Dave Alred and England fitness coach suspended.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

g
Super User
Super User

Dave Alred and England fitness coach suspended.

Post by g »

For illegally switching balls during Englands match against Romania.
They will not be allowed in or around the stadium for saturdays match against Scotland.

Story from sky sports.
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Dave Alred and England fitness coach suspended.

Post by maskedsquid »

Why wasn't Wilkinson similarly punished as he was also part of the 'deception' wasn't he?
It's only cheating if you get caught.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Would Wilkinson have actually known what was happening off the pitch? I'm not so sure, he would have been too engrossed with what was happening on the pitch surely.
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

There was a quote after the match regrading the incident, which said something like 'Jonny didn't think the ball was perfect', which I took to mean that he was well aware he was kicking a 'better' ball when it came to conversions.
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

maskedsquid wrote:There was a quote after the match regrading the incident, which said something like 'Jonny didn't think the ball was perfect', which I took to mean that he was well aware he was kicking a 'better' ball when it came to conversions.
just found said quote on BBC: England boss Johnson explained at the time that Wilkinson thought "one of the balls was slightly less than perfect so he wanted to swap it".
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

maskedsquid wrote:Johnson explained at the time that Wilkinson thought "one of the balls was slightly less than perfect so he wanted to swap it".
- Twice !

The rules say you cannot swap the ball for the conversion unless it is defective, or some such phrase.

Watching Jonny kick in this WC, I think he feels that they are ALL defective !!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Seems a bit pathetic. Firstly this is just something wilko does i doubt it makes one bit of difference so why create a rule to stop it. Secondly they were asked to stop at half time and did, this suggests to me that they were unaware of the rule and stayed true to the rules once informed so whats the problem.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

maskedsquid wrote:There was a quote after the match regrading the incident, which said something like 'Jonny didn't think the ball was perfect', which I took to mean that he was well aware he was kicking a 'better' ball when it came to conversions.
What was the incident graded at before they changed it? :smt016
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Kingol22, they are international coaches and should know the rule-book. The reason the rule is there is so that the kicker has to use the match ball, (the one which was used to score the try), rather than their "special" ball, the one they always practise with, and which may not even be a match ball.

Jonny obviously had a preference, a ball that was probably his favourite following the warm up, and which was kept by the coaches, ready to bring on to the pitch when required. This is cheating - like it or not - maybe not the most serious, but bearing in mind his poor kicking in previous matches, it could well be something that could make a difference between winning and losing a close match. The rules are there to ensure fairness, and there seems to be little doubt that Jonny knew of the deception.

Well done to the ref for spotting the infringement!

Would you be happy if Paterson slotted the winner with an "illegal" ball?
Valhalla I am coming!
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I believe that this is an example of too many "water boys" on the pitch. I think that having loads of technicians and coaches pitchside and on the pitch is against the spirit of the game. One and one only should be the rule in the dugout/on the subs bench.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

fleabane wrote:
Would you be happy if Paterson slotted the winner with an "illegal" ball?
I wouldnt say happy but i would not consider it cheating. Their is a set number of match balls and gilbert should have high enough standards to make sure they are all the same. As long as it is a match ball i dont see the problem, in my view it is a stupid rule.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

fleabane wrote:Kingol22, they are international coaches and should know the rule-book. The reason the rule is there is so that the kicker has to use the match ball, (the one which was used to score the try), rather than their "special" ball, the one they always practise with, and which may not even be a match ball.
It was a match ball, though. There are several of them in use during a game, and it's not that unknown for a kicker to take a conversion with a different ball - either because the ball used in the act of scoring has ended up in the crowd or because it's possibly been damaged or just because it feels defective in some way. The key is that whilst it's not illegal to use a different ball, it IS illegal to do it without asking the ref's permission first. That is where England broke the rules, and that's why two coaches have been suspended.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The whole thing seems a bit pointless to me.

I think I'm correct in understanding that the rules allow a different ball to be used if the ball is defective.

If the ball wasn't defective, England gained no advantage from switching it.

If the ball was defective, then they should be allowed to switch it.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Asked whether the situation had been an embarrassment for England, Johnson said: "Paul and David did what they did in the heat and confusion of a Test.

"We should have asked the referee (if they could switch balls), we didn't. They asked us to stop, we did.

"I don't suspend guys lightly. We regret what we did and it was wrong.

"In the heat of a World Cup match these guys have made a mistake and they have paid for it."

Alred and Stridgeon were found to have switched the ball Wilkinson was due to kick with on a number of occasions without requesting permission from referee Romain Poite, breaching the laws of the game.

"They made a mistake. They should have asked the referee. Whether they knew or not at that time, I am not too sure," said Johnson.

This latest brush with authority comes after an eventful World Cup campaign for England, who were reprimanded by tournament officials when their shirt numbers peeled off in the game against Argentina.

Johnson then had to face down criticism over his players' conduct on a drunken night out in Queenstown bar hosting a dwarf-racing competition.

Mike Tindall also found himself at the centre of a media storm after being captured on CCTV at the Altitude Bar in conversation with a woman.

England also became the first team have a player suspended, after Courtney Lawes was found guilty of striking Argentina hooker Mario Ledesma with his knee.

"If you come to a World Cup there will be bumps in the road. We have dealt with those things, we have dealt with this and we move on," said Johnson.

The above from The Telegraph, 30 Sept 2011

England not exactly covering themselves in glory, which even Johno seems to acknowledge! It is little wonder that they are not liked by so many other countries, almost all of which have managed to avoid, or have just better managed, the pitfalls.

I look forward to having the Tigers players back, uninjured, fit, and ready to get us out of our present scrape. Next week!
Valhalla I am coming!