Ground Control to Mr Tom

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Re: Ground Control to Mr Tom

Post by Kinoulton »

I think any criticism of Cockers would be bang out of order.

Of course he will make decisions that some of us disagree with, but for heaven's sake, he's operating with a threadbare squad that he could probably have obtained for 50% of the salary cap.

Half of his budget has been spent on players that he currently can't select.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

It is 10 years since we last won the heineken Cup - the premier Club Competion in Europe , so we can hardly say we are spoilt by success at the highest level . However I wouldn't criticise Cockerill for our present situation because he does have a diificult job with RWC and injuries - I judge him more on the performance/selection/tactics when our full team is available and it is then that I begin to wonder if we are going in the right direction . 10 years is a long time and I am not at all sure if we are getting further and further away from that ultimate goal .
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I agree. On Saturday Cockers was very supportive of his players for working hard and trying hard but at times I wondered whether those wearing the shirts were aware of the expectations upon them.

Apart from a lack of leaders around the park I wonder how many players are satisfied with being a professional rugby player and enjoying its perks? Complacency kids we might call them.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Isambard wrote:I agree. On Saturday Cockers was very supportive of his players for working hard and trying hard but at times I wondered whether those wearing the shirts were aware of the expectations upon them.

Apart from a lack of leaders around the park I wonder how many players are satisfied with being a professional rugby player and enjoying its perks? Complacency kids we might call them.

Good point. And, as loyalty seems negotiable in coin of the realm for many players, what will the game be like in 5, 10 years? Like soccer where no one born in Manchester actually plays there? (OK all you soccer types, if there is a local playing don't jump up and down - it was illustrative of a principal)
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina