Tigers v. Montpellier tonight!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

doogie

Re: Tigers v. Montpellier tonight!

Post by doogie »

JerryGas wrote:Training game, repeat training game. Result in August totally immaterial.
Result immaterial
Performance not though.
doogie

Post by doogie »

Some plus points ...

We did look good going forward ... controlled the ball well in the 2nd half ... lineout was generally good ... Hawkins continues to impresss me and I think he should be given some serious game time. Grindall looked sharp and his distribution was quick and accurate.

Nearly every try conceeded was about missed tackles so it's not like every part of our game was poor. Tighten up on that and we will be ok. Miss even half that amount of tackles in a Prem game and we will be thrashed.
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Gotta remember French season starts next week, so Montpellier are close to fully sharp. We are far from it.

Woeful yeas, pre-season yes.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

I only caught the last 25 mins of the game - which ended 3 tries apiece and looked quite an even contest !

With the stream I had, I couldn't tell who was who in a Tigers shirt !! - Can anyone tell me who put on the afterburners for the 2nd try ?

Lets remember that its the first game of pre-season and :

1. its game time for the whole squad that counts
2. the french season starts a week ahead of ours
3. the result is not important
4. there are lots of new faces trying to fit in
5. we will get better and be good & ready by the Exeter game

Hope Geordie is okay - we don't want anyone getting injured before the real action starts !!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Yes, a bit of perspective needed. Well lost pretty heavily true, but to last seasons runner up French team with much more preseason training under them.

Sounds like we need a lot of tackle practice and some match fitness and I think we will be ok.

Cockers picks these matches because they are hard. You learn much more. And we rarely win on our trips to france preseason as they usually are a few weeks ahead.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Jay C wrote: With the stream I had, I couldn't tell who was who in a Tigers shirt !! - Can anyone tell me who put on the afterburners for the 2nd try ?
http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/17550.php

First try for Waldrom, second, from the maul for Parilli-Ocampo, the third try was Forsyth and the final try for Armes.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

So, off to a brilliant start again - 3rd season in a row. Being devoid of many top players a 50 point stuffing may be seen more than once this season?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

TigerCam wrote:So, off to a brilliant start again - 3rd season in a row. Being devoid of many top players a 50 point stuffing may be seen more than once this season?
Only in the LV, Montpellier are ahead in terms of their pre-season and it was the first game, we still have a month until the Exeter game. That side wasn't the best we could muster either, there was no Crane, Young, White, Staunton etc.

There's no need for general pessisim and cries of sack Cockers after just one pre-season loss.
Last edited by PM76 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Ah well as Johnno used to say, in the four years we won the Prem back to back we didnt win one pre season game!
dontlookdown

Post by dontlookdown »

As has been said before, the point of these games is to start to get back into the flow of things and to demonstrate what needs to be worked on. As long as things improve up to the new season then there is nothing to overly worry about yet.
7 years so far..
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

Well, I would think this was a big disappointment despite all the excuses/reasons above! The Tigers team wasn't a bad line up.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Can someone who watched it please tell me how much difference there was between the team initially published v the team who played and how many changes there were.

It the discriptions of the game mentions the likes of Ocampo, Armes , Forsyth etc and they are not in the team published.

I was suprised to hear the scrum was being shoved about if Stanko and Brookes were propping as published - however if some of the Academy/ Development guys were playing when that happened it is less of a worry
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Bad result but it is only pre season. Glad to hear that Tait and Murphy came through the game ok, is murphy definitely out of the ireland squad now?
Also how did Ford get on?
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

mightymouse wrote:Can someone who watched it please tell me how much difference there was between the team initially published v the team who played and how many changes there were.

It the discriptions of the game mentions the likes of Ocampo, Armes , Forsyth etc and they are not in the team published.

I was suprised to hear the scrum was being shoved about if Stanko and Brookes were propping as published - however if some of the Academy/ Development guys were playing when that happened it is less of a worry
After about 50 minutes the entire team changed and only Twelvetrees, Allen, Woods and Hamilton played the 80, I think anyway the french commentators could not work out who was off and who was on as we had no numbers etc. Stanko and Brookes were pushed around and in the second half the scrum looked a bit more stable with Bucknall and Ocampo although Montpellier took their starting props off in the second half. Armes looked good as did Forsyth.
kingol22 wrote:Bad result but it is only pre season. Glad to hear that Tait and Murphy came through the game ok, is murphy definitely out of the ireland squad now?
Also how did Ford get on?
I don't think Murphy is out of the Ireland squad, all the media reported he would play for us as he was not in Ireland's match day squad and both Tigers and Ireland clearly want him fit. If Ireland don't pick him on Saturday I suspect he will be out of their squad but he has not been officially released like Chuter, Mafi and Waldrom.

Ford looked ok, he did some nice things but he had a kick charged down and looked like he needed a bit more time than what he had available. He missed tackles but the whole side missed tackles so it would be unfair to say he looked out of his depth.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Here, a video summarizing the "Vaquerin Challenge". Montpellier Leicester appears towards the end. What a shock for the eye is this away kit ! :smt003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cxjjpGaqro
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans