Alain Rolland - Warburton decision

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chunter
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: ...and that'll be the last we see of Alain Rolland too.

Post by Chunter »

It looks though either Rolland or Joubert will referee the final (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/ar ... d=10758137)
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Last night, I was listening to radio 4 on the way home and they had a piece on Sam Warburton's school, with interviews with pupils and his old PE teacher. Can you imagine what his teacher would be saying now?

How about " Sam, you let your team down, you let your country down, but most of all (altogether now) you let yourself down - it's just a shame you didn't let that frenchman down!"
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Chunter
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Chunter »

@loretta

Exactly.

I saw a headline just now (can't remember where) along the lines of 'Warren Gatland says Wales were let down by the referee'!
dontlookdown

Post by dontlookdown »

Chunter wrote: I saw a headline just now (can't remember where) along the lines of 'Warren Gatland says Wales were let down by the referee'!
http://www1.skysports.com/rugbyworldcup ... 57/7242596
7 years so far..
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

loretta wrote:Last night, I was listening to radio 4 on the way home and they had a piece on Sam Warburton's school, with interviews with pupils and his old PE teacher. Can you imagine what his teacher would be saying now?

How about " Sam, you let your team down, you let your country down, but most of all (altogether now) you let yourself down - it's just a shame you didn't let that frenchman down!"
Star quality. :lol:
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

loretta wrote:Last night, I was listening to radio 4 on the way home and they had a piece on Sam Warburton's school, with interviews with pupils and his old PE teacher. Can you imagine what his teacher would be saying now?

:smt023
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Chunter
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Chunter »

Some interesting quotes from yesterday's edition of The Score (http://www.thescore.ie/ref-report-card- ... 1-Oct2011/):
Here’s one for you stats nerds. Rolland is the only referee yet to produce either a yellow or a red card at this year’s World Cup.
With the tournament now down to the final four, will he be tempted to take a stricter line on Saturday?
Rolland’s four matches have been largely free of controversy, which is almost certainly part of the reason for his appointment on Saturday.
Nuttytiger

Post by Nuttytiger »

Have to say that I'm a bit surprised by the support for Mr Rolland on this thread. In my opinion he took the decision too quickly without any consultation. This was 15 mins into a world cup semi final and whichever way you look at it, it was a big call.

I can understand why he did it but I disagree with him. There didn't seem to me to be any intent and therefore, a yellow would suffice. The law gives him the option to issue the red card but doesn't instruct him to do so.

The real problem was then that he appeared to have sympathy for Wales and tried to even things up. The penalty that lead to Halfpenny's missed kick was equally shocking. How a player can lay on the ground exposed, hold on to the ball, take it back in when a Frenchman tries to pick it up, then continues to hold on when another has a go, without a penalty for holding on is quite beyond me.

Whilst I think he got the initial decision wrong, two (or more) wrongs don't make a right.

Just saying.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

why did he need to consult with anyone? he was about 5 yards away from the incident!

the halfpenny incident could of gone either way - the french guy came in from the side and the welsh guy held onto the ball on the ground so rolland was right by punishing the french guy for commiting the first offence. if the french guy had just come in from behind the back foot then it would have been fine. although personally the ball looked out to me!!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Nuttytiger wrote: I can understand why he did it but I disagree with him. There didn't seem to me to be any intent and therefore, a yellow would suffice. The law gives him the option to issue the red card but doesn't instruct him to do so.
With tackles like that whether there was intent is something the citing officer should take into account when deciding the length of ban. No it was not at the top end for those tackles but he should be well aware that as soon as you take a player off there feet it is your responsibility to ensure they remain safe. He did not do this and therefor deserved the red card.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

"This was 15 mins into a world cup semi final and whichever way you look at it, it was a big call."

I'm perplexed as to what the size of the occasion has to do with the way it is reff'ed, apart from sticking to the laws of the game, which Rolland did. Surely, we wouldn't want a ref to ignore these simply because we want a show?

What are we, antipodean?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

I can't be neutral, there. I am caught in a mix of conflicting feelings

- the team that represent my beloved country is going to the final,
- despite a very poor game, with a lack of committment and very few good things to brag about (excellent lineouts, though)
- the Welsh were fab, and scored the only try of the game (with a dummy pass by the 9 that is called the "suitcase trick" in French)
- that refereeing decision looks severe to me and scandalous to some of the French who were watching the game with me
-but, begorrah, the FRENCH WON IN THE END !

In decades of rugby I never saw the French winning with this mix of cynicism and cold resolve, and sheer luck. This is called winning the English way and the Welsh flair was no match.

Now every one knows that :
our national coach is still a despicable eejit, moustache or not
we are going to hear a different type of music from either the ABs or Australia (come on ABs, we'll never ever beat Australia)
If France show the same display next week, they'll serve as a podium to the winners of the RWC.

Ooooooh, I am lacking confidence ! :smt009
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Chesterfield Chris
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Chesterfield Chris »

It is clear that it was a dangerous tackle and by the law quoted a red card was an option. He took that option so how can he be wrong?????
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

At first I thought it was harsh, but more and more I'm leaning towards it being the correct decision.

Re-read Chunter's link for the instructions to referees (which were re-emphasised before this tournament)