Poll - should the forum remain? (no plans to close it!)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Should the forum/messageboards continue?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:59 pm

Yes, I use them often.
74%
Yes, I use them occasionally.
18%
No, I use Twitter or Facebook.
2%
Not bothered either way.
7%

Total votes: 117

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Poll - should the forum remain? (no plans to close it!)

Post by Bill W (2) »

thebearisstilldeano wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:Perhas this should be made a "sticky"?
Sorry Bill W (2) - that might just be my dribble.
If this was humour, :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 . Very good!

I posted it when the thread was floating as a suggestion that it be made to reside at the top (ever helpful me!). One of the moderators subsequently agreed!
Still keeping the faith!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

me2 wrote:I rarely bother to read this site anymore, preferring to use other forums (fora?) instead.

I'd echo DW's suggestion of a weekly post limit as I believe it would encourage quality over quantity. However I couldn't ever see it working as it would only lead to the same individual(s) creating multiple identities to circumvent the restrictions.
I note, Rizzo, that those posting thinly veiled attacks on me all post under pseudonyms, me2(aka Dave Angel, Lord Harbinger of Doom - an expert at multiple identities), dailywaffle, and tb1.

And have not had the courtesy to complain to me directly by PM.

Their e-mail addresses, in keeping with their identities are of course, invisible.

Their arguments are at best tenuous and at worst seek to destroy the forum.

Personally I do miss dailywaffles contributions. His insight into refereeing matters was at times most valuable. me2 lost all credibility to me when he proclaimed, as a supposed expert, that at Tigers Events hospitality functions at Twickenham all you got was a fork buffet when in fact the programme for such events showed a champagne reception, a four course lunch with fine wines and an after match free bar and supper.

I am sure thier veiws will be given due consideration.
Still keeping the faith!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I thank people for their posts, and we will be looking into and discussing some of the suggestions and comments.

May I also request - as I have done previously - that if certain users think there are "trolls" who are not being considered or dealt with, then please PM one of the moderators with the username of said troll and your reasons for why you consider them as such. Bearing in mind the actual definition of an internet troll which is "a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Bill W (2) wrote:
me2 wrote:I rarely bother to read this site anymore, preferring to use other forums (fora?) instead.

I'd echo DW's suggestion of a weekly post limit as I believe it would encourage quality over quantity. However I couldn't ever see it working as it would only lead to the same individual(s) creating multiple identities to circumvent the restrictions.
I note, Rizzo, that those posting thinly veiled attacks on me all post under pseudonyms, me2(aka Dave Angel, Lord Harbinger of Doom - an expert at multiple identities), dailywaffle, and tb1.

And have not had the courtesy to complain to me directly by PM.

Their e-mail addresses, in keeping with their identities are of course, invisible.

Their arguments are at best tenuous and at worst seek to destroy the forum.

Personally I do miss dailywaffles contributions. His insight into refereeing matters was at times most valuable. me2 lost all credibility to me when he proclaimed, as a supposed expert, that at Tigers Events hospitality functions at Twickenham all you got was a fork buffet when in fact the programme for such events showed a champagne reception, a four course lunch with fine wines and an after match free bar and supper.

I am sure thier veiws will be given due consideration.
I can assure you 100% that Me2 is not a pseudonym for any of the others you mention. All IP addresses and email addresses are visible to the moderators. As for "thinly veiled attacks" if users have a problem with things you consider as such, please PM the user concerned.
Demelza - another Mother
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Rizzo wrote:I can assure you 100% that Me2 is not a pseudonym for any of the others you mention. All IP addresses and email addresses are visible to the moderators. As for "thinly veiled attacks" if users have a problem with things you consider as such, please PM the user concerned.
Rizzo, from memory you have confirmed that me2 is not a pseudonym for other posters on a number of occasions. The fact that the same accusation continues to be made, despite your repeated assertions to the contrary, serves to highlight the frustration that some of us have experienced.

Bill, I think it only fair to point out that I have previously explained my reasons for placing you on 'Ignore'. Albeit it was contained in the thread that led to me finally losing patience with you, as opposed to a specific pm. I respectfully suggest that you are being disingenious in stating that no-one has 'complained' to you; you are well aware of my views on your posting philosophy.

Quite why I and others should be accused of 'seeking to destroy the forum' is a mystery.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Rizzo wrote:I can assure you 100% that Me2 is not a pseudonym for any of the others you mention. All IP addresses and email addresses are visible to the moderators. .
Rizzo, not wishing to nit pick or anything and with the greatest respect, but I (currently) have two forum identities -Bill W and Bill W (2)- (with different e-mail addresses) and if I shifted 3 feet to the left and logged in on the other computer I would have a different IP address, and btw I have a third e-mail address and access to two other computers with different again IP addresses.

You say 100% - I have greater confidence in writing style analysis that says that there is a greater than 90% probabilty that they are the same person. But maybe you know all three of them personally? Are they triplets? Brothers?

Of course I do not need to hide my identity. I am who I say I am (and many forum members have met me) and my e-mail addresses are on the record. And as many will vouch for I respond to PM's,

But there you go takes all sorts to make the world - and a forum. Some choose only to participate with snide back handed comments rather than open debate - their choice - I wish them well in another place.

And in response to daily's latest - and your comments and insight I truly did appreciate - many insisted for thousands of years that the world was flat - it isn't. Rizzo asserting that the three posters have different e-mail addresses and IP addresses is meaningless.
Still keeping the faith!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

It would be churlish of me to not acknowledge Bill's kind words, so let me express my appreciation.

Bill, would you be happy to acknowledge that there is no great mystery over our disagreement over your posting philosophy? I am aware that this thread is starting to become dominated by a single issue, but I would like to tidy this up.

Similarly, I would be pleased to understand what you meant by your 'seeking to destroy the forum' remark.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

dailywaffle wrote:It would be churlish of me to not acknowledge Bill's kind words, so let me express my appreciation.

They were and are truly deserved daily. I miss your contributions to this forum

Bill, would you be happy to acknowledge that there is no great
mystery over our disagreement over your posting philosophy? I am aware that this thread is starting to become dominated by a single issue, but I would like to tidy this up.

I am aware that your and my sense of humour are not aligned. I may well have overeacted, with hindsight, to your publicly stating that I was on your ignore button. I regret that at the time I did not retract quickly or humbly enough.
Similarly, I would be pleased to understand what you meant by your 'seeking to destroy the forum' remark.

Currently on the forum there are some very articulate and knoweldgeable posters. Both young and old. Some are recent posters. There are also some less articulate posters who (like me?) sometimes get misunderstood. There are others who have been here for some time and with whom one can converse without fear of being misunderstood - although that can, perhaps, be an incorrect assumption - as I made with you. It does the forum no help, IMHO, if what I hope is an innocent piece of market research (Rizzo's Poll) is used to reiterate past annoyances that have lead to forum members going elsewhere. In the case of you and I perhaps past grievances have been partly healed. I hope so. I for one (and I am sure many others) would be delighted if you were to return to the forum. However, I questioned the overall motivation of the negative personal comments, and that was the point of my remark.
Still keeping the faith!
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

As Rizzo says, I use only this identity on this forum, though admittedly I use other identities on other non-Tigers sites. None of those are the ones Bill accuses me of using though!

Just because I and a few other posters don't share Bill's opinions, doesn't mean we are all one and the same person.

I love your claim that you "have greater confidence in writing style analysis that says that there is a greater than 90% probabilty that they are the same person" implying that you have either actually analysed the styles (why?!?) or that you are pretending you have done in order to add supposed "weight" to your incorrect guesswork.

Either way, you're wrong.

Oh, and on the (supposed) comment I made about Tigers Event hospitality, I'd be interested to see what you allege I wrote as, while I remember making a comment, it wasn't the comment you have attributed to me in this thread. It is just another example of you making up false "truths" to try to denigrate other forum users who don't kowtow to you.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Could we now please keep attacks on other users off this thread, and hopefully off the forum? (!)

This poll is set for a 10 day period, after which the results will be considered, any suggestions for improvements or changes will be discussed etc.
Demelza - another Mother
Trout 63
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trout 63 »

Rizzo wrote:Could we now please keep attacks on other users off this thread, and hopefully off the forum? (!)

The fact that this is still such a problem explains why some aren't here anymore.

Like others, I now use the unoffy rather than this forum, facebook or twitter - so its a shame this wasn't an option on the poll.

Whilst there can be moments of annoyance on the unoffy, I find that they are easier to avoid on there and a lot less frequent.

Rizzo wrote:

May I also request - as I have done previously - that if certain users think there are "trolls" who are not being considered or dealt with, then please PM one of the moderators with the username of said troll and your reasons for why you consider them as such. Bearing in mind the actual definition of an internet troll which is "a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

This seems to suggest that tb1's use of the word troll was accurate.

The forum experiance is ruined by a small minority
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Trout - I did not add the Unoffy as an option because I have never gone there or looked at it, whereas I do check up on the Facebook and Twitter posts. Of course, it is another option and it would seem some use both that forum and this one, and others prefer to use one or the other for various reasons.

All suggestions and comments are being logged.
Demelza - another Mother
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

I tend to use facebook and twitter more often than the forum now. Mainly due to the fact the forum does seem to hang for no reason every now and again.

Also whilst I appreciate (or try to) everyone's opinions and points of view the interaction between a number of posters does take me back to the school yard which, in my now advancing years, is a place I don't much wish to visit.

That said I'm more than capable of switching threads and leaving those discussions to run there course without putting a crimp on my day.
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Rizzo, not wishing to nit pick or anything and with the greatest respect, but I (currently) have two forum identities -Bill W and Bill W (2)- (with different e-mail addresses) and if I shifted 3 feet to the left and logged in on the other computer I would have a different IP address, and btw I have a third e-mail address and access to two other computers with different again IP addresses.

You say 100% - I have greater confidence in writing style analysis that says that there is a greater than 90% probabilty that they are the same person. But maybe you know all three of them personally? Are they triplets? Brothers?

Of course I do not need to hide my identity. I am who I say I am (and many forum members have met me) and my e-mail addresses are on the record. And as many will vouch for I respond to PM's,

But there you go takes all sorts to make the world - and a forum. Some choose only to participate with snide back handed comments rather than open debate - their choice - I wish them well in another place.

And in response to daily's latest - and your comments and insight I truly did appreciate - many insisted for thousands of years that the world was flat - it isn't. Rizzo asserting that the three posters have different e-mail addresses and IP addresses is meaningless.
Are we now suggesting the Tuilagi family are involved? The public should be told!

By the way I'm Spartacus and so's my wife.

PS Does this make me a Troll?
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

thebearisstilldeano wrote:By the way I'm Spartacus and so's my wife.

PS Does this make me a Troll?
Spartacus is/was a Thracian and so could not be a Troll who are Scandavian.
Still keeping the faith!