England

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

England

Post by Will S »

I hear 5 players will be released from the squad at lunchtime today. I wonder who will be going?
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England

Post by Will S »

Would be surprised to see Manu go as I thought they were going to give him a shot in one of the warm up matches. By all accounts he was very good in the game the other day so it doesn't sound as though he is letting himself down.

Guys that could be in trouble could include:

Botha
Chuter
Fourie
Mears
Payne
Robshaw
Worsley
Sharples
Simpson
Strettle
Waldrom
Wigglesworth
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Has now been confirmed:

Chuter
Worsley
TTT
Simpson-Daniel
Strettle
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

Will S wrote:Has now been confirmed:

Chuter
Worsley
TTT
Simpson-Daniel
Strettle
where has this been confirmed?
cheers
Rich
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Rykard wrote:
Will S wrote:Has now been confirmed:

Chuter
Worsley
TTT
Simpson-Daniel
Strettle
where has this been confirmed?
Skysports website and ESPNScrum site to name but two.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

thanks - shame for Chutes and TTT but good for tigers, and I suppose there could always be injury call ups..
cheers
Rich
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

No great suprise to be honest - both players would do a great job I'm sure if they were called up, but TTTE probably doesn't fit into the style that England want from their number 8, and Chutes won't really offer anything different/extra - at least Mears has a running game. Still, England's loss is our gain, looking forward to seeing them both take leading roles for the Tigers early this season.

Happy to see that mug Worsely out of there, but gutted to see Sinbad dropped.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

with no Sinbad would this signal Manu's inclusion?
cheers
Rich
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

This has got me thinking about the England team and there are very few positions which are really nailed down. I would says the Saints 4 are about the only ones with Hartley, Lawes, Ashton and Foden all fairly certain to make the starting team. Apart from them very few positions are certain. There are obviously some favourites (e.g. Tindall for OC) for winning each shirt but, unlike 2003, a lot of places are still up in the air with supporting players pushing their cases very hard. It will make the warm up matches very interesting as there is a huge amount for the guys to play for.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Not surprised to see TTTE and Chutes excluded as they don't offer anything special. Similar for Worsley who although always gives 100 and is a superb defender doesn't stand out from the crowd when compared to the likes of Croft and Wood.

However, a huge sigh of relief to see Strettle and Simpson Daniels dropped. Neither is any where near international quality: two flashy runners who can't kick, can't (or just won't) tackle, neither have the slightest bit of rugby nous and they are both lazy. Cannot understand why either were even considered for the squad.

I feared we were going to get another 2003 when Woodward took that other very similar one-trick show pony Dan Luger to the world cup and left behind Austin Healey.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Leicester looking a little better off after that (though I would not have minded seeing Hawkins and Youngs get a run in the team during the WC, given Chuter's declining form). Waldrom being released ensures that we can still field a very strong back row during the early weeks of the season.

1. Stankovich
2. Chuter
3. Brookes
4. Skivington
5. Slater / Kitchener
6. Waldrom
7. Salvi
8. Crane

16. Hawkins
17. Bucknall
18. White
19. Kitchener / Slater
20. Woods

Going to be big, ugly and experienced enough to grind out a few wins until the cavalry arrives.

EDIT: Mind you, Chuter in the form he was last season throwing to that lot might see our lineout suffer badly. Skivington's a jumper and Slater/Kitchener/Crane offer options, but with no Croft and no Newby a decent attacking lineout could really take us apart.
Last edited by 4071 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

DickyP wrote:
However, a huge sigh of relief to see Strettle and Simpson Daniels dropped. Neither is any where near international quality: two flashy runners who can't kick, can't (or just won't) tackle, neither have the slightest bit of rugby nous and they are both lazy. Cannot understand why either were even considered for the squad.
I assume you are mistaking James Simpson-Daniel for some other player, as your description of him appears rather wide of the mark.
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

DickyP wrote:Not surprised to see TTTE and Chutes excluded as they don't offer anything special.

I feared we were going to get another 2003 when Woodward took that other very similar one-trick show pony Dan Luger to the world cup and left behind Austin Healey.
Harsh! Waldrom offers a lot in the open - a great deal more than Easter!

Strettle and JSD are two of the best wingers in Britain. Your comment about rugby nous only points to the possibility that you lack it yourself as Sinbad would surely by now have gained a half century of caps as an intelligent, exciting England player had he only have been able to stay fit and injury free.

Luger was awesome. Healey was unlucky to miss the cut, but not that unlucky.