Parling returns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Parling returns

Post by Crumby »

According to radio Leicester will be involved this week against the Barf :smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Parling returns

Post by Crumblies »

If confirmed that's fantastic news well done Geoff and great to have you back.

Remember folks he has hardly played any competitive rugby for over 12 months, let's set our expectations accordingly.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

No pressure, just tighten up the defense and keep scoring the tries, easy peasy Geoff :smt002 (Good to see you playing again!)
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

That is excellent news, hope he gets 10-20 mins off of the bench to stretch his legs and steal a lineout. We've missed him at the set piece, although, I have been very impressed with just how much Ed Slater has come on from last season. Against the Flacons he was excellent and against Sarries he was tireless in an understated almost Louis Deacon way, well a more mobile Louis Deacon. If he can continue to develop and Parling can get back to peak form a combo of Slater and Parling would be a blessing for the periods when Deacon is away with England.
Mo Leicester

Post by Mo Leicester »

How is Skivinton doing?

If he is available, I would start him and Kitchener with Slater in the back row. Give Parling 20 mins off the bench. Mafi has missed far too many tackles.

Great to see Geoff - The Salmon - back!
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Mo Leicester wrote:How is Skivinton doing?

If he is available, I would start him and Kitchener with Slater in the back row. Give Parling 20 mins off the bench. Mafi has missed far too many tackles.

Great to see Geoff - The Salmon - back!
I agree, it's great to see Geoff back but Mafi hasn't looked as good as last season, he did set high standards though and he was one of many who missed tackles on Saturday. Good luck to Geoff on his return :smt023 :smt023
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

To be fair to Mafi - he's a very inexperienced player who is adjusting to bulking up - looking more of a second row in the Deacon mould than a back row.

Perhaps Mafi's bulked up too much and lost some agility.

Either way it's good to see Parling back hopefully because he's fully fit and raring to go rather than because we are rushing him because of others' absence.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Mafi seems to want to hang about on the wing a lot. Hence the nick name Steve Murphy, I guess.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bertos

Post by Bertos »

Mo Leicester wrote:How is Skivinton doing?
I read in the Merc that he will most likely miss the Barf game.

Great news about Geoff, fantastic to have a player of his quality back in the match day squad :smt023
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

"Allen has an issue with his AC joint (shoulder) which isn't too serious but will probably keep him out this weekend," said Cockerill.

(Also put on the Tigers v Bath thread, from Cockerill interview):

"Skivington is still struggling after a bang on the head he got at Newcastle.

"But Julian Salvi is fine. He was just winded after being hit late off the ball. And Mathew Tait should be fine. He was struggling lungs-wise because he wasn't expecting to be playing for 65 minutes in a demanding position like centre.

"It's a hard position to play with the lack of activity he has had in the last few weeks."

Cockerill said that Geoff Parling will be involved too.

The 27-year-old lock returns after missing all but two minutes of last season following a neck injury which was followed by a serious knee injury just two minutes into his return against Harlequins.
Valhalla I am coming!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

What impressed me more about Parling than his own ability,was his leadership,he was very vocal round the mauls in particular,gave direction and seemed to get the best out of those around him.Rare quality,hope he still has it,we need it badly.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Tait didn't look like he wanted to know when the going got tough

I will take some convincing that he will ever be Tigers material

However I am prepared to be convinced - I was as sceptical about AA when he first came and was pleasantly surprised

It will be good for the long term to have Geoff back but I will not expect too much in the first couple of weeks
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

Old Hob wrote:Mafi seems to want to hang about on the wing a lot. Hence the nick name Steve Murphy, I guess.
I heard that particular nickname came as a result of some of the nifty skills Mafi has shown in training.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

Very excited to see Parling back in the mix. We've missed his particular brand of locking since the prem final! A bit more grunt 'n' front and we should be back in the driving seat.
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

Seeing as Cockers has been quoted as saying Parling would be back by mid-September, I would hope that he's is fully recuperated now, and we can expext to have him up and running quickly. We've certainly missed him!

Good luck Geoff - I hope you get longer than 2 minutes this weekend! :smt002 :smt023