Releasing the tackled player

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Releasing the tackled player

Post by bluntiger »

I noticed in the Northampton game that a Gloucester player was penalised after he was tackled. The tackler released the player (correctly) and the tackled player then got up and started going forward and was penalised.

That happened three or four times in our game when an exeter player was tackled and then got up and moved forward. But was not penalised.

I know the laws on the tackled player being 'not held' but given the law that the tackler must release the player immediately, surely then the tackled player cannot get up and start going forward again.

Any thoughts?
Always a Tiger
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Releasing the tackled player

Post by MJ Chairman »

If a player is tackled he must release or place the ball. Even if he is then able to get up he must release the ball and then regain it before moving forward. I think. :smt023
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

MJ Chairman wrote:If a player is tackled he must release or place the ball. Even if he is then able to get up he must release the ball and then regain it before moving forward. I think. :smt023
That was my impression but that was not how it was refereed in our game on Saturday but it was in the Saints game.
Always a Tiger
Yelphere
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Yelphere »

The key issue Refs will decide upon is whether the tackle has been completed or not. Mr Wrigglesworth obviously thought relevant Tigers tackles had not been completed. Overall, I thought Tigers tackling was a bit poor.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

It was slightly harsh, however, the play must regain his feet if he wishes to play the ball and May was clearly crawling with the ball on all fours as he fought to keep going forward. He was off his feet and technically out of the game and so should have released or got to his feet before trying to maintain his advance. Conrad Smith got a try disallowed for something similar but more blatant down under, the ref told him "the game is to be played on your feet".
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The whole release issue has become farcical.
If the tackler holds on he's penalised , if he releases the tackled player carries on as if he's merely stumbled.

I think the rule should be simplified. Tackler should only be obliged to release the tackled player once the tackled player has released the ball. However tackler cannot prevent the tacked player from releasing/placing the ball if he too is off his feet.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

bluntiger wrote:I noticed in the Northampton game that a Gloucester player was penalised after he was tackled. The tackler released the player (correctly) and the tackled player then got up and started going forward and was penalised.
Cato stood up once whilst his ankle was still being held and the referee didn't call it. Within a few seconds Saints had the put in at a scrum and were awarded a free kick from which the scrum half scored.

The scrum should never have taken place