First six rounds of premiership

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

daniel

First six rounds of premiership

Post by daniel »

The first six rounds of the premiership we will be without many of our top quality players but if you look who we have we will still have a dangerous set of farwards and some talented backs. I believe if we use the following players in the first six games we could actually come away with six wins, although the toughest test will be saracens at home.

1.Brookes
2.Hawkins
3.White
4.Parling - We really missed him IMO
5.Skivington
6.Slater
7.Woods
8.Crane

(Yes thats an entirely English pack)
9.Young
10.Staunton - Stability
11.Smith
12. Twelvetrees - Creativity
13.Allen - Defence
14.Hamilton
15.Tait

16.Youngs
17.Stanko
18.Bower
19.Kitchener
20.Newby
21.Harrison
22.Ford

I think our pack could still bully most the teams in the opening rounds, and i feel Parling will add a huge amount around the field but particulaly in the lineout. Our backs need staunton there for his boot and stability, although he needs to be told to attack the defence, and with 12T and Allen outside him we should have a impressive centre partnership even without Manu. And by having Stanko and Newby on the bench we would have the ability to add something to a loosing team if we were down with 20mins to go
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: First six rounds of premiership

Post by Ben the Tiger »

I would sooner see Stankovich start at Loosehead with Brookes switching to tighthead and Jules on the bench. Also Slater swapped with Newby, I think Newby is a valued member of the team, and a much better 6 than a 7, he also adds much needed leadership during the WC period. The back line I would more or less agree with though.
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
Bud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bud »

I think we'll see (if all go on international):

1. Stankovich
2. Hawkins
3. Brookes
4. Kitchener
5. Skivington
6. Newby (c)
7. Wood
8. Crane
9. Young
10. Staunton
11. Smith
12. Allen
13. Twelvetrees
14. Morris
15. Hamilton

16. Bucknall
17. White
19. Youngs
20. Slater
21. Grindal
22. Ford
23. Forsyth

Would be surprised (but ecstatic) if Tait and Parling are fit for the start of the season. Hope MY starts at 9, but wouldn't be surprised if Grindal did in the first few rounds. Ford is a stretch at 22 (as I don't think he's ready yet) but we're lacking a bit in that area. Would like to see Forsyth over Robinson on bench duties.
Ed
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I actually think we will be fairly strong during the WC period as our squad has such depth (Saints will really struggle I think). I see the following team taking the field. The pack is a match for any and 10 is about the only weak spot in the backs:

1. Stankovich
2. Hawkins
3. Brookes
4. Parling
5. Skivington
6. Newby (c)
7. Wood
8. Crane
9. Young
10. Staunton
11. Smith
12. Twelvetrees
13. Allen
14. Hamilton
15. Tait

16. Bucknall
17. White
19. Youngs
20. Kitchener
21. Grindal
22. Ford
23. Morris

Working on the basis that we will probably get players like Castro and Mafi back straight after the group stages then I think we will be doing alright. The main thing is to keep the players fit as one or two injuries could hurt us badly. I think the team selection will be very interesting when the internationals return!
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Tait
Hamilton
Twelvetrees
Allen
Smith
Staunton
Young

Stanko
Hawkins
Brookes
Skivington
Parling
Newby
Woods
Crane

Youngs
Bucknall / AN other
White
Kitchener
Slater
Grindal
Ford
Forsyth
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

After seeing his performance against the Boks, Bleus and ABs in the Junior WC, I would start Ford.

1. His defence was pretty good
2. His tactical kicking better than TF or JS (imo)
3. His distribution was excellent
4. His breaks were almost as good as TF
5. His goal kicking keft a bit to be desired but was probably as good as TF and JS - especially if we have 12T for the long ones.

Farrell is a prem regular and I thought George outplayed him.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Murphy, Tuilagi, Waldrom and Chuter are not definites to travel so we could have some, all or none of those available. All the others are certain, barring injury, to travel IMO. I would expect Mafi, Castro and Alex back by the end of the group stages and perhaps the Argentinian boys too. It would also be nice to see Forsyth and Youngs given a go. Crane should captain IMO. Hopefully Tait and Parling can get fit relatively quickly as without Tait the back 3 looks a little short. In the second row however we are very strong but Parling or Slater could play at 6 if Newby or Woods get injured. How good is Morris?? Can he simply be thrown in straight away or will Robinson start ahead of him. We have decent depth everywhere due to players covering many postions e.g Newby 6/7/8, Tait 13/14/15, Smith 13/14/15, Slater 4/5/6 and 12trees 10,12 but a few injuries could see the squad really streched.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Hasnt Lee Robinson been released?
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

MelChannerFan wrote:After seeing his performance against the Boks, Bleus and ABs in the Junior WC, I would start Ford.

5. His goal kicking keft a bit to be desired but was probably as good as TF and JS - especially if we have 12T for the long ones.

Love your positivity about Ford, and I think his path is looking good at Tigers but:
It needs to be very good

Floody and Staunton were off form, and when both sort it Ford is not quite there

Agree wholeheartedly

Errr - hello! Floodys attacking is by far the best

When Floody and Staunton come back I have every faith that it will be back to their extremely high standards, way above Ford

Ford will get smashed if he starts, but I hope he gets on with more than 2 mins to go!

I'd also like to see the Academy captain Charlie Clare on the bench to replace Hawkins a few times - bring on the youth!!
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

kingol22 wrote:Hasnt Lee Robinson been released?
It was only ever a rumour and the club have confirmed all of those leaving and I read on here that someone had spoken to him and he said he was staying put. He will be needed next year.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

PM76 wrote:
It was only ever a rumour and the club have confirmed all of those leaving and I read on here that someone had spoken to him and he said he was staying put. He will be needed next year.
Yes, there have been a couple of posts (on the unoffy) stating that Lee has confirmed he is still with us in 2011/12.

I can't remember where the original 'early release' rumour came from, but it was certainly out there.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:
MelChannerFan wrote:After seeing his performance against the Boks, Bleus and ABs in the Junior WC, I would start Ford.

Love your positivity about Ford, and I think his path is looking good at Tigers but:
It needs to be very good

Floody and Staunton were off form, and when both sort it Ford is not quite there

Agree wholeheartedly

Errr - hello! Floodys attacking is by far the best

When Floody and Staunton come back I have every faith that it will be back to their extremely high standards, way above Ford

Ford will get smashed if he starts, but I hope he gets on with more than 2 mins to go!

I'd also like to see the Academy captain Charlie Clare on the bench to replace Hawkins a few times - bring on the youth!!
1. Ford has it all to prove at AP level, as posted elsehere he needs to 'do a Ben Youngs'.
2. Inclined to agree with MCF.
3. Occasionally switches off, but broadly agree.
4. Agree with N&G.
5. Ford still has some way to go here.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

dailywaffle wrote:
PM76 wrote:
Yes, there have been a couple of posts (on the unoffy) stating that Lee has confirmed he is still with us in 2011/12.

I can't remember where the original 'early release' rumour came from, but it was certainly out there.
Thanks DW I knew I had read it somewhere. I think the rumour may have just been a presumption rather than based on any facts.