Ben Youngs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kingol22
Super User
Super User

Ben Youngs

Post by kingol22 »

He was poor today and that crabbing is creeping into his game more and more. Why do the england coaches seem to do this to every scrum half they get?
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben Youngs

Post by Darc Tiger »

It's a worrying trend... Hopefully Flood will be able to bring out his natural game against France.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

He's not only crabbing but he needs to take an obvious swing-back before swinging the ball out .
However, given that the French are now in as much disarray as their round ball team at the last round ball WC, we probably don't need to worry too much.....
.....until he comes back to Welfroad
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

How do you know it's the England coaches who are making Ben Youngs crabbing before he passes, he also takes forever to get the ball away a bit like Grindal really,he could be making the decision himself to play like that. When Wigglesworth came on there wasn't a problem so I would think the way Youngs is playing at the moment is more down to him rather than the England coaching.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

g wrote:How do you know it's the England coaches who are making Ben Youngs crabbing before he passes, he also takes forever to get the ball away a bit like Grindal really,he could be making the decision himself to play like that. When Wigglesworth came on there wasn't a problem so I would think the way Youngs is playing at the moment is more down to him rather than the England coaching.
I don't recall him doing it for Tigers before he became an England regular.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

g wrote:How do you know it's the England coaches who are making Ben Youngs crabbing before he passes, he also takes forever to get the ball away a bit like Grindal really,he could be making the decision himself to play like that. When Wigglesworth came on there wasn't a problem so I would think the way Youngs is playing at the moment is more down to him rather than the England coaching.
Wigglesworth has not had that much time with the england coaches. It is a trend that seems to go through most england 9s the one thing they have in common is the english coaches.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I suppose we have to hope that Ben hasn`t got a dose of crabs :smt030
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Have to say there is a trend here - when the pack struggles, so does Ben. Better 9's would deal with the problem.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Since his injury he seems to have lost his speed and youthful arrogance and seems no where near his best. I hope it's reversible.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
leic

Post by leic »

Maybe its Johnny Wilkinson? Dont think they click at all.
Hoping next game Floody starts at 10, and will be interesting to see how Ben does then.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

It is Wilkinson causing the problems, he stands too deep and it means there is never someone running onto to the ball to take the ball flat. Wilko also poses no running threat and so the defence can effectively ignore him.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Commenting after the game (I think it was Fitz) was indicating
Ben was playing to the game plan and hoped he would be allowed
to play his natural "sniping" game next time.
As the sub played a different game when he came on, it is
hardly beyond the imagination that that was the plan.
What was obvious was Toby's vision in getting the long pass in.
The sweaties have always seemed to play a spoiling game and
clearly tried to nullify BY and MT by close marking.
Video analysis is a pain of the modern game but it's not going to go away.
A life long Tiger
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

From Dean Ryan

"This also has an impact on Ben Youngs's game at scrum-half. A running No9 such as Youngs needs to have his fly-half standing flat because if the opposition pick him up he has his No10 to pass to. But when Youngs makes five yards on a run he is then five more yards ahead of Wilkinson, who was already standing deep behind him. If the fly-half is up flat, as Flood likes to be, then the defence is kept occupied by them both and the scrum-half has an option to pass. This was perfectly illustrated by the try, when Flood stood very close to the gain line and flung out a long pass to Ashton on the wing. Wilkinson would never have been so close to his scrum-half."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... nd-tactics
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

I totally agree with Dean Ryan. Johnson's conservatism will be the death of us against France.

He'll stick with Wilkinson and stifle Ben Youngs natural style, until we are losing the game against France, and then bring Toby on to try and turn it round, rather than having him on from the start.

As Dean Ryan quite rightly points out, had Scotland not had to get an 8-point lead we would have been booted back into our own half by Dan Parks at every opportunity and would now be on the plane back to blighty.

It's knockout rugby from now on and England need to start playing a little more adventurously.

Give France too much of a lead next week and the boot of the likes of Damien Traille, Cedric Heymans and Maxime Medard will keep us pinned back in our own 22, and that will be it!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Tigerbob wrote:I totally agree with Dean Ryan. Johnson's conservatism will be the death of us against France.
He may not be given a choice at 10. Wilko picked up a knock which could keep him out of the QF. Hopefully it wont be serious but we will be in trouble if it is as that will leave Flood as the only 10.