Smurph injured at RWC

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Smurph injured at RWC

Post by adamv6 »

Reports coming in that Smurph has done his hamstring in training, although they reckon he will be fit for the next match.

From that can we assume that Keirney isn't fit, and they will risk Smurph at 80% fitness, probably sending him back in 2wks broken :(
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Smurph injured at RWC

Post by Tigerbob »

Sadly - you could very well be right! :smt012

Let's hope the World Cup will not have a heavy toll on the rest of the Tigers players as well, or this season could be a washout.
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

i may be a bit pessimisitic but I think by the time we get going when the top boys come back, we will too far adrift. Then there is the 6 Nations!! :smt013
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

No reason being cross about it, we all know it happens every four years and we pay slightly for our success, but its a small price to play. I personally wouldnt give up the international matches to make things abit easier for the club. I know some people disagree and I have no problem with that.
PAW

Post by PAW »

How does international compensation work?
Both for supplying players and for those broekn by international teams?
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

salcombe bob wrote:i may be a bit pessimisitic but I think by the time we get going when the top boys come back, we will too far adrift. Then there is the 6 Nations!! :smt013
I've always thought that. Why not just miss it in a World Cup season? It's too much strain on the 'elite' players IMHO. Then there's the summer tours as well. :smt012
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

PAW wrote:How does international compensation work?
Both for (1.) supplying players and (2.) for those broken by international teams?
1. None directly to supplying clubs :smt012
(but RFU = 30k per elite player onto salary cap, I think. IRFU probably nothing to salary cap :smt012 )
2. None :smt012
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

Not quite Jay.

1. Not directly to supplying clubs. RFU = £30k per elite player to PRL who then divide it all up evenly to the 12 Premiership clubs. None of this additional money goes to increase the salary cap though.

2. If a player is injured playing for his country then usually the national union compensates the club for the player's wages while they are injured etc. However, this depends on the union & what insurance they have. Eg, RFU, IRFU & other big unions DO compensate. Samoa, Tonga & other poorer unions often can't. Players for these smaller countries often need to take out their own insurance when they are playing for their country.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Somewhat unfair I think:

Clubs that produce no England players:
Get to share in the money the RFU pay for using the players.
Get to benefit from playing against weakened sides when England are playing.
Get to benefit from playing against weakened sides that are compulsarily resting England players.
Get to benefit from playing against weakened sides that have their players injured on England duty.

How many players were Exeter missing because of England duty?
What if we miss out on Europe next season?
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I have been saying this for years and have to agree 100%

actually I would go further - I cannot see England seriously challenging again for the World Cup until they REWARD the clubs who porduce the top England players.

That should not only be in the form of the lions share of the money but even more important than that, a relaxing of the wage cap for every player they provide.

No such provision should of course be available those who play for other non English international teams thereby encouraging the production of English players and discouraging helping out other nations with their production line.

and I am a scot, by the way, who would like english clubs to give our players exposure at the highest level .................... but as far as England goes it is nonsense.

Worcester for example for all the years they were in the prem only produced Sanderson (AND HE WAS RUBBISH) - and arguabely now Kitchener- in spite of having the same cash from England as Tigers have - it is the economics of the madhouse.

It would be like a system of widget production allowing the major retailer to pay a widget manaufacturer who produced inferior widgets the same money as the best selling, brand leading widget manufacturer! I think they tried that system in the Soviet Union and that was not wholly successful!!
Red Cap

Post by Red Cap »

[quote="mightymouse"]
Worcester for example for all the years they were in the prem only produced Sanderson (AND HE WAS RUBBISH) - and arguabely now Kitchener- in spite of having the same cash from England as Tigers have - it is the economics of the madhouse.
quote]

To be fair to England RFU I think they do give more money to clubs that provide players to the England Team. I think the problem is the PRL then even the money out by paying the clubs that provide more of the Elite players less. Just to even things up so as not to upset all the sensitive clubs.

Apart from that I agree with you mightymouse, The clubs should not lose out because they develop the players for the national team and the long term development of England needs the clubs.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

mightymouse wrote: Worcester for example for all the years they were in the prem only produced Sanderson (AND HE WAS RUBBISH) - and arguabely now Kitchener- in spite of having the same cash from England as Tigers have - it is the economics of the madhouse.
If you include Kitchener, you have to include Matt Mullen too - he's got more caps (1!) than Kitchener. As for Sanderson, he was already an international when he went there too. :smt001
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

According to cockers tonight on the radio - Tigers get £330,000 to 'compensate' 11 players that take 'almost half' the salary cap - "how's that supposed to work"?
cheers
Rich
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

It "works" because Unions are not required by the IRB to compensate players called up for international duty. The RFU do provide some compensation to the clubs though, under the current agreement. Other unions (including IRFU) do not provide Tigers with any compensation for the players they call up.
PAW

Post by PAW »

Am I right in thinking that England have said that any players based in France will not be selected after the world cup?
I would have thought this went against EU employment but if those rules can be ignored, could we tell Engalnd they need to 'rent' our players? Or they can only have three at a time? Or if they break any, they have to buy us a knew one?
Not entirely serious suggestions but it does seem illogical that succesful teams like or Saints can have their assets used by a non contributing third party but team like sarries or Worcester benefit on the playing field.