The Tackle

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Tackle

Post by Sherpa2 »

I have been thinking about the way we have started to miss or fall off tackles and I wonder if it is because, while the technique for making a good tackle hasn't changed, what you have to do afterward to avoid giving away a penalty has.

Could this mean that instead of it being the intuitive action it once was, players now pause for a split second to consider their actions post tackle, and this tiny delay is enough to impact the effectiveness of the tackle itself.

Of course all teams will be affected by this but maybe Tigers, with their mix of young guns trying to make a name for themselves and old heads trying to lead the way with keeping the penalty count down, have suffered more than most?

As I say just a thought but I would be interested in other peoples take on it.
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Re: The Tackle

Post by Kinoulton »

Certainly I think the decisions given in the ruck that follows a tackle at the breakdown are causing confusion.

I've seen tackled players pinged for not releasing the ball, yet when all the fatties start heaving themselves off the floor, you can clearly see that the tackled player had his arms wrapped.

Similarly, you can see that when a player is tackled, quite often his team mates belly-flop on top of the two protagonists, hence the tackler has little or no chance of releasing and rolling away.

I think if referees want to clamp down on the tackler and the tackled, then they need to be very strict with those arriving at the breakdown who must stay on their feet and not smother everyone.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Not to mention the fact that if you let go too soon the Ref shouts 'not held' so you can't win!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Alternatively, the tackled player could hold onto the ball and play it back to a team-mate until, say, 6 such tackles have occurred and then the other team could be given the same chances, etc. Should make it all so much more entertaining :smt002
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

The Tackle? It's a mythical creature, isn't it?
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

ever since the messed with the orginal perfectly good law it has been a mess

the orginal law - as soon as a player is tackled both talked player and talcker mut release the ball immediatly
there is no abiguity in this
now all of the above happens - and the worst of all - tackler makes the tackle and relaese and the devil gets up and runs off - next time he holds on to him he is pinged for not releasing - ablsolute nonsense

I am back onto mt old theme - bring back every law of the game as it was in 1970 and it will be a better game by far.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I think also that the current interpretation of the laws make it far too tempting for the side in possession to keep taking the contact and recycling the ball, rather than doing any running and passing.

If players are big enough and good enough (most of them are) they are perfectly capable of running deliberately into a tackle, falling the right way so that they can present the ball neatly back to their teammates, and repeat as above ad infinitum with very little chance of a turnover.

This is fine, but what's the point of having these endless rucks if one side is just making up the numbers and has no realistic chance of getting at the egg?
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I think if memory serves me correctly that law was already changed by 1970 but I do agree with you on that, I would not like to see that.

I have to agree with Kinoulton about the continuous recyle without allowing anyone to compete - it is dull in the extreme - it is like a worse form of Rugby league - at least in that game the other folk get a crack at it after 6 goes!