Rugby Lions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Rugby Lions

Post by tigerburnie »

Why would they have to drop out of the league,I understand the same happened to Manchester a couple of seasons back,in that the money dried up.Their paid players left and what was left took some right royal humpings(I witnessed Leicester Lions thrashing them at the den),but the club still survives.RL will have to rise from this and learn not to get reliant on outside money,but build from within the town.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Manchester is a good comparison but another one would be Orrell, where after everything went wrong they dropped down to the bottom of the league structure and started again. I suppose there is the possibility that league rules may have been broken so a points reduction. Untill the whole story comes out we don't know.
To answer Purbobs question, the last time the league leader wasn't promoted was Ampthill 2 or 3 seasons back, due to various irregularities. On that occasion the 3rd place team in their league Hinckley were promoted to Nat 2 south instead.
If this were to be repeated South Leicester would go up. :smt022
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I am aware that some elements of the media have published speculative comments about The Rugby Lions Football Club. Such speculation is not helpful, although inevitable perhaps. I anticipate being able to make some positive statements in the very near future and I thank you all for your on-going patience and support.

Michael Aland

Statement 11th June 2012
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Still waiting........
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »

From this week's Rugby Advertiser - no link to the article on their website:

"Speculation over the future of head coach Neil Back and Rugby Lions has been growing this week.

Very little information has been officially released by the club, but what is known is that despite a story in a national rugby union publication, Back has not resigned and that owner Mike Aland is hoping to be able to make a statement containing positive news about the club very soon.

It is understood there has been an agreement between Back and the players that they would consult each other out of respect before any resignations. Back is currently on holiday and the Advertiser has been unable to speak to him this week.

(Statement from Mike Aland as earlier in this thread.)

A spokesman for the club added: "Mr Aland is at "completion stage" on the financial front and is in on-going communication with Neil Back"."
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

There seems to be very little information coming out which is helping to cloud the waters.
Those on this forum that also go on Rolling Maul, may have read a post from a lady saying she is the partner of one of Lions players last season.
She talks of contracts being ignored, no payment being received, and only a few hundred pounds being made available as a result of numerous phone calls and emails. Her comments are backed up by another poster who is one of last seasons players and who is in the dark about the current situation.
I personally know of 2 ex tigers who have been contacted by the press concerning this, and Back leaving his post. I also know that a number of last seasons Lions squad are being offered to various local clubs.
Unfortunately there are going to be casualtys through this, both on the playing side, and the volunteers without which clubs cannot survive.
Neil Back may be on Holiday, but I can't believe his mobile doesn't work abroad.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

I understand Leigh Hinton has joined Kidderminster....
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Purebob wrote:I understand Leigh Hinton has joined Kidderminster....
I thought he was their top points scorer last season, yet he is moving down to level 7.
Summats amiss. :smt017

Just checked he scored more than 100 points more than any one else in that league.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

For sure MJC....but you know Club House chat...either 100% accurate or not :D
Butchers Hook
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Butchers Hook »

Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

If he had ANYTHING concrete even remotely positive he would have included it in this statement.

It is a mealy-mouthed position-holding device, no more.

Looks like Aland's plans for Rl will come to nought after all.
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »

Neil Back resigned last week - no link on Rugby Advertiser website, just a very long article on back page of the paper this week. Will put info here when I've scanned the page in :)
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Old news, Pam. See my comment on the previous page. :smt001
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »

It's in this week's Rugby Advertiser, BJ - they always are a bit slow :smt002
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

This article confirms the rumour that was being denied by Aland,but what is more interesting is why he left.Clearly he does not believe that Aland can deliver on his promises,money wise,otherwise why would he leave.The article also hints at players not staying and no mention of Andy Key either.
Neil Back seems to have come out of this with his dignity intact,not being paid and paying players out of your own bank account seems well above the call of duty.No wonder he was swearing a lot last year,if that what was going on behind the scenes.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.