid of the rubbish backs and defence coaching......
Clear them all out..................... :smt023
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

First of all I would suggest there is little point changing anything mid-season, I would agree with what Cockers bullishly said in his pre-match interview with Sky; "we'll see whose right in May". If Cockers has actually got this season's strategy right and we do well, which we could do, then clearly he will have earnt the right to carry on, the issues can be sorted out and the calibre of player available to him mean that he can have very few excuses if the issues are not ironed out. However if things continue to go as badly as they have been then at the end of this season there should be a parting of the ways not just with Cockers but with O' Connor too, they act in tandem.

Replacing the pair would be difficult there is always a temptation to go for a big name coach such as Loffreda or Meyer but Tiger's have always done better with a "Tiger" in charge e.g. Richards, Howard and to some extent Cockerill himself. Other than Pat Howard there are no obvious internalish candidates, Johnson and Wells IMO would be very similar to Cockers and we would need a breath of fresh air if this season were to be deemed a failure. Clearly the board would not turn to either Neil Back or Richards to fill the gap. I would not mind seeing Geordan Murphy as backs coach, as the appointment of Howard is unlikely due to his new position with Aussie Cricket. I do think that Nick Mallet could do a good job as DOR. I would also appoint a defence coach such as Dave Ellis or Phil Gustard. There are lots of possibilities but I do think that Cockers should be given until May and if the season fails he and O' Connor should go. Clearly the board will decide if the season is a failure and unless we win a the prem or Heiny I think Cockers will go, for the same reasons Loffreda did, even though Tigers reached two finals in 07/08 the level of performance over the season was poor and there were clearly coaching issues. But given a full squad to pick from and a few new coaching iniatives we could well be looking on this time in May wondering what all the fuss was about.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

WiggoTiger wrote:
kpbates wrote:Why get rid of Cockers and throw the club into further turmoil?? How at this stage will that help?

Change when relegation beckons, Amlin Cup beckons, attendances are down, fans not renewing for the following season................... :smt018 :smt018
You seriously think it will get to that point? I don't.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.