Oh dear, but not unexpected.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Oh dear, but not unexpected.

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Don't want to add to the doom and gloom - but Saracens were missing 8 players on world cup duty (not sure if they have any injuries). While this wasn't a second XV from them, it wasn't their best side by a long way.

Tigers were at home and, I'm sorry, I would expect a better defensive effort than that. I think someone has commented about our defence coach - I thought we didn't have one ... and it shows.

Gutted but will keep supporting and confident of a turnaround (soon I hope).
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

The result may not have been unexpected in terms of a predictable loss, but the nature of the loss was pathetic.

Low energy levels, too few attempts to actually tackle, shapeless backline, and only half a dozen players showing enthusiasm for the game.

Players at fault, but so are coaches.

Both our defence and attack were aimless for much of the match, lacking organisation and purpose. Players running across the field, and back round behind the scrum were reminiscent of some of the poorest junior rugby.

The whole game failed to demonstrate that there was a plan A, let alone anything else. There was no noticeable leadership on the field, and too many senior players just did not show up.

Chuter and Hamilton both had mares (again).

Dreadful!
Valhalla I am coming!
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

At least we are still one place above Saints :smt023

9)Tigers 6pts
10)Saints 5pts
11)Wuss 5pts
12)Falcons 1pts

The only way is up. :smt017
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

Surely Cockers must now start Young and Staunton against Bath. Grindal was again far too slow. I feel sorry for Ford, but he is playing in a poor team and constantly kicks the ball away to what was a rampant opposition today. Is he getting any advice from anyone ? As for Tigers' defence - what defence ? I don't recall ever seeing two tries against us like those scored by Joubert in the first half and Farrell in the second. Has tackling become an optional extra ?
ChrisNottm

Post by ChrisNottm »

For me the absolute travesty is the resignation of a proud club and its fans to a manufactured process that we are helpless to do anything about. The trouble is that we have all said for years how unfair it is for games to be played during the autumn and 6 nations competitions let alone the World cup but no-one ever listens or in fact cares. The clubs smile sweetly and trot out the party line as the compensation is banked and they entreat us to sign up as season ticket holders for the best club competition in the world.

Well we should start telling the truth that it actually isnt - its probably the best SQUAD competition but I, for one, am sick of watching 2nd and 3rd team rugby. Why didnt they run the useless LDV cup or whatever it is during this period?

Why do we continually just troop in and troop out and put up with this - simply because money talks and once youre signed up no one cares.

Im sick of it to be honest and from the look of the empty spaces around the ground today so are a lot of people. God forbid even the Corporate Caterpillar block over half way was only a third full at the most!!!!
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

:smt024 :smt024

That was painful to watch and when was the last time Leicester lost by such a margin, and conceding 50 points at home. Only a handful of players put their hands up for the task today while others like Tait looked like he was taking part in a training session. To top that - Allen could be out for a few weeks after a heavy collision in the first half. I still believe that the AP should be put on hold for at least a month with such a major competition like the RWC going on. How many other sports would tolerate this situation? I think supporters are getting a raw deal at the moment.
Philip J Gray
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

We are managing to score tries and there are some good aspects to our game but the defence is absolutely appalling, dropping off tackles, opposing players running through without so much as a hand on them, i have a lot of sympathy for Cockers at the moment but defending like this is unacceptable even with a depleted side.
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

:smt024 :smt024

Thanks for that jg. It is hard to maintain that happy go lucky exterior when a lot of supporters feel the same way I do and that was before the match finished. One supporter said it was the first time he had left the game before the finish. Attendance less that the Exeter game which say it all. Glad that England raised a smile on my face and a beer tonight will do the trick.
Philip J Gray
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

I shall only start to panic if this slide continues when players start to return. Until then I see this as a bit of damage limitation sort of phase.

Please note Northampton are below us and we are a mere 3 points off 6th place.
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

An unacceptable performance. I'm sorry but this was not an academy team we put out. We need to stop making excuses for them. They are professional rugby players, most with a lot of premiership experience and many with international caps.

For them to walk through a gap for the second try, find a gap around the ruck for the third that was left wide open by Grindal, and to find an overlap with a man in the sin bin amongst other gripes... sorry but you wouldn't accept that from Vipers thirds.

I grant you I didn't expect a win today. But I expected us to put in a brave effort. We didn't. 50-25 flattered us and it could and should have been much worse.

And if you were part of the crowd around the tunnel who clapped and cheered the team off at full time.... why? Were you happy with that performance? Were you trying to tell them it is okay to play like that? Were you patronising them by saying "there there.... it doesn't matter"? Just why? I'm not advocating booing per se, but I'm more than happy telling them I'm not happy with the garbage they served up today.

As a season ticket holder of around 18 years I can confidently say that was the most feeble performance I have ever seen by a Tigers team at Welford Road. If you want to make excuses for it.... well you are entitled to your wrong opinion.
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

jgriffin wrote:It's been a bad week, and the Mrs is poorly. And then the match - if it could be called a 'match' between Saffas 1st and our 2nds. I just hope we tonk them on the return fixture.
:smt011 :smt011 :smt011

Err, the return fixture is during the 6 Nations, and AWAY from home! :censored: :smt721 :smt078 :toimonster:

Bath away next week should be interesting, if none of the walking wounded have recovered by then!

I wonder if TTTE will be allowed to return to the fold any time soon!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

We can take a few learning points from today:

Chuter is the club's 3rd best hooker although we still don't know why he's starting let alone captain.

Mafi is a second row and simply too big and immobile to play in the back row.

Young Ford is a huge talent but needs to convert to scrum half as he's too small to play fly half in the modern game.

We seem to need a defense coach as tackling seems to be optional!

A lot of our players spend too much time getting back to their feet (Ben Woods top of the list).

We still don't know why Grindall starts ahead of Young unless Cockers wants to make sure he's off Englands' radar should more injuries occur.

On the whole not that bad apart from the defense - again confirming Sarries are nothing special - I said that after we lost to them last year yet we still made a dogs' breakfast of the final!
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Personally, I thought Ford had a very poor game. Our defence was woefully inadequate and I can't see the rot stopping until our players are back.

Sarries' defence was very good and their movement of the ball from the ruck area much quicker than ours. Their backs also hit the line at speed and at angles whereas we just plodded into contact almost from a standing start.

I love Leicester Tigers but this was the lowest day for me. The person who looks after theTrophy Cabinet will not be very busy this season. :smt090
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.