Ground Control to Mr Tom

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loyalsupport

Ground Control to Mr Tom

Post by loyalsupport »

Can you hear ........there is something wrong.
Are The Leicester Tigers Board taking 24000 people for fools?
I am an unhappy Season Ticket Holder. Didn’t the Board know that the World Cup was scheduled for September 2011? Can I have my money back please, Mr. Tom?

Tigers are heading for mediocrity. I think the Board have lost sight of the fact that they need their loyal Supporters . Otherwise, why treat them so badly ? With so many International players in the team , due to the World Cup and the Six Nations , Tigers will be woefully understrength for three quarters of the 2011/12 Premiership programme.

This coupled with regularly playing the reserves in the LV Cup - another slap in the face for loyal fans - makes a Tigers Season ticket a big waste of money.

Many fans care deeply about the club and want it to be successful. The way the team is constructed at the moment, we will be lucky to make Heineken Cup qualification for 2012/13.

Uncompetitive with other clubs, Tigers will say goodbye to 24000 gates. Even the full strength team struggles to compete with Saracens, so no wonder we were thrashed yesterday. Is it the lure of the RFU shilling that has set Tigers' Board on this self destruct orbit?

Player recruitment strategy needs to change quickly to secure very good players who will not be called up for International duty so that a balance is struck. Yesterdays team was poor by any standards. Better still, sort out the RFU and separate the league season from Internationals.

Lets hope they don't start looking for scapegoats amongst the coaching staff.
Last edited by loyalsupport on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Ground Control to Mr Tom

Post by fentiger »

Welcome to the forum.
Excellent post. I was tempted to collar Peter Tom yesterday when I saw him outside the ground and ask exactly those questions, in the end I didn`t and now regret opportunity lost. Mind you whether I`d have got any sense is another matter!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

There is plenty of talent there. While there are positions that are under strength due to injury etc there is still enough talent to at least make an effort. Sloppy tackling (from seasoned players) was, so I hear, the main culprit that lead to Sarries pressure and an utimate stuffing. I don't consider the coaching staff as scapegoats - more the source of the problem.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Calling yourself a "loyal" supporter is farcical as evidently a poor 4 match period is enough to have you whining like a small child.

Frankly you are an embarrassment.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

I don't get to many games but just because we may not do so well this year doesn't mean I won't get up as often as I can this year or next. As for season ticket holders, you should remember why you purchased it in the first place and not think of scrapping it because we're going through a rough patch. Is this year not offset by the impressive and successful previous seasons (and more likely than not successive seasons)?

Yesterday's result was painful, as were the results against Exeter and Wasps (when are losses easy to take?). I bet each of these teams are still envious of our success and the culture of the club and, although they don't know it yet, it is to be admired by Saracens' players and supporters too because it is enduring and not built on money or expensive antics.

No club has our track record and it is to our credit that we struggle in World Cup years because we provide a constant stream of international quality players. We will be back to full strength next season and it'll be business as usual.

Rant over!
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

I have to say that whilst I respect you point of view, I cannot agree with it.

Tigers have tried to get the PRL to amend the league season, but the other clubs like the idea of playing during the WC and being able to beat Tigers 3rd team...

Cockers has recruited well over the last two years and we have an excellent squad - 7 or 8 injuries have really hurt us this year and Waldrom being called up by England is the final straw on our already depleted resources.

The best players will always get international recognition and I - for one - would rather see a Tigers side packed full of England players that a Saffas team full of journeymen in exile.

I know we knew in advance what the situation would be this year, but its rugby as a whole that has to change, not Tigers...

If the club is not top 4 and in the latter stages of the HC, then lets have this discussion again, but for now lets get behind the team & the coaches and stay positive.

I'm sure the Peter's are unhappy with our current league position, but to suggest they bow to the RFU shilling is IMO way off the mark.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think tb1 has hit the nail on the head. "Loyalty" means supporting the club even when they lose.

As for asking for a refund for your season ticket, did anyone promise you the team would win every match when you bought it? No, I thought not.

If you're that unhappy, go and support Saracens instead as they're doing quite well.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Along with perhaps Saints,we are being punished for own success,but this is not permanent,normal service will resume shortly.

Everyone who is proud to wear a tigers will be feeling the same at the moment,and i think that everyone knew what to expect during this tricky period.

The same out come would happen in any team in any sport if you were to strip 16 first choice players.

I can honestly say that as a Loyal Tigers fan i do not feel like i'm being took for a fool.

I'm frustrated by the situation we are in and frustrated that at the moment there is little we can do about it,but this will not dampen my support,through thick and thin.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

TigerCam's analysis says it all for me.

The tackling was woeful, basics poor. It matters not who is available for selection, if you don't tackle, you will lose.

"If you want to tackle, you will tackle" - Ben Kay.
After 30 minutes, 32 tackles, 8 missed. 25% failure rate.

Look at the coaching. Is it adequate? Do we need a defence coach? Are Cockerill and O'Connor up to coaching a Premiership team? Your test as a coach is how well your players do the basics - if you can't get your players doing the basics well, should you be coaching at all?

"We've seen it over the last three weeks, there's something wrong with the defence . . ." Jordan Crane

"The defence is a problem again" Jordan Crane

"This defence from Leicester is atrocious, absolutely completely unorganised, no people making hits,five people round the corner who can score tries, and the Leicester players, look at them on the nearside, walking back. Those guys have got to be breaking a gut to get to the far channel, and they're not! And that has got nothing to do if you've got players away in the World Cup or not, it's about passion and commitment, and Leicester have lacked it . . ."

"It's completely unacceptable." Austin
Valhalla I am coming!
fogba
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by fogba »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:........As for season ticket holders, you should remember why you purchased it in the first place and not think of scrapping it because we're going through a rough patch. Is this year not offset by the impressive and successful previous seasons (and more likely than not successive seasons)?

Yesterday's result was painful, as were the results against Exeter and Wasps (when are losses easy to take?). I bet each of these teams are still envious of our success and the culture of the club and, although they don't know it yet, it is to be admired by Saracens' players and supporters too because it is enduring and not built on money or expensive antics.

No club has our track record and it is to our credit that we struggle in World Cup years because we provide a constant stream of international quality players. We will be back to full strength next season and it'll be business as usual.

Rant over!
Well said, couldn't agree more.
Irish by birth, Munster by the grace of God, now living in Leicester for my sins.
paula123

Post by paula123 »

Some other views on the situation......

http://www.606v2.com/t14746-the-jefftig ... nd-grumble
Castro's no.1 fan!!!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

It doesn't take long for the 'doom and gloom' merchants to get into full swing.

Clearly our coaching staff haven't got a clue. Three finals in three year and two of them won must have been down to other hidden forces. Yes, the saffers game was very disappointing and some of the defensive positioning and tackling left much to be desired but as others have said I am happy with the way the club finds and develops new young talent and if that means we loose 12 players to the WC and another half dozen through injury resulting in a period of relative poor performance it's a price I am more than happy to pay.

A season ticket is not just for Christmas!
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

loyalsupporter did you know that the world cup was on this year? If so why did you bother to buy a ticket, we have all known for the best part of the year that we would be in a difficult position during this period. Asking for a refund because things are going badly is ridiculous.
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

jgriffin wrote:While I appreciate the rude gestures offered to the 'doom and gloom' merchants may be born out of loyalty, please do not misplace your critical faculties. There have been serious faults in Tigers play for two seasons, and those who've pointed them out have been the subject of many insults from the self-nominated 'real fans' - however they do not go away with shouting at loyal fans or STHs. Several loyal fans, some with long and sober analyses - have pointed out the poor back play, back selections and poor defensive play that have resulted in a relatively poor season and a supine defeat to Saffas in a final where once upon a time we would have wrenched their heads off.
Once the real quality players went to the WC and a couple more got injured the faults have become glaring. It is no reason to jack in support, but it is equally no reason to pretend anything much is currently well. There are some quality players still on the park, but form has gone, heads are down,tactics are pants.
I'm sorry how can u say there are serious problems when we have won 2 out the last 3 titles? Tactics can't be that bad.........

This year we've been done by a combination of injuries, world cup call ups and increased wages with no increase in salary cap. The latter being the main problem.