Is Dayglo the most impartial commentator of all

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tonka toy

Is Dayglo the most impartial commentator of all

Post by tonka toy »

I was amazed how our analyst remained so impartial over Haskells near ordinary performance during Englands heroic defeat of the mighty rumanians he only mentioned the no8 24 times at half time and a megre 36 times at full time can there be a less biased commentator anywhere
opcws

Re: Is Dayglo the most impartial commentator of all

Post by opcws »

What bothers me most is his constant insistence that Wilkinson is, and has to be, the first-choice 10. It's as if Wilkinson has the 10 shirt reserved for him, and anyone who wants to take it must be absolutely perfect all the time, otherwise we *have* to revert to Wilkinson, the eternal default option.

Worst part was Saturday, when he said Wilkinson was "a world class player", then blamed his shoddy game against Argentina on the players around him having bad games. Even by his own logic, that's ridiculous. A player who needs everyone around him to be playing well to have a decent game is not world class.

ITV's presentation of this World Cup has been lovely. I'm a sucker for nice aesthetics and think they really add a sense of grandeur to the event (which for the World Cup is, in my opinion, entirely appropriate). It's just a shame that their analysts (Dallaglio, Pienaar) and commentators (Vickery, who jumps constantly between his two superhero guises of Captain Obvious and Irrelevance Man) are letting down what is otherwise very professional and enjoyable coverage. And that's saying a lot, because I normally loathe ITV's sport coverage.

EDIT: Original post cracked me up, by the way, great stuff. Forgot to mention that after I got into a bit of a rant.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

opcws wrote: ITV's presentation of this World Cup has been lovely. I'm a sucker for nice aesthetics and think they really add a sense of grandeur to the event (which for the World Cup is, in my opinion, entirely appropriate). It's just a shame that their analysts (Dallaglio, Pienaar) and commentators (Vickery, who jumps constantly between his two superhero guises of Captain Obvious and Irrelevance Man) are letting down what is otherwise very professional and enjoyable coverage. And that's saying a lot, because I normally loathe ITV's sport coverage.
I think their presentation has been dreadful, the handling of the opening ceremony was dreadful and it hasnt improved since then. The bit on McCaw in the lead up to the france game was pathetic.
opcws

Post by opcws »

I meant mostly the aesthetic stuff - the graphics and such (might not seem like a big deal, but it does add a lot for me). Anything with people talking has ranged from sub-par to terrible.
Mo Leicester

Post by Mo Leicester »

"So Lawrence who do you think put their hands up for England today?"

"Well obviously Haskell was brilliant - absolute God of a man. Then their was Palmer and Thompson - nailed on for the first team selection. and of course Shaw made a huge difference when he came on - how can Johnno possibly leave him out?"

"And anyone else? maybe someone with no connection to Wasps? Croft for instance?"

"Yeah, he was ok I guess - but he is from Leicester you know!........

what they really nead is to give Simpson a go at scrum half......."
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

What amuses me is that when these people have to review specific facts, then the contributions of Dan Cole, Tom Croft, Ben Youngs, Manu Tuilagi and Toby Flood ring loud and clear.

But when it comes down to purely subjective rabbit, then suddenly their names are forgotten and plaudits are heaped on players from other clubs, even though no one can actually recall a defining contribution that any one of them has made.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Actuslly, I thought he'd shrunk or was just very short in one clip. I've met him and he appeared to be about 6' 3". Saw Austin doing a "to camera" piece on Saturday standing on a box. :smt042 :smt042
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

How his awfulness managed to switch channels for the RWC I don't know. Perhaps the ITV producers think that he is the only ex-rugby player who has that "magic" ingredient to be a presenter and an analyst.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

HelloHelloHello HelloHello
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Recently I have suffered the curse of the double post quite a lot.

You press "submit" and nothing seems to have happened. So naturally you press submit a couple more times and eventually the software does what it's meant to have done. Only by then you posted twice, for some reason, and you look like a :censored: head.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

and then a moderator comes along and deletes the duplicates so when you apologise for duplicate posts which are no longer there, you look even more daft.

You can thank me later.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

There's something quite entertaining about watching the great lummox bumble his way through explaining England's line up at 'the tactics board'.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

We all know how 'impartiality' is valued on this site :smt043

Also what warrants Lorenzo Bruno Nero "Lawrence" Dallaglio, OBE to be a Rugby pundit. Apart from winning 5 Championships, 3 Powergen Cups, 2 Heineken Cups, 1 Parker Pen Cup, 4 6 Nations Championships, 7's World Cup winners medal, World Cup Winners medal, 3 Lions tours and 85 International caps....What else has he done??
:smt017