Why do you support the tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tonka toy

Why do you support the tigers

Post by tonka toy »

This question was asked me yesterday at the time i.gave some trite answer about them being the best side etc etc but oon.reflection I find it difficult .to answer having played for most of the last 35 years my visits to WR have been restricted to periods of injury midweek games or sunday matches but the last few years as playing took more of a back seat i have found myself at the games more often and i think what draws me in is the Passion commitment and refusal to accept second best which I strived for whilst playing but very rarely achieved it would be interesting to find out others opinions
Rizzo

Re: Why do you support the tigers

Post by Rizzo »

Because they are my local club, because my husband introduced me to supporting them 25+ years ago and I got the bug and because I believe they were, are and always will be a great club with great players. Win or lose, they will always be the club I support.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It's a strange fact of life. You change your partner, your job, where you live, your hobbies...

But you never change your teams.

Due to the place that provides my moniker, I ended up with Nottingham Forest as my football team and Leicester Tigers as my rugby team.

And of course all depends on what happens as an 8 year old when some uncle or friend's dad takes you to your first game. I ended up at The City Ground and Welford Road.

Had things been different, I may have ended up as a life long supporter of Notts RFC and Notts County.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Because Chalkie White said if I didn't I'd have to do extra PE and CCF drill.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Cos when I was a snot nosed kid playing for Warley Wasps in 1980 my coach wrote to Tigers asking for some help in motivating and training kids. Within a month Dusty Hare turned up with some academy lads and gave us the uplift of a lifetime. To bother schlepping sixty miles across Brum to visit a bunch of no hopers in a soccer town was quite brilliant.

I became a Tigers fan that day, and remain so to this.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Brought up in Melton Mowbray, they were my local club. As people have said, things change so having lived in Bucks, Berks, USA, Singapore and now Cambridge, they are still my local club. I havn't attended every home game in that time, but since returning from the far east, I have attended every single home (and many away) game.

Simply put, once a Tiger, always a Tiger. Many things can change in your life, but you can't change your club.
Always a Tiger
Stupid

Post by Stupid »

I suppose because they were my local team. I started supporting in the early 90s, but more in terms of following the results at that time (I had my own matches most Saturdays so rarely got to Welford). As injuries took their toll I played less and went to Welford Road more often. Dropped off more recently as I now have a couple of lovely daughters, and don't feel it will be the same until I can bring them with me (hence signing up on here as a substitute for the usual banter on the train to/from matches)!

It's also quite nice seeing some of the players going from age group rugby and progressing to Tigers/England. I remember seeing younger versions of Moody and Croft about, I'm pretty sure that Sean Lamont was at Melton as well (naughty boy... Scotland fair enough, but Saints?! :smt018 appauling decision from a tigers local)

I have of course started indoctrinating my girls, playing garden rugby, and occasionally resisting their protests and putting rugby on the TV (rather than CBeebies). In a few years time they will be Tigers fans becuase their old man was and insisted on taking them to every game as soon as they were old enough.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

My dad took me to Welford road from the age of 6.We then moved to West Hartlepool when i was 12.I tried to follow West but could never get into it really,and always followed Tigers as much as i could but it was very hard as we never had connection to the Internet,so i had to rely on family back home to keep me up to date with all things Tigers.Now living in Great Yarmouth we try to get to as many Home premiership matches as we can.I would never support any other team,my wife and kids say tigers is an obsession of mine!!But despite the problems at the min it is still worth the 3 hour drive to Welford road. :smt023
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

I met my future wife in Devon, she was from near Market Harborough. In the early 70's when I was in Leicestershire I used to go to City!!!! Then father in law, who was friends with both the Tigers chairman and club doctor, said go to Tigers, so I did on a Wed night. It was good and I was hooked. Now 4 hours away the week is ruined if Tigers lose but this year I'm almost getting used to it! :smt013 :smt039
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

Kinoulton hits the nail on the head - once you start supporting a team then you don't change. The magic word is "loyalty", and - if you are like me - you always feel guilty and a traitor if you even think about the possibility of changing your allegience.

I was born and bred in Wolverhampton and in terms of football and speedway I am a total Wolves nut! (Good to see that Kitchener shares the former curse). But it will be appreciated that there are/ were no decent Rugby Union teams near to home.

I moved to Leicester in the 1970s with my job, and once you live in Leicester you cannot ignore the Tigers, can you? So I went to a few matches including the Twickenham final against Gloucester which we lost 6 - 3 (Oh for the high scoring matches of old! :smt002 ).

Even though I left Leicester for Merseyside in 1979 (where I have lived ever since), I have always supported Tigers. I admit that being able to watch them on Sky Sports was a major help to me, given how difficult it is to get down to Welford Road with competing demands on my time (i.e. Family!) [Now they were another super Leicester institution - Roger Chapman is GREAT!). :smt001

I ensure my link to the club as a member, and try and get to support them whenever I can. The amusing thing is that because I always buy tickets for the Sale away match (and go along with my friend who supports Sale) the Sharks are convinced that I am a Sale supporter! :smt005

At the tender age of 60 I can assure everyone that I will not be changing my support from the greatest Rugby Union club in the land! :smt003
Neil Back is the Greatest!
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

My PE teacher was a Tigers winger Dickie Bird & although we didn't play much rugby at school he got me interested in it. Really started watching Tigers after some Barbarian games after standing on mound end & still standing now!!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It's very important to indoctrinate kids early.

Stuff religion and politics and all that irrelevancy.

My kids, my stepkids, my new wife, and even my nephews were down at the City Ground and Welford Road on alternate Saturdays before they knew what hit 'em.

By the time Christmas and Birthdays arrived, various relatives had bombarded them with shirts and other paraphanalia (Spelling?) and they were hooked.

If ever one of them was seen wearing a Man U shirt I would kill myself. Or them.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Living in exile
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Living in exile »

1 Chalky White was a top bloke when he was my PE teacher. I liked his attitude to sport and life, and identified with it. I was a useless rugby player but because I was a rower he taught me how to lift weights etc. (Old Hob - I liked training and I liked assault courses etc).
2 I used to see Dusty Hare around and about Newark and Melton markets - he was down to earth and approachable; one of us. :smt023
Eon

Post by Eon »

Good question.

I reached a time of life when I was no longer entertaining myself, and unable to do sport, so I thought I'd try something different.

Being in Leicester, Tigers were one of the options, and one in which I fell very rapidly in love.

I like the ground and it's easy going atmosphere, the friendliness of people, and I liked the game. A lot. It brought back my own playing days.

Now it's a sort of soap opera, watching the youngsters come on, achieve or move on.

Can't think of a better thing to do on a Saturday with my children.

It's a bonus that we are a good and sometimes great side, but I think I might be nearly as happy elsewhere. But only nearly. There's no place like home.