Hard luck Wales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Hard luck Wales

Post by crateman »

While I never wanted them to win, I have to say that the best side lost today. France never looked interested, and Wales adapted well in the 2nd half.

Commiserations, and we all now look forwards to the 6 nations with renewed interest.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: Hard luck Wales

Post by BJ. »

Knockout rugby started last weekend. The object is to score at least one point more than the opposition. There is no law that stipulates it has to be attractive or that teams has to go balls-out all the time. France did enough to win today without expending valuable reserves of energy. Wales missed out on 11 points due to missed kicks: they've only themselves to blame for that.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Did Stephen Jones bottle out of going for a drop at the end? They seemed to have numerous phases where they could have got him into position, but he didn't appear to fancy it at any point.
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

BJ. wrote:Knockout rugby started last weekend. The object is to score at least one point more than the opposition. There is no law that stipulates it has to be attractive or that teams has to go balls-out all the time. France did enough to win today without expending valuable reserves of energy. Wales missed out on 11 points due to missed kicks: they've only themselves to blame for that.
This
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by crateman »

BJ. wrote:Knockout rugby started last weekend. The object is to score at least one point more than the opposition. There is no law that stipulates it has to be attractive or that teams has to go balls-out all the time. France did enough to win today without expending valuable reserves of energy. Wales missed out on 11 points due to missed kicks: they've only themselves to blame for that.
While this is undoubtedly true, just trying to be gracious.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Can Wales get 3rd?

Can the NH, in the guise of France, beat the SH (I don't care who!)?

NH needs to demonstrate that the SH cannot always call the tune.
Valhalla I am coming!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I keep going back to JW drop......T-Cup. Thinking clearly under pressure. Wales had the heart, the skill and the stamina but it would appear that six inches between the ears was lacking when it mattered. They needed three poins at the end...so make that your goal and go get them.

........I wonder just how many times that drive that England made was practiced to the point that even when it went slightly wrong the right thing to do was to build again and set up a better position.

Wales didn't seen to know how to set the cahnce up at the end. Tense......but a little frustrating.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

i dont think they were close enough to get the drop goal at the end. france did everything right by only commiting the tackler to the ruck so it meant the line was ready to charge down the attempt and forcing jones further back than normal.

thought the french played very intelligent rugby today, although it was the least attractive 40 mins that ive seen for a while i think!
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Cardiff Tig wrote:i dont think they were close enough to get the drop goal at the end. france did everything right by only commiting the tackler to the ruck so it meant the line was ready to charge down the attempt and forcing jones further back than normal.

thought the french played very intelligent rugby today, although it was the least attractive 40 mins that ive seen for a while i think!
I don't think they were close enough at the very end, but they were with about 6 minutes to go when they were inside the 22m
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

very true! what is it with the welsh and drop goals this tournament!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Missing at least 11 points cost Wales dear, need to score your bread and butter kicks at the post. Hook IMO missed 2 sitters in the first half!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Tigers27
Tiger Cub

Post by Tigers27 »

B.J pathetic post! Wales adjusted well, and were unlucky to not get the win. Its about time we back those other than England when they deserve it, and Wales deserved it today
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Tigers27 wrote:B.J pathetic post! Wales adjusted well, and were unlucky to not get the win. Its about time we back those other than England when they deserve it, and Wales deserved it today
Tigers 27, quite simply wake up and smell the coffee.

The French had their chances as did the Welsh. The French took theirs whereas the Welsh didn't. No doubt the Welsh will claim a moral victory and Max Boyce will write a song about it.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Tigers27
Tiger Cub

Post by Tigers27 »

BJ. wrote:
Tigers27 wrote:B.J pathetic post! Wales adjusted well, and were unlucky to not get the win. Its about time we back those other than England when they deserve it, and Wales deserved it today
Tigers 27, quite simply wake up and smell the coffee.

The French had their chances as did the Welsh. The French took theirs whereas the Welsh didn't. No doubt the Welsh will claim a moral victory and Max Boyce will write a song about it.
Unfortunately for you BJ you just sound like a lost England fan who can't accept Wales deserved better.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Sorry Tig27, but BJ is right. Wales may have deserved to win, but they were unable to take their kicks & make their possession count.

Jones was brought on for his kicking/drop goal ability & was not up to the job on the day.

France did what they needed to do to win & Parra's kicking off the tee was the difference.