1 Matt Stevens
2 Steve Thompson
3 Dan Cole
4 Louis Deacon
5 Tom Palmer
6 Tom Croft
7 Lewis Moody
8 Nick Easter

Replacements: Dylan Hartley, Alex Corbisiero, Courtney Lawes, Simon Shaw, James Haskell, Richard Wigglesworth, Matt Banahan.

Toby Flood starts at 12. I suppose if France can play two scrum-halves at 9 & 10 there's no reason England can't play two fly-halves at 10 & 12. Six Tigers are starting - shame Thomas couldn't make it the Magnificent Seven.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: England v France - team's up

Post by G.K »

Wilkinson and Flood together is the combination I'd always wanted to see. Wonder who will do the kicking though? Has MJ finally woken up to the fact that Hoppy is a waste of a shirt? Also interesting that the bench is a 5/2 split.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

But shouldn't Flood be 10?
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

The best team England could field. Minus Haskell, whom I would have fielded from the start.
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Apart from I'd start with Corbs and have Stevens on the bench.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Ads677 wrote:But shouldn't Flood be 10?
I presume they will interchange a fair bit
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Ads677 wrote:But shouldn't Flood be 10?
Hopefully we will see Flood at 10 during attack with Wilko slotting in during defense. I think this combination will see a change in our game plan, previously manu hasnt been used as much as some would like but with nobody at 12 to bash it up he should become our go to man and it means we have a 12 who can distribute the ball to the wings as well.
BBTOD
Tiger Cub

Post by BBTOD »

Almost the best team England could field....this could mean real fireworks!
Agreed. During the warm up games I was hoping Jonno would try this 1, 12, 13 combo. I think his hand has been forced with the Tindall injury and he (eventually) seems to have come to the same conclusion as the rest of us regarding Hape.

It's a shame Armitage's temperament has failed him again as he has been playing well and adds a bit more than Cueto (IMO).

We have missed Sheridan and I would have started with Alex Corbisiero. I thought he did well in the 6 nations and made an impact against Scotland. Stevens gives too many penalties away in the scrummage and I expect Mas to give him a hard time.

The Easter selection is a brave one as Haskell has been playing ok. I thought Easter made a huge difference when he came on against Scotland. He gave us a platform that we were struggling to set for the first 50 minutes.

I also have issues with Haskell at the base of the scrummage, especially when under pressure.

Palmer has been a standout performer for England for a while now and Lawes was quiet aftre his ban.

A strong looking bench with some real potential impact in the forwards but I am concerned about the 5/2 replacements selection with Wigglesworth and Bannahan to cover across the backs. I am assuming Wigglesworth is there to cover SH/FH with Bannahan covering centre/wing and Cueto covering 15?!?

For me neither of these are international class and I just hope we dont see an early injury to an English back.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Is anyone else really annoyed that Waldrom is still in the England camp but will probably not play at all now that Easter (and Haskell) is now fit yet we will now miss him for well over a month! Unless there is an injury to Easter or Haskell, he won't get a game.

I am pleased for him that he has experienced being part of the England RWC camp, but it really has cost us, on top of the price we were already paying. And now that he has been permanently added to the squad (as a replacement for Andrew Sheridan!!!!), he will go the full course.
Always a Tiger
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

Personally I feel far more sorry for poor Joe Simpson who has been out there since the start and has played all of 13 minutes.
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Can anybody explain why Lewis is in the team ? He carries no ball, makes no decent yards and we have been battered at the breakdown. So what exactly is he bringing ? he cant even chase kick offs or charge downs like he used to because of his injury.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

I think if this team is given a chance to play to its potential it could well be a very positive selection. However if they play a strict structured game then they will struggle to beat the French. The French will always raise there game against the English, if Wilko & Flood interchange and play what is in front of them then this could be the team to progress through the tournament.

There are alot of if and buts in this statement which is a sad state to be in at this stage of a WC.

Ps - Would give Corbiserio a start, he has been impressive so far.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

tig1 wrote:Can anybody explain why Lewis is in the team ? He carries no ball, makes no decent yards and we have been battered at the breakdown. So what exactly is he bringing ? he cant even chase kick offs or charge downs like he used to because of his injury.
Because despite being not at his best (but getting better each match) he's the best we have available at 7 and he will boldy go where others will not.