Newcastle Vs Leicester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Re: Newcastle Vs Leicester

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

A win at last, well done to all the lads.

This is just an observation and not a go at George Ford who has done well so far, but I think he has to learn very quickly what his limitations are. He comes out of the line too much and leaves a dog-leg which the opposition are exploiting. The other thing is his kicking, in all three games some of his kicking has led to the opposition launching counter-attacks and scoring. He is kicking the ball away too much. On the plus side he has a good eye for a break and the experience will stand us in good stead for the future.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

Stanko MOM[/quote]

With you on that one Fleabane. Just got back from the game. Stankovitch the hero of the day in my opinion. Took a bad knock early on (unusual in itself). Carried on and never took a backward step. Holford, and later Tom Youngs, can also be pleased with their day's work.
retsilnai
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by retsilnai »

Absolutely, thought Stanko immense throughout, Youngs impressive whilst he was on, Slater huge, especially in the closing moments when it mattered, Salvi a rock, who knows how to play, Brookes, an impressive 10 seconds. Ford, needs to impose himself, 8trees, needs to mean it. Lets play at 90% rather than 50%.... we could have won by 20 points.
Ian
Mr_Ben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr_Ben »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:A win at last, well done to all the lads.

This is just an observation and not a go at George Ford who has done well so far, but I think he has to learn very quickly what his limitations are. He comes out of the line too much and leaves a dog-leg which the opposition are exploiting. The other thing is his kicking, in all three games some of his kicking has led to the opposition launching counter-attacks and scoring. He is kicking the ball away too much. On the plus side he has a good eye for a break and the experience will stand us in good stead for the future.
For me part of the issue with the kicking and the counter attacks is the poor effort on kick chases.

Newcastle went most of the way from their 22 to halfway before our defensive line got to them after the last kick yesterday.
Tweentown

Post by Tweentown »

Key question for me is how bad are the injuries to White and Brookes as if either or both of them is out for any time then we're going to be in trouble[/quote]

Julian had his arm in a sling after the game and Brookes had his ankle and foot heavily bound and was on crutches. Also Skivington was substitued after having had lengthy treatment during the game, so may be injured.

I was really proud of the team to pull off te win yesterday - it can't do much for morale and confidence to see players being injured one after the other with such depleted resources in the first place.

Had a quick word with Julian after the match - he seemed in good spirits. Our scrum was stronger this week with his presence and I hope the injury is not serious or I suppose that could be his last game - he desrerves a proper Welford Rd send off.

By the way, I would imagine the reason we didn't go for the penalty try at the scrum just before half time was due to Julian's injury - we left the field clutching his arm.

Tight head resources now at a minimum. Casto & Cole in NZ, White & Brookes injured. We have got Michael Holford back to cover.
Bring back the rolling maul...and they did
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Tweentown wrote: By the way, I would imagine the reason we didn't go for the penalty try at the scrum just before half time was due to Julian's injury - we left the field clutching his arm.
Paul Burke was interviewed juts before the players came out for the second half and was asked why Tigers did not go for the scrum. He said that Julian has a sore shoulder so hence the decision to go for the posts

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

However, there was nothing stopping Tigers making a substitution at that point (Brookes for White) and staying with the scrums.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Very lucky yesterday I thought. One bad pass at the end let us get away with it.

However, on the bright side, it's a win and to be honest if we're only a couple of wins back from the top when everyone comes back from the RWC, that's a gap we can make up. If we have to be in good form for the end of the season to make sure of our place in the playoffs, that might not be a bad thing.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Huge relief to have snuck the win but worried that resources are going to be stretched to the limit in the coming weeks (especially front row). I for one would like to see much more of Micky Young and Tom Youngs....
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Pleased with the win but we made hard work of beating a poor team.
We new Exeter & Wasps would be hard and i expected at best a LBP but i honestly thought we would neat Newcastle with a bit to spare. I know thw injuries didn't help etc but was surprised how many errors were made.
That said well done for sticking at it and getting the win at the end.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Whilst the win was very important,the key was the players reaction to that win.A group of players,coming together and becoming a team,as Cockers has said,"you can't buy that"
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
dontlookdown

Post by dontlookdown »

BJ. wrote:However, there was nothing stopping Tigers making a substitution at that point (Brookes for White) and staying with the scrums.
Except maybe they didn't appreciate how bad Whites injury was and were hoping he could come out for the second half.
7 years so far..