Tigers to go foreign?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kingol22
Super User
Super User

Tigers to go foreign?

Post by kingol22 »

Cockerill has been in the mercury saying that they are going to look at the recruitment policy due to the number of absentees this year. He says that if tigers do go for more foreign talent it will hurt england as well. His suggestion of opening the season with the LV cup also seems very sensible but was shot down by the other teams. I hope that he is just trying to influence peoples decisions with these comments as i would hate us not to have such an english contingent.
http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/L ... story.html
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers to go foreign?

Post by tigerburnie »

It won't only us as this could end up like the football,the rfu are in danger of killing Englands chances of ever winning anything ever again over this.The clubs can survive,they have an alternative,but can the rfu?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Tigers to go foreign? They have already to a large extent. No problem for England as after a few years they are EPS qualified anyway (see current squad).
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Realistically moving the LV was always a none starter as it would have needed the agreement of the Welsh teams and therefore also the Magners League in its entirety.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I support Tigers, I always have. I wish we didn't have to play when our internationals are away. I dislike the teams who sign players who are good but not quite good enough to be called up for international duty because of their cynical approach to success - you know who I mean.

There is something about the Tigers' set up that promotes success. Yes, we are now 7 1st team players down due to England's requirements, not to mention the others playing for their respective countries. But how many recent ex-Tigers are at the RWC? How many of those were nowhere near consideration before their stay at Tigers?

Whatever it is that Tigers bring to the table in the development of top class players we now have to question if it is really worth while. If one of the 2 drop goals attempts had gone over against Chiefs and if we'd stopped Wade at Wasps would be having this discussion (we would be nearly top of the table)?

The team have played well considering. The RFU in all their glory don't give a monkey's about what they take from the clubs, especially us, to pay for their moment in the sun. I think it would be a shame to let our development side go but, what the hell, it's the way footy has gone - and look at the 'success' of their Engerlund team. Look at the success of the top 4 footy teams in Europe. Everyone sees Tigs as the Man U of rugby, fair enough, lets sign players like them - the best from around the world.

Oh yes the salary cap. A couple of seasons ago there was talk of a break-away European league being set up - bring it on. I pay good money to watch the best. What I'm seeing at the moment isn't the best, they are all in on the other side of the world. What I'm seeing now is a potentially good team. Give them a season at Tigers playing together and the team that turns out against Saffas will be up there. It's what Tigers do. And its what Tigers get penalised for.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

This is a stupid comment IMO. I also don't like losing so many players to the world cup but if England decline because the clubs don't support them then gates will fall all over England and T.V revenues will go with it. Clubs will fold, foreign players won't come here anyway because we won't be able to pay enough and we will be back to amateur rugby. I believe Tigers have done so well because we have contributed so heavily to England down the years, we shouldn't forget this. Just wait and see how strong the playing department becomes in a season or so because of this experience. We will benefit greatly in time from having to throw so many players into the mix.
Cheery chappy
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I disagree, The Boy Dave.

I support Tigers, it is my team, not England.

If Tigers does not achieve HC qualification, the financial hit jeopardises the future of the club.

Not making the play-offs is also financially damaging. These are the factors which will stop people coming to WR.

What does the RFU do for Tigers?

Club first for me.
Valhalla I am coming!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="kingol22"]Cockerill has been in the mercury saying that they are going to look at the recruitment policy due to the number of absentees this year. He says that if tigers do go for more foreign talent it will hurt england as well. His suggestion of opening the season with the LV cup also seems very sensible but was shot down by the other teams. I hope that he is just trying to influence peoples decisions with these comments as i would hate us not to have such an english contingent.
http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/L ... story.html[/quote]

I think we should go for home grown talent... Just like Saracens !!!! :smt018 :smt009
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

Fleabane, I'm with you. :smt038
Stupid

Post by Stupid »

First up, I would imagine that longer term we will benefit from the current situation. Young players are getting good experience and we are getting to see who can and can't step up.

Secondly, I'm no expert on the management of rugby, but shouldn't any criticism be levelled at PRL rather than the RFU?

Isn't it PRL that decided to carry on playing through the international windows? decided to 'smooth' payments so that Tigers don't get the full benefit of payments for released players? do not build flexibility in to the salary cap to allow replacements to be brought in to cover international absentees?

The RFU actually offer a reasonable return for time with the players, and the money they generate from that provides a huge subsidy for the league. Yep, Tigers and perhaps Saints, Quins and maybe Gloucester could survive without that. However, I would imagine that most (if not all) other teams would go bust without that support. And, if PRL actually allowed us to a) keep the payments received for players in the EPS, b) let us use it to recruit suitable cover and c)tried to minimise clashes there wouldn't really be a problem.

Mediocre teams effectively have the control of PRL as it is run on a 1 team 1 vote basis, and there are more of them. It is not a great surprise therefore that they run the league to their benefit, and are happy to have Tigers and Saints etc suffer at times like this. While I would welcome a European League it's biggest benefit surely would be being shot of PRL.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

This is going to be a continuing problem because, barring injuries, all the Tigers currently on England WC duty will be picked for the 2015 WC (when, I think, we stand even more chance of winning).
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I'm no expert on the management of rugby, but shouldn't any criticism be levelled at PRL rather than the RFU?
Absoloutely correct!
England will always benefit the clubs. They bring the glamour to rugby and money with it. Tigers have benefitted more than anyone because they have supplied so many players. Increased T.V coverage, RFU payments, shirt sales and bums on seats have all come about because we are the most attractive club in England. It's the PRL that is the struggle for us with the wage cap etc. They are trying to keep us down but it is enabling us to invest cash in WR that might not be available if we were allowed to break the bank on players so in the long term we will be better off.
Cheery chappy
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

fleabane wrote:What does the RFU do for Tigers?

Other than provide most of the central funding to PRL that then gets distributed to the clubs you mean?

The funds that, without them, would mean Tigers wouldn't be anywhere near profitable and would probably be unable to exist as a pro club...
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

England have a decent team once every decade(look at the history)at best,Tigers have remained at or near the top since the 1970's.I think England have fared better in the proffesional era,but I don't see any great benefit for Tigers,we suffer as a club each world cup,more than any other club.Clubs need to get big gates every game,are we at the moment?We may get big gates when the full team is available,but it is bad business for the premiership games to be on when the national teams playing,it doesn't happen in football.
If we fail to qualify for europe,will that be a fair sacrifice for our club?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

If we fail to qualify for europe,will that be a fair sacrifice for our club?
No it won't be a fair sacrifice!
My argument is that clubs such as Exeter and Sale are in the top half of the table and they don't fill their sides with foreign players. Top players will be lost to internationals no matter which country they come from (Castro, Ayerza, Murphy) so if Cockers wants to fill the side with players he won't lose to internationals then they will have to be players not of international quality in which case we won't qualify regularly for europe anyway.
It's a catch 22 situation but I would rather concentrate on high quality English players and suffer once every four years.
Cheery chappy