What are your expectations?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

What are your expectations?

Post by Tiglon »

I'm new to this forum, and slightly surprised by the expectations some people seem to have for the club.

Having been a Tigers fan for many years, I'm proud of the clubs fantastic history amd expect the team to challenge for silverware every season. However, I am realistic in that I realise there are other clubs out there who also have good acadamies, good coaching teams, and good players. Tigers aren't going to win every match, kick every goal, and make every tackle. With a salary cap it's impossible for any club to completely dominate.

I feel that on the whole Tigers more often than not live up to my expectations, and provide me with a lot of entertainment along the way.

When I was young, my family almost moved to Northampton in which case I would have become a Northampton fan instead. I thank God every day that there was a change of plan at the last minute and I ended up supporting a successful club instead.

So, sarcasm and joking aside, what are your expectations for Leicester Tigers?
hugh78
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: What are your expectations?

Post by hugh78 »

Tiglon nice post, unfortunately it is really difficult to find posts without sarcasm or joking on here.

My expectations are (as always) for a bumpy ride through until January, scraping into the top 6 around feb (when other teams start suffering from injuries or a couple of dark horses emerge and start beating the top teams) and a final push into the top 4 for the playoffs, probably even coming down to the last game. Injuries permitting we play and beat saracens away (not having made the top 2) and make it to the final (in all seriousness). In the HC we get lucky and get to the semis.

Lots of youngsters get game time, we manage to hold onto them and then look really good for next season.
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

difficult to judge on one game but the fact we will have so many away for so long is worrying. Not sure we have the depth to cover it as 11 away and the injuries is a lot. :smt039
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think you've misunderstood. I'm not asking how well you think we will do, but how well you think we should do - what constitutes a satisfactory season, not just this year, but every year.
RobGale

Post by RobGale »

As a general, normal year (so excluding this season) I'd expect tigers to make the league playoffs and make the QF's of the HEC

Which (despite what a lot of the forum would have you believe) is exactly what Cockers has done 2 out of his 3 seasons in charge of Tigers
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Expectations? I expect nothing in life or from Tigers. However, there are things I would like, and respectfully request;

I respectfully request that each and every Rugby professional who pulls on the Tigers jersey does so because they want to, because it has some meaning to them (other than financial), and when doing so, gives nothing less than 100% in EVERY game. In doing so they will show me that they care about Leicester Tigers, as much as I and others do, care about the famous shirt, care about the famous club, care about the famous club's fans. Giving 100% does not mean we always have to win (though it would be nice), nor does it mean we will automatically win anything/everything.

That is all.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Tiglon wrote: Tigers aren't going to win every match, kick every goal, and make every tackle. With a salary cap it's impossible for any club to completely dominate.
I dont know about expectations but i want us to win the HC and prem every year, I know it is not going to happen but that is what i want and it should be what the players want and strive for. What you say above is true but we should strive for that and the fact that we do, or at least did, is why we have been the most consistent team in the league.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Expectations ? I expect extreme commitment and silverware.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

In my opinion, expectations are determined by history and circumstances.

I think every Tigers fan's expectations are the same. To be competitive and in the hunt for silverware at the end of the season. It is a reasonable expectation since history shows that we have been in every premiership play-off final for the last 6+ seasons and we have also been to two HC finals in the same period and with a history of success before that.

So based on history, we should reasonably expect to reach the AP final and maybe the HC semi/final and potentially pick up silverware.

However, then there are circumstances. And, without doubt, circumstances this season have given us a severe handicap. We are missing 11 players for the first 4-6 games and we have no idea in what state they will return from the world cup - fit, injured, needing a rest etc. Add to that the injuries to Parling, Crane, Newby, White, Tait, Pienaar ... and perhaps Waldrom? Then circumstances will also effect expectation.

Most folks acknowledge that we will struggle until December but will hope that we have enough re-inforcements to recover and reach the play-offs and launch a serious campaign on the HC.

On the HC Cup, those first two HC fixtures in November and the Back-to-back Clermont games in December and the quality of squads we have available for those games will be crucial.

So, no doom and gloom, realistic expectations based on the circumstances we find ourselves in.
Always a Tiger
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Really would like to see the less experienced players given time while the international 11 are away to stake a claim to the starting jersey. After that, so long as all players are giving 100% and making the effort i'll support them every step of the way.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Eon

Post by Eon »

I expect to enjoy some Rugby, watch the development of players old and new, increase my knowledge of the game, not to notice who the ref is, enjoy the crowd around me, and to be able to live in hope of silverware.

Sadly I also expect irritation over the PA at half time, and too many people paying attention to the ref and not the players.

Mostly I expect to enjoy myself.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I expect Tigers to win Silverware every season.

So do the Board.
Still keeping the faith!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

My expectations also mirror those of the board, tempered by the knowledge that those expectations may prove unrealistic in RWC years.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Eon wrote:...too many people paying attention to the ref and not the players.
I think you're in the wrong place!
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Winning Silverware each Season should be the expectation of all involved with the Club .We have declined a great deal since the HC wins of 2001 and 2002 and I pray that someone will take the Club and players by the scruff of the neck and get us back to the top of the tree .